Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not saving MIDI commands between setlists

FarleyUK

Found a slight issue with my Helix over the weekend...

I'm in 2 bands and have 2 setlists - one for each band. In the first bank on setlist 1, I have programmed the patches to initiate midi changes on the amp - these are different to the midi changes in the first bank on the 2nd setlist.

However, it appears that the Helix doesn't remember the midi messages when you switch between setlists - I have to re-program it each time.

Anyone else encountered this?

Setlists themselves don't store anything (except for custom Setlist name). Any MIDI messages set on the Command Center page are stored when saving the preset, regardless of its location.

Selecting presets do however spit out PC messages by default, so if a Setlist has them in a different order, the values will be different. In this case it's best to turn off Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > PC Send/Receive and instead create Instant (lightning bolt icon) commands.

Ah, balls.

OK, thanks - is it something that could be added in the future do you think? It's a real pain having to go through and manually set all the instant commands for the multiple banks and patches I've created for the bands!

If your external devices respond to normal program change messages, you don't have to do anything—just leave that Global Setting on. If you need to send specific PC values per preset, any box would make you program individual values anyway. Or am I misunderstanding the request?

If your external devices respond to normal program change messages, you don't have to do anything—just leave that Global Setting on. If you need to send specific PC values per preset, any box would make you program individual values anyway. Or am I misunderstanding the request?

It's going into a JVM410HJS amp; the amp 'learns' the MIDI command by setting the amp params you want, pressing the MIDI learn button on the amp and then the footswitch on the Helix. 

The problem I have is that in set list 1, in patch 1 I have 4 banks on the bottom row of switches; bank 1 is my main sound (going to the OD1 amp channel), and banks 2, 3 and 4 all initiate the OD2 amp channel with different gain stages and also the master volume 2 on the amp.

In set list 2, I again have 4 banks on the bottom foot switches, but bank 1 goes to the clean channel on the amp, bank 2 goes to the crunch channel, bank 3 goes to the OD1 channel and bank 4 is OD2 with the Master Volume 2 kicked in.

Basically, when I set the PC messages form the amp to each bank, it doesn't recall them between setlists.

Does that make sense?

Any Command Center-based messages get saved with the preset, and saving presets into a different setlist should reflect the same values. Make sure Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI PC Send/Receive is turned off so your Marshall isn't receiving redundant messages when recalling presets.

If you're controlling external gear via MIDI, you should try to get in the habit of using the Command Center instead of the default MIDI PC messages. The latter won't let you reorder anything, as they're tied to the preset number, not the preset. Some boxes have a MIDI PC mapping function, and our instant commands can be used for this, except of course you get six commands per preset instead of one.

Ok, just tried using Command Center instead of using PC messages - and now it just scrolls through the channel gain stage, even when I set the correct CC message and value for a certain channel and gain stage.

However, I have noticed if I set the amp how I want, then save the patch on the Helix, it remembers the settings - without setting anything up in Command Center.

Then, if I press the same footswitch, it cycles gain stage, which I don't understand why....!

You have to disable the PC message sending in the Global setup MIDI section to rely entirely on the MIDI messages you enter in the command center. That's how I use to do with my JVM410H. The JS version support the CC messages, not the base JVM unfortunatly.

You have to disable the PC message sending in the Global setup MIDI section to rely entirely on the MIDI messages you enter in the command center. That's how I use to do with my JVM410H. The JS version support the CC messages, not the base JVM unfortunatly.

Yep, I've done that - doesn't help :(

With it enabled - and using Command Center as above - nothing at all happens.

I had a quick view of the JVM410HJS again and reread your messages... I feel that you could probably achive what you what without the CC messages. At least I would start simple with only the PC instant message. See if you get a behavior thta make sense. You absolutaly need to disable the PC send/Receive in global setting if you want to have setlist's independance. If it all work the way it should you shoudl be able to copy an paste presets wherever you want after that and the correct JVM sxetup will be recalled.

From the manual CC# 12 to 19 do various things like going over the various gain stage, etc. ? It looks you have more than one thing going on at the same time. Just start with a single feature at a time. 

The way I did this was. Configured say PC 1 on a given HELIX preset (command center instant MIDI message). Turned to JVM and configure the clean green with FX loop. Press twice the learn buton than press the preset on HELIX. The JVM associate the PC 1 to the clean green with FX loop. You can copy that preset anywhere you want it will always select the first memory on the JVM.

Once that work OK you can experiemnt with the CC#.  Good luck.

I had a quick view of the JVM410HJS again and reread your messages... I feel that you could probably achive what you what without the CC messages. At least I would start simple with only the PC instant message. See if you get a behavior thta make sense. You absolutaly need to disable the PC send/Receive in global setting if you want to have setlist's independance. If it all work the way it should you shoudl be able to copy an paste presets wherever you want after that and the correct JVM sxetup will be recalled.

From the manual CC# 12 to 19 do various things like going over the various gain stage, etc. ? It looks you have more than one thing going on at the same time. Just start with a single feature at a time.

The way I did this was. Configured say PC 1 on a given HELIX preset (command center instant MIDI message). Turned to JVM and configure the clean green with FX loop. Press twice the learn buton than press the preset on HELIX. The JVM associate the PC 1 to the clean green with FX loop. You can copy that preset anywhere you want it will always select the first memory on the JVM.

Once that work OK you can experiemnt with the CC#. Good luck.

Thanks - that was what I was doing previously :)

Will play around....!

• 9 months later...

Any Command Center-based messages get saved with the preset, and saving presets into a different setlist should reflect the same values. Make sure Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI PC Send/Receive is turned off so your Marshall isn't receiving redundant messages when recalling presets.

If you're controlling external gear via MIDI, you should try to get in the habit of using the Command Center instead of the default MIDI PC messages. The latter won't let you reorder anything, as they're tied to the preset number, not the preset. Some boxes have a MIDI PC mapping function, and our instant commands can be used for this, except of course you get six commands per preset instead of one.

HI I have a similar issue with the command center and EXT AMP. is not saving my 1+2 (tip+RIng), hope you can help me.

After several hours testing the amp switching, I have found this issue with my Mesa Electra Dyne.

When I assign my amp channels in snapshot mode to a new preset, lets say: footswitch 1(green ch), fooswitch 2 (blue 2) and footswitch 3 (red ch) in command center, and press SAVE.
It works. SWITCH 3 CHANNELS

When I add a effects loops block to my preset, and press SAVE.
It  continue working. SWITCH 3 CHANNELS

When I add any effect block, and press SAVE.
The green channel is gone, and replaced with the red channel, so STOPS WORKING 3 CHANNELS. So TIP and RING are not working any more when adding block.

Looks like the TRS 3 options: Tip, Ring, Tip+Ring cannot be handled when used with effects blocks... I only works with the Effects loop block...
Any ideas on this...I haven't tried it with old firmwares, I just got this device and installed the new updgrade...

Hope you have an idea or somebody tell me what am I  doing wrong...