Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix rack and power conditioner

BoneToner

Hey I recently switched to a rack system and have the helix rack, effects gizmo, alembic f2b, a power amp and a shelf powered by a pedal power 2+ These are all plugged into a furman M8dx. And plan to be adding a wireless system for guitar and in ears as well.

I will be powering on the power amp seperately but would leaving the helix rack(and everything else except the power amp) in the on position and turning it on/off with the power conditioner damage the helix? I have been careful to power everything on individually but wanted to know if I could streamline the process

Also I noticed when switching the helix rack off from the front power switch it makes a crackling sort of noise is this normal? It seems to be functioning properly but I don't want to damage it

Clearly DI is right in principle, but it's simpler in my basement "studio" to turn my FRFRs on first, then Helix, then grab my guitar off its stand, and get it plugged in by the time Helix boots. Speakers are on the floor, and it's awkward to reach down and behind them to power them on with a guitar around my neck. Yes, I could wait for Helix to boot, turn on the tuner to mute the guitar cable, turn on the cabs, then pick up my guitar, plug it and unmute it, but speakers first is simpler and quicker.

And FWIW, I don't hear any bad news sounds from the speakers when Helix goes on with the cabs already live, or when I shut Helix down with cabs on. It's possible I'm doing some sort of damage, but not that I'm aware.

Still, if I were you, I'd listen to DI though, not me :)

Although zooey is correct about the Helix being well behaved and not sending a nasty surge when it turns on/off, I still have to agree with DI on this one. Even if you have to get a simple extra power strip with a switch it is still always a good idea to turn anything that feeds signal to a speaker on first and then turn on the speaker. When shutting down use the opposite order with the speakers going off first before anything else. You never know when something be it a mixer or an MFX could fail or surge and blow out or damage your speakers. There could also be cumulative damage from lots of smaller surges. Not expecting that to happen with the Helix just describing best practice for on/off order.

• 1 year later...