Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

500x to L2m connection question

gfpropst

Cross-posting from another board, just realized its probably better to post this here:

Hey all! I've recently acquired my 500x and l2m frfr speaker, and I have a pretty simple question; what's the best way to connect these two for optimal quality? Currently I'm connecting them with an old 1/4" speaker cable that's on the fritz so I'm looking to buy a new solid cable.

I saw some mentions of a TRS 1/4" to XLR cable, instead of simply a XLR to XLR or a 1/4" to 1/4".

Can I get some insight on this? Thanks guys!

I assume you have one L2m speaker so stereo is not a concern. Hence no need for a TRS cable or more than one XLR or regular 1/4" cable. I would use a standard TS 1/4" cable from the L/MONO HD500X output. The XLR output does not sum to mono so if you use a stereo FX in the Hd500 signal chain you will only get half the signal at the XLR output. The 1/4" L/MONO output will sum the full signal to mono so you will get the full sound but not in stereo.

You could also use the L6 LINK connection. For that purpose a standard XLR cable will probably do over short distances but an AES/EBU cable is recommended.

For "optimal quality"... it depends on what you mean by that really.

If you want maximum resolution of the signal when it hits the speakers then L6 Link passes the digital signal at full resolution and the volume control on the HD500 controls the output level of the L2m amp stage - it doesn't digitally reduce the signal before it is passed over the link.

If you want the ability to eq the signal using the Global EQ, (or the L2t if you had one of those) then you need to use an analogue link because it doesn't affect the L6 Link.

I personally use L6 Link all the time because I haven't needed to EQ when using as a floor monitor, but if the speaker is in a back-line position then you might want Global EQ to be active.