Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stupid questions, new user

Dead_Roman

I bought the helix yesterday. This is my first time with modeling but I am trying to condense my rig down to something more portable/versatile. I have 2 pedals that I would like to keep, as they are incredible. The keeley gc-2 compressor and a nocturne billy brain. The gc-2 i just an incredible studio qulity compressor, the billy brain is a copy of the pre amp section of a roland space echo. Does the helix play well with other pedals? I plan to use the helix for everything else.

While I don't use Helix with any additional appendages, so I have no first hand experience with this, one of its design characteristics is that of adding external stuff. Helix has four mono effect loops, or two stereo loops, and whatever is in those loops can be put anywhere in the signal chain.

I bought the helix yesterday. This is my first time with modeling but I am trying to condense my rig down to something more portable/versatile. I have 2 pedals that I would like to keep, as they are incredible. The keeley gc-2 compressor and a nocturne billy brain. The gc-2 i just an incredible studio qulity compressor, the billy brain is a copy of the pre amp section of a roland space echo. Does the helix play well with other pedals? I plan to use the helix for everything else.

You could put each pedal in a Helix send / return, say 1 & 2, and place FX Loop 1 & 2 blocks just like any other Helix model block.

Helix%2BFX%2BLoop.jpg

I would second the idea of exploring the compressors included with the Helix before deciding to use the external one.  Of particular interest if you're looking for a studio level compressor, try out the LA Studio Comp which is modeled after the legendary Teletronix LA-2A optical limiting compressor design.  Here's a pretty decent writeup on it's heritage:

http://www.uaudio.com/blog/la-2a-analog-obsession/

I literally jsut got off abt 2 hours playing with the helix(first time) and ai am very impressed. All i had to listen with eas my in ear monitors though, and I am fairly confident that they dont do the models justice. The bottom ed was distorting considerably. I didnt get a chance to try the compressors.

I'm having great luck running distortions in .... I have a Tumnus (another Klon Klone) and a Tesla (treble boost), and using an eventide H9 going stereo using FX Loop 3/4.    Just make sure if you are going stereo that you put the stereo loop after the last mono processing block or it will sum to mono.  

I don't notice any problems other than the Helix makes everything very very bright and clangy unless you really real in the top end.

However, I would add that I've only had mine for a week, so still figuring things out.   I just used it to record via ASIO over USB.  Basically what I heard in the headphone out on the Helix is what I'm hearing on my monitors after recording.  Can't ask for more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar question, as I'm thinking about getting the Helix

I would like to run three Overdrive pedals in the first three send/returns but will never need to put blocks between them inside the Helix. While I'll usually only have one or two send/returns in use at a time, here and there sometimes I'll use all three at once, then an amp model inside the Helix, followed by my Eventide H9 in the fourth send/return). With all those send and returns going at the same time (the first 3 are in a row) will my signal go digital to analog to digital between the three loops with overdrive pedals that are in a row? Or will it stay analog if I use multiple send returns in a row? For those times when I do use all 4 send/returns, I don't want to experience latency or a noticeable loss of tone. And by lose of tone, I don't mean that if I sit there and A/B in a quiet room and strain my ears I barely perceive a difference. I mean it sounds bad and add noticeable latency