Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which models perform best with "virtual capo"

I'm wondering if any have found specific model that do or don't play nice with alternate tunings ( virtual capo ).  I don't use things like drop D, just standard tuning pushed up a bit like a virtual capo.  I also don't use the mag pickups ( so far ).    I have some, minimal, evidence that virtual capoing up one semitone generally sounds better than going up four.   

I'd also like to hear if anyone has found specific changes that can be made in Workbench to improve virtual capoing.

Personally, I don't think the model matters one way or the other...not in my experience, anyway.

But the tuning itself certainly does. Big pitch shifts are always be more susceptible to artifacts than small ones. Piezo cross-talk can be a problem too, depending on the circumstances. The alt tunings will forever be a compromise.

I think the sitar is the only model that might be affected virtual capo. That's because of its warbly sort of detuned natural sound. As cruisinon2 said the amount of pitch changing with the capo is more significant than the model being used.

Thanks guys.  I realize many things we hear at home won't be noticed in a mix at gig volume, but still think I'll try to avoid more than two semitone adjustments in my attempts to avoid using an actual capo.    Still very happy with my JTV59.  It plays so well my 74 strat has been the case since the JTV arrived.

What I'd still love to see is more detailed videos on Workbench because I suspect quite a bit can be gained in there.

What I'd still love to see is more detailed videos on Workbench because I suspect quite a bit can be gained in there.

Just start poking around...the parameters may have different names, but the process is no different than tweaking an amp model. Try different combos of guitars, pickups, string volumes, etc etc, and see what you like. Nothing is carved in stone. Don't like the results? Put it back the way it was.

• Upvote 1