Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Helix snapshot Variax settings?

mykejb

Is it possible for the Helix to remember the current settings on a JTV Variax and store them with the patch. For example, if I'm working on a new song and I find a tone I like can I save this as part of the patch (not on the guitar) and have the Helix recall it when the patch is selected. I'm thinking saving mainly the guitar model and volume/tone setting and possibly alternate tuning.

Mike

Oh, yes!  It's easy.

In your patch...

There are 3 pages to the "input" block (assuming you have Variax as one of the inputs; Variax is included in the "Multi" setting).  

Go to the 2nd page.

There, you can set the Variax model (e.g., acoustic-2, reso-4), the desired positions of the volume and tone knobs and whatever tuning you'd like to use.

There's other stuff to play with there too.

Save it and you can recall any and all Variax settings whenever you want.

IMPORTANT:  You must use the VDI cable so that your Helix can communicate with your Variax.  I guess that's obvious.

P.S.  You can also use the Variax's volume and/or tone as a controller for the Helix!

Unfortunately Helix only recognizes James Tyler on Standard Variax not Variax 300, 500 or 600. I can't understand why Line 6 released Helix without supporting older Variaxs or even intergration of Workbench. I hope they fix this.

There, you can set the Variax model (e.g., acoustic-2, reso-4), the desired positions of the volume and tone knobs and whatever tuning you'd like to use.

There's other stuff to play with there too.

Save it and you can recall any and all Variax settings whenever you want.

Sounds good

Does the updating work the other way around?  If I change the model settings on the guitar (not the Helix) and save the patch does it save the changes or do you have to make the changes on the Helix? It'd be nice to be able to tweak the guitar to get the right sound rather than have to bend down to the floor unit.

Mike

Unfortunately Helix only recognizes James Tyler on Standard Variax not Variax 300, 500 or 600. I can't understand why Line 6 released Helix without supporting older Variaxs or even intergration of Workbench. I hope they fix this.

I can understand why they might not support the original Variax (I have a 700) as it's a pretty old model now, but I'm hoping that the workbench integration comes along at some point for when I get a new one. Just need to find a store near me (Leicester UK) that has the JTV models in stock. Plenty of places will order but I want to play them first.

Mike

Sounds good

Does the updating work the other way around?  If I change the model settings on the guitar (not the Helix) and save the patch does it save the changes or do you have to make the changes on the Helix? It'd be nice to be able to tweak the guitar to get the right sound rather than have to bend down to the floor unit.

Mike

Yes, you can change the model on your guitar and it will change on the Helix.  You can save that new model selection in your patch.  

As you turn the model knob on your guitar, the display changes on the Helix.  Cool.

It doesn't appear that you can change the tuning on the guitar, then save it on the Helix.  I tried it several ways with no success - maybe somebody else knows how to do it.  But it works fine in the other direction: setting up a tuning on the Helix, then saving it to a patch.

Just need to find a store near me (Leicester UK) that has the JTV models in stock. Plenty of places will order but I want to play them first.

Mike

Good luck.  I live 90 miles from NYC and all I could find in stock anywhere were a handful of Standards.

I bought mine from Sweetwater - they're great.

To change models of your JTV you need to change at input and press the button there will be [ ] appear to show model which you can save to that snapshot. . Also make sure that in global settings snapshot default is set to discard. When activated a red camera apoears in the top right hand corner of the display screen.

Sorry I am kind of dense this morning.  I changed the global setting to discard.  At the input which button do you press?  I have tried changing the 'Preset Variax Model' on the helix and hitting the save button between snapshots.  I have also tried turning the model selector on the JTV directly and hitting save between snapshots but it just defaults to whatever I have set last.   What I am trying to do is have snapshot 1 with the Spank-5 and snapshot 2 with a Semi-5.  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 10/07/2016 at 12:20 PM, abustama said:

Sorry I am kind of dense this morning.  I changed the global setting to discard.  At the input which button do you press?  I have tried changing the 'Preset Variax Model' on the helix and hitting the save button between snapshots.  I have also tried turning the model selector on the JTV directly and hitting save between snapshots but it just defaults to whatever I have set last.   What I am trying to do is have snapshot 1 with the Spank-5 and snapshot 2 with a Semi-5.  Thanks.

You press down and turn the knob used to select the variax model. Press and turn on any setting using those 6 knobs makes it snapshot controlled 

I have not found a way to control the model on/off using snapshots. It works with patches - Variax returns to the state it was in when the patch was saved. But there done't seem to be a snapshot visible parameter for turning the model on/off, or change the mag/model balance. Wish the model parameter had a None option that switched the model switch off.

I’ve just sussed this out. 

On the Helix, press the guitar model button down (like you would for setting any other effects parameter per snapshot). 

If you’re doing this using the Helix Editor on your computer, right-click the guitar model and select Snapshots. 

Hope this helps.