Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

th-IRs-ty Thursday IR's - Mesa Bass 212 with M9 and 400+ amps + Sound Clips

roscoe5

I thought I would post these early since I have missed a few weeks. I went for the bass cab IR's this time as I have an immediate need for a gig, and I really need to show some bass love.  I think these IR's have a bit more depth than the Helix bass cabs.  I'll be trying these out live this weekend just through PA and monitors, no bass amp.

Note that I have also IR'd the horn as well, which is one thing I have been missing from the Helix bass cabs. I think there is also a nice bid of bleed from the woofers in the D2 horn mic that contributes to the overall sound. I intuitively placed a horn block in a parallel block with the woofer IR block and use the IR Block Level control as a horn attenuator (see pic below).

Update!!!  Added sound clips to Soundcloud.

A few sound clips of the factory Helix Cali Bass and Cali 400+ presets with my Mesa Powerhouse 212 + M9 amp or 400+ amp IR's.  The horn IR's were captured along with the woofers.  The horn IR's are placed in parallel with the woofer IR's in the IR preset versions.

Link to main IR folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lstuzn05tdpin9v/AADjdknZwdrze5VqaO7whHroa?dl=0

Link to new Mesa Bass IRs
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuqugyipjaowprn/AADNC4wGQaKIq66QiMF6dgL1a?dl=0

Gear:
Mesa M9 212 Combo Cab, like a Powerhouse 212 but slightly smaller and punchier (MesBas212)
Mesa M9 Carbine (M9)
Mesa 400+ (4P)
Microphones: AKG D112 (D1) on the woofer, Audix D2 (D2) on the Horn

Naming Convention:
<cab>_<amp>_<mic>_<mic position>_<modifier>

IRs:

MesBas212_M9_D1_0oc.wav
MesBas212_M9_D1_1oc.wav
MesBas212_M9_D1_2oc.wav
MesBas212_M9_D2_Horn.wav

These IR's are draft-working as there is a nasty low-mid peak I need to tame with mic position and I ran out of time. The horn is good though. They are still fun to play with and will give you guys an idea of the difference in a tube and SS power amp IR, but I may be replacing these later once I can tame the 400+ beast.

MesBas212_4P_D1_0oc.wav
MesBas212_4P_D1_1oc.wav
MesBas212_4P_D1_2oc.wav
MesBas212_4P_D2_Horn.wav

Mesa%2BBass%2B212%2BHorn%2BIR.JPG

Just came across a cool way to get a bass cab + DI sounds for some more punch and presence. This is pretty standard approach for both stage and studio. I've never used bass IR's before. I saw the IR block Mix % control and the light bulb went on. Maybe I'm late to the party.

For IR blocks, you have a mix control...

Helix%2BBass%2BIR%2BCab%2B%252B%2BDI.JPG

Helix cabs have no mix control, so I had to put in a parallel path with a volume block to pass the amp DI signal...

Helix%2BBass%2BCab%2B%252B%2BDI.jpg

Watch out Ideascale, I'll be comin atcha soon for Mix % on the Helix cabs ;)

Added sound clips to Soundcloud.

A few sound clips of the factory Helix Cali Bass and Cali 400+ presets with my Mesa Powerhouse 212 + M9 amp or 400+ amp IR's.  

The horn IR's were captured along with the woofers.  The horn IR's are placed in parallel with the woofer IR's in the IR preset versions.

• 4 years later...
On 7/8/2016 at 11:54 PM, roscoe5 said:

Added sound clips to Soundcloud.

A few sound clips of the factory Helix Cali Bass and Cali 400+ presets with my Mesa Powerhouse 212 + M9 amp or 400+ amp IR's.  

The horn IR's were captured along with the woofers.  The horn IR's are placed in parallel with the woofer IR's in the IR preset versions.

Hi bro!

May you again upload or send a link to download your IR's ? :)

I will be very thankful becouse I bought Helix and I really want good IR's for my bass.

Thank you in advance :)
Matt

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, Glowal2 said:

Sorry for the late reply.  I probably still have those IRs on my old computer.  I'll see if I can find them and put them on Dropbox this week.

Hi bro!

May you again upload or send a link to download your IR's ? :)

I will be very thankful becouse I bought Helix and I really want good IR's for my bass.

Thank you in advance :)
Matt