Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use snapshots.

PeterHamm

All the guys who've been drooling over wondering about what's new just wet their pants.

All the guys who JUST sold their Helix because it doesn't have scenes just crapped themselves...

All the guys who've been drooling over wondering about what's new just wet their pants.

All the guys who JUST sold their Helix because it doesn't have scenes just crapped themselves...

Ha ha ha! It is a game changer. So now my AX8 is going to sit for awhile. Sigh!

Guess I'm not regretting selling my AX8... Hehehe...

Still got Kemper, but that's just a different beastie... :P

Nah... I had done Axe II XL+ and now AX8. I've just gotten to old and lazy for Fractal now. I spend entirely to much time tweaking versus playing. I finally settled on Helix and bought another Kemper for those change of pace days and jamming at the house and in the studio...

It was a nice piece if equipment, but it's just not enough of a thrill for me to have 3 modelers. Sorry, cliff, the other two just happen to be my faves and especially with snapshots and a Mesa MkIV... WHOOP!

Feature request - can we please get the capability to rename snapshots in the editor. As always it is easier to use the editor for renaming than spinning letters on the joystick roulette wheel.  Thanks!

From the editor manual:

To Rename a Snapshot - Click the desired snapshot from the Snapshots combobox and select Rename Snapshot from the camera icon menu to type in your new name, then press Enter/Return on your keyboard. Alternatively, you can "longclick" (left-click and hold mouse button down for about 2 seconds) directly on the current Snapshot's name in the combo-box to edit it.

• Upvote 1

From the editor manual:

To Rename a Snapshot - Click the desired snapshot from the Snapshots combobox and select Rename Snapshot from the camera icon menu to type in your new name, then press Enter/Return on your keyboard. Alternatively, you can "longclick" (left-click and hold mouse button down for about 2 seconds) directly on the current Snapshot's name in the combo-box to edit it.

Thanks! I looked for it first in the documentation but managed to miss it somehow. Once again, great job Line6.

• 9 months later...

I'm on firmware 2.20-07d9434 and have some questions / requests.

1) Simple EQ for example is resetting to default, when I press the knobs in. Whereas other blocks get white values with square-brackets. Bug or intended? If the latter: Why?

2) Once (maybe accidentally) set to "white-square-bracket-snapshot-mode" > how can I return? Sometimes pressing the know again does the magic, sometimes not?

3a) When I only need 2 snapshots, could I put them on "normal stomp positions"? This would fit perfectly as a command in the Command Center.

3b) I now would like to rename / label the Snapshots ("Distorted", "Clean" etc.) and assign custom colors? Like with normal bypass / controller assignments.

Thanks,

Louis

I'm on firmware 2.20-07d9434 and have some questions / requests.

1) Simple EQ for example is resetting to default, when I press the knobs in. Whereas other blocks get white values with square-brackets. Bug or intended? If the latter: Why?

2) Once (maybe accidentally) set to "white-square-bracket-snapshot-mode" > how can I return? Sometimes pressing the know again does the magic, sometimes not?

3a) When I only need 2 snapshots, could I put them on "normal stomp positions"? This would fit perfectly as a command in the Command Center.

3b) I now would like to rename / label the Snapshots ("Distorted", "Clean" etc.) and assign custom colors? Like with normal bypass / controller assignments.

Thanks,

Louis

1.  Well, to set a parameter to the default, you press and release the knob. To assign it to a snapshot controller, you press and turn. It sounds like you're probably just releasing the knob before you turn it.

2. On the unit itself, if you press and hold the parameter knob, you'll go to the Controller Assign screen. You can select "None" as the controller for that parameter there to unassign any controllers.

3. Not entirely sure what you're asking, but you can't program snapshots to footswitches in Stomp Mode. You can see snapshots only in Snapshot Mode or in one of Preset Mode variations from the Global Settings menu. You can assign a custom color to snapshots, though. Press the PRESETS knob and then Knob 6 (Rename Snapshot). Turn knob 5 (LED Color) to select the desired color. “Auto Color†is the default red.

Thanks for the quick answer! 

1.  Well, to set a parameter to the default, you press and release the knob. To assign it to a snapshot controller, you press and turn. It sounds like you're probably just releasing the knob before you turn it.

2. On the unit itself, if you press and hold the parameter knob, you'll go to the Controller Assign screen. You can select "None" as the controller for that parameter there to unassign any controllers.

3. Not entirely sure what you're asking, but you can't program snapshots to footswitches in Stomp Mode. You can see snapshots only in Snapshot Mode or in one of Preset Mode variations from the Global Settings menu. You can assign a custom color to snapshots, though. Press the PRESETS knob and then Knob 6 (Rename Snapshot). Turn knob 5 (LED Color) to select the desired color. “Auto Color†is the default red.

1. Aaah! Press and turn. Great–

2. Got it, boss!

3. Helix is so customizable; "Mode switching" is great, but I don't see any reason not to make snapshots assignable to Stomps over the Command Mode and bind Snapshots solely to the "Bank mode". Being able to assign only 2 snapshots, wherever I want, would make more use out of the available foot switches. Right now it's pick your poison: a) use awesome snapshots and lose 2 / 4 switches (regarding on "Stomp Mode Switches" setting) or B) don't use snapshots at all.

Does Line6 take the forums into account while developing or can I make a "formal feature request"?

• 8 months later...

When using snapshots do you have to use a amp model or can you use 4cm and use your own amp?

No amp model required, snapshots are epic for a 'pedalboard only' Helix configuration; mostly, because you can put in way more effects that you can assign to individual foot switches, and being able to spill over delays and verbs between snapshots is killer for dialing in your snapshots to go from clean to lead and back with ease.

Just did that last night actually; I've been mostly using my Helix with tube amps lately, and not running it FRFR. It's like having an infinite number of pedalboards - presets, and within those pedalboards having presets - snapshots. All comes down to how you want to use it. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/6/2016 at 2:18 PM, PeterHamm said:

For those who'd rather have a video than read the manual.

Thanks a lot .This video sure did help.The thing that I was doing wrong was that I didn't push the knob down to activate the Snapshot controller.I also realized that after changing settings for different snapshots I would need to save the overall preset, without which I loose the snap shot settings.Now I am trying to figure out what would be the best foot switch setting where I can have 8 presets as well as snapshot on foot switches.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:55 PM, glideman said:

Nah... I had done Axe II XL+ and now AX8. I've just gotten to old and lazy for Fractal now. I spend entirely to much time tweaking versus playing. I finally settled on Helix and bought another Kemper for those change of pace days and jamming at the house and in the studio...

It was a nice piece if equipment, but it's just not enough of a thrill for me to have 3 modelers. Sorry, cliff, the other two just happen to be my faves and especially with snapshots and a Mesa MkIV... WHOOP!

Glideman! ...I know this is an older post, but it relates...so I ended up buying another AX8 thinking I was missing some magical tone out of the Helix...wanted to keep both to be honest, but with some cool IR's and 2,5whatever update, Helix just sounds so good on it's own, and soooooooooooooo friggin easy to operate. ..Sold the AX8 4 days ago....The capabilities of Helix pushed me over the top.. I think I'm going to upgrade my MAudio Studio 4' to 8'...Sound a bit boxy at louder than nearfield vol.    What do you use for studio monitors?  I gave up on the FRFR thing as I just couldn't vibe with it...For recording direct and low-ish volume playing through monitors-Helix is A++++++++++++++  For live, I still have my Mesa Mk IV thru a recto cab.. it's just killer. ..For the most part, I use a few presets I purchased from Freman (Big pack)..tweek them a bit to my liking...pretty sweet.. The MKiV tone you use..Wanna share that preset??  : )  Do you use stock or custom IR's?  (Trying some Ownhammer now.. like them so far..)  Sorry for the long message lol..

• 2 years later...