Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.00

phil_m

I had the same issue of Inerzia....my helix won't start...tried every combination but crashed....now I have the image of helix and helix rack ( I have the floor effect)

Did you install the new Helix application first (will also install the installer)? If so have you tried flashing the update again?

Anyone know if this update addressed the common issue where when connected to the editor (may be limited to Mac) the Helix freezes and needs to be restarted. Happens almost every time for me. 

I haven't had that problem at all with my Mac.

Interesting.  A couple of times I've had the "Helix not connected" message pop up, and I simply unplugged the USB cable from the Mac and then plugged it back in.  A moment later everything was fine, with nothing freezing up or anything like that.  Might be linked to some of the USB audio issues that El Capitan has been suffering.

Nice lob Line 6 love the update so far!!  The guitar impedance adjust on every patch is great not to mention snapshot, Mark 4, Vintage delay etc etc etc...

The tone and sound on the Helix after this update/ 2.00 is the best yet!  

Great job everyone at L6....

THANKS!!    :P

Amazing update! Well done DI and the team :)  Well worth the wait!

Pretty much covered all the important bases there guys. snapshots, tuner granularity ;), improved MIDI ccs, MESA model

I'm really looking forward to the power of snapshots especially.

I would still like the ability to route Send / Return blocks to other things like i/4in outs, XLRs, Digital, USBs, Paths to increase Helix's power even further - but that just seems like small potatoes after the massive amount of stuff in this update.

Hey people! Here's an update:
I tried to reflash the unit with 2.0 and 1.12 several times and it did not work, then I tried 1.01.2 and it completed the flashing, but didn't want to boot, permanently stuck on the patch rebuilding stage, no matter what boot option I tried, until it did work. Tried again with the 5 + 6 option and, where it always got stuck, this time didn't.

So now I'm one of the amazed... I haven't even tried all the new models or the snapshots... I've been playing for two hours with the Mark IV lead, and I think I'll skip dinner.
Oh my, oh my  :wub:

• Upvote 3

Hey people! Here's an update:

I tried to reflash the unit with 2.0 and 1.12 several times and it did not work, then I tried 1.01.2 and it completed the flashing, but didn't want to boot, permanently stuck on the patch rebuilding stage, no matter what boot option I tried, until it did work. Tried again with the 5 + 6 option and, where it always got stuck, this time didn't.

So now I'm one of the amazed... I haven't even tried all the new models or the snapshots... I've been playing for two hours with the Mark IV lead, and I think I'll skip dinner.

Oh my, oh my  :wub:

Glad to see things are working again!

• Upvote 1

This doesn't work. The instructions on the firmware are specific to download the 2.00 editor. If you click this, your website shows the 1.12 editor and unless you initiated you don't know how to get around to find what you need.

Yeah I can see that.. I'm thinking maybe dumping your "recent updates" section altogether and maybe just go with a list of downloads? I got to where I needed to because I knew to ignore what was in front of me and do an actual Helix search on available software/firmware to link again to the appropriate forum page. Its still counterintuitive to follow the instructions and use your link for the editor and it immediately shows a 2.00 Firmware and 1.12 Editor under recent updates and that can confuse people. I've been down this road before so I know to totally ignore your link because its a web page of eye candy/product shots and do a Product/Beta search first and then a Product search to get to what I needed. I don't think that experience is the intent.. No worries though- I did get the firmware/software and its very good! Thank you!

I'm more than amazed by the features that came with the 2.0 update. It's like a Helix+ right now. Absolutely awesome!

I would never have expected that the Helix could be enhanced in such a great and drastic way. To me it seems that it has gone up from 66% to 99%; and I already thought the 66% was amazing.

A very big thumbs up for you Line 6 guys!

• Upvote 1

But here I am a total idiot. What is a snapshot and what is a scene?

Going to upgrade my Helix just now but am I looking for a photo of movie?  :(

Please just a sentence or two so I can grasp this concept related to Helix.

Here's a quick example.

With one touch of a footswitch, I can: change or add amps, change parameters on amps or FX, turn on and off FX... with no inter-patch latency.

But here I am a total idiot. What is a snapshot and what is a scene?

Going to upgrade my Helix just now but am I looking for a photo of movie?  :(

Please just a sentence or two so I can grasp this concept related to Helix.

Line 6 chose to call the new feature snapshots. A scene would be the same thing, just a different word.

A preset has blocks. The blocks have parameters. Snapshot one can have the blocks enabled and disabled in a specific way. The enabled blocks can have their parameters set in a specific way. Snapshot two can have a different enabled/disabled configuration than snapshot one and different parameter settings for the enabled blocks than snapshot one. Snapshot three can have... etc.

Each snapshot can be recalled instantly with the press of a switch, while retaining reverb and delay tails.

It's a different way of thinking about a guitar rig, and very flexible. It's also something that I don't think could be done with a real guitar setup. It's a big advantage of virtual rig.

• Upvote 1

It might help to understand snapshots by comparing them to presets.

A preset is a specific set of amp and FX blocks arranged in a specific order (the signal flow). You can assign footswitches to turn FX on/off, and you can assign controllers like a pedal to adjust the FX parameter values. If you want to use a different set of amp and FX blocks for a completely different tone/sound you create a new preset. Switching presets involves a slight gap/interruption in the sound and a loss of FX trails like delay repeats and reverberations.

A snapshot is a version of a preset. Each snapshot contains all, and only, the amps and FX blocks defined in the preset. Snapshots differ with respect to the on/off state of all these blocks and their parameter values. You create a new snapshot by specifying different states and values for all the FX in the preset. You use a footswitch to select/activate different snapshots, thereby in one stomp action you can change the on/off state of all blocks and up to 64 parameter value changes within those blocks. Switching snapshots involves no interruption in sound and no loss of trails.

In a nutshell, for a different set of amps and FX blocks use a different preset. For a different combination of one set of amps and FX blocks, including parameter values, use snapshots.

The photography analogy is a good one. Think of a preset as the subject of a photo, and a snapshot as viewing the same subject from different viewpoints or angles.

• Upvote 1

Anyone know if this update addressed the common issue where when connected to the editor (may be limited to Mac) the Helix freezes and needs to be restarted. Happens almost every time for me. 

Running mine on a early 2010 iMac and have not run into this issue yet.

Threw away all my old patches. They were pretty much useless now with the new amps...plus they extensively used footswitch assignments.

Built ONE preset. 
It replaced all my old ones for live use!!!

Using all 4 snapshots I now have four completely different sounds (crunch, lead, clean, and a clean "lead" boost)  all in the same preset. 

This is so easy to use now that I was able to do all of that from scratch in about 40 minutes total time (including tweaking and playing). 

I'm REALLY loving my Helix now! Got mine last October. And this update makes it a completely new piece of gear.

• Upvote 2

Wow - some of the most important stuff to me released on my birthday.   I was honestly thinking about trading my Helix, but Snapshots and a MKIV model are just what I was looking for.

I won't be giving up my Mesa JP-2C - but the Helix just got a whole lot more potent for live use.   The MKIV model will get me close enough to the sounds I'm looking for when doing some late night recording.

Now if I can just figure out why I'm getting a loud buzz (not 60Hz hum) with my helix plugged into the front of my amp I'll be really happy. 

Ok did the upgrade no problem

Reset all presets to new factory presets

And restored my patches no problem

Not even looked at the new features. Just first played to hear if everything is ok and it is. 

Just first want to thank Line 6 for the new tuner. That is now world class. Could hear immediately how much better in tune my guitar is now and could see also that my intonation is slightly off. This is the only tuner I now need. Thank you so much

• Upvote 1

I just reloaded in my previous presets that I'd saved just before I upgraded firmware to 2.0 and they are not quite sounding the same.

Haven't got time to go through them all with a fine tooth comb right now - but it looks like the Bypass (Footswitch) assignments have not always carried over properly - so some blocks are on when they should be off.   One Preset sounded like it had a dirt pedal going when it should have been clean to start with.

However - as robbieb61 says I'll probably be rebuilding my 40 odd presets now using snapshots where necessary.. some of them are just 1 sound for the whole song so they won't need to change.

I don't know if it's wide spread but I encountered some patches where the A/B Y is routed evenly and not the way I used them A100 or B100. And Reverbs delay went up to 7. In both cases they were parameters assigned to a footswitch. Stangely, the initial values were none of the min max values. Only had to step on the switch and resaved.

I just updated my helix, I've followed the instructions. Now when I turn it on and press any button it freezes. Should I do the update again?

Did you do the reset procedure? That is, power off and when you turn it on again hold footswitches 9 and 10.

Did you do the reset procedure? That is, power off and when you turn it on again hold footswitches 9 and 10.

Yeah I did that. Only it said to hold in 7 and 8 when I did the update. Does that mean anything? Also I think it started to act up after I restored my presets.

Yeah I did that. Only it said to hold in 7 and 8 when I did the update. Does that mean anything? Also I think it started to act up after I restored my presets.

Have you installed the latest Helix application?

No, I was using the old version :/ Updating now! So should I update the helix again too and then restore the presets?

No, you shouldn't have to update the Helix again... It's probably not a bad idea to do the reset procedure and reload your presets again, though.

No, you shouldn't have to update the Helix again... It's probably not a bad idea to do the reset procedure and reload your presets again, though.

I updated the helix again because it was still freezing. But it seems to be working again now! Thanks for your help!

Updated to 2.0 without any problems.  Turned off AV, turned off FW, app version is 2.00.1, and had complete backups of backups :wacko: Yep that is me.

I followed the instructions to the letter.  Now re-rebuilding after adding all my presets in my two setlists as well as all the IRs which I took a picture of for order.  If I can add a picture to my media (which I am search for how to do) I'll show the post upgrade configuration of one of my presets I had worried about importing.

Dennis

I've just reverted to 1.12 and am now upgrading to 2.0 again.

Had some problems updating to 2.0 - the first time I tried it failed and said something like "unable to update" on the Helix screen.

Then I tried again and it appeared to work - except the text on the Helix screen changed into some weird hieroglyphics about halfway through the update..

It seemed my presets weren't opening properly in 2.0 as I was playing earlier today and just a few minutes ago I plugged USB into Helix to do a bit of recording and Helix froze up.

So I've just done the downgrade/upgrade as I typed this - and it seems to have worked - no hieroglyphics this time!  Hope the presets will work now.

One question.. on the updater screen first page it says to press buttons 9 and 10 whilst and powering up Helix, but then on the next screen it says to press buttons 7 and 8... do you do both?  Or is one of those messages wrong?