Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.00

phil_m

I've just reverted to 1.12 and am now upgrading to 2.0 again.

Had some problems updating to 2.0 - the first time I tried it failed and said something like "unable to update" on the Helix screen.

Then I tried again and it appeared to work - except the text on the Helix screen changed into some weird hieroglyphics about halfway through the update..

It seemed my presets weren't opening properly in 2.0 as I was playing earlier today and just a few minutes ago I plugged USB into Helix to do a bit of recording and Helix froze up.

So I've just done the downgrade/upgrade as I typed this - and it seems to have worked - no hieroglyphics this time!  Hope the presets will work now.

One question.. on the updater screen first page it says to press buttons 9 and 10 whilst and powering up Helix, but then on the next screen it says to press buttons 7 and 8... do you do both?  Or is one of those messages wrong?

I read somewhere and it is simple "press the middle two buttons on the bottom row in fully then switch Helix on and release after switch-on"

When you have buttons depressed and energise the Helix there is a warning on the screen that if you release now all factory presets will update to version 2.0. If you you release the Helix will work a while and after full boot you will have like a brand new Helix V2.0 with none of you patches there anymore and all the global settings restored also to factory settings.

That is when you backup is required. Simply connect and download to Helix your setlist(s) and voila all is there. Then you will have to set again any global settings you may have had previously.

I think there is a slight change in tone and possibly that is because now my guitar input impedance is only "auto". I had that set at 1Mohm on the older firmware but now I cannot find where to set the impedance actually to my value and not the auto default value.

I read somewhere and it is simple "press the middle two buttons on the bottom row in fully then switch Helix on and release after switch-on"

When you have buttons depressed and energise the Helix there is a warning on the screen that if you release now all factory presets will update to version 2.0. If you you release the Helix will work a while and after full boot you will have like a brand new Helix V2.0 with none of you patches there anymore and all the global settings restored also to factory settings.

That is when you backup is required. Simply connect and download to Helix your setlist(s) and voila all is there. Then you will have to set again any global settings you may have had previously.

I think there is a slight change in tone and possibly that is because now my guitar input impedance is only "auto". I had that set at 1Mohm on the older firmware but now I cannot find where to set the impedance actually to my value and not the auto default value.

The impedance setting is now on the input block of each preset/snapshot rather than in global settings.

The impedance setting is now on the input block of each preset/snapshot rather than in global settings.

Yes man! Thanks.

I think Line 6 has it all covered here!

Now just need to check if the USB 1/2 Trim actually trims the input volume when applying backing track via USB from Windows 10 through USB. On previous versions the USB input always went back to 100% output from PC whenever you restarted or disconnected and that could be an ear drum snapper when you reconnect to USB audio from PC

I've updated twice and each time my Helix works for a short time and locks up. I have to reboot it several times before it will be seen by my computer. It seems to happen anytime I open a patch that wasn't created by me or Line 6. Just started my 3rd update. I have followed all steps perfectly.

I'm having a problem with the 2.0 Editor download.     

The download states "You're downloading Helix 2.00" , but when the resulting .dmg file is opened, the opening screen of the installer states "Welcome to the Helix 1.12 Installer."   

Completing this process installs Helix Editor 1.12, not 2.00.     

Thanks in advance for any advice!   

Seems I am not the only one with an issue upgrading to 2.0 firmware. I tried to upgrade using the helix updater, version 1.09 yesterday.

What happens is that it will automatically go to the screen saying the Helix update succeeded and the Helix will now reboot etc etc..

but the upgrade is not being done, its a split second and skips the updating screen.

I tied to uninstall and update the helix updater/loader. reboot etc.. try various usb ports on my laptop and even swap usb cables...

nothing works... any ideas?

thanks ahead of time.

By the way, my 2nd favorite feature after snapshots is input trim! I guess I'm not the only one tried to use their tablet to stream backing tracks. WOohoooO

Absolutely. Just works brilliant. Sound quality from Itunes through Helix now perfect. Volume controllable. Thanks Line 6

I have had an idea in Ideascale for a while that could really use everyone's support, most importantly the support of Line6. Now that we have snapshots I believe it would provide an incredible degree of flexibility and save a ton of time for many users unnecessarily moving around footswitch assignments. Please vote for it here. http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Swap-footswitch-assignments-from-top-row-to-bottom-vice-versa/790520-23508

The idea is to create a setting in global settings to be able to swap all of the pedal assignments from the top row to the bottom row and vice versa. As of now, pedal assignments do not follow your preference choice of whether you want pedals on your bottom row or the top. If you change this preference you would have to reassign every pedal manually. This has become doubly important now that you can assign snapshots to the bottom or top row. This means that if you had your most critical footswitch assignments on for example the bottom row, but now want your snapshots on the bottom row, you have to reassign all the footswitch assignments manually. It would also be incredibly helpful if you decide at some point in the future to switch the row (bottom or top) that you have snapshots and pedal or preset assignments set to.

Additionally right now all of the Line6 factory presets are set for the pedals to show up on the bottom row and the only way to change that is reassign every pedal, one by one. That creates a big problem if you are a player who likes to use the bottom row for presets and have your pedals on the top row.

The Helix has the great feature of allowing the user to decide whether they want to split pedal and presets on either the top or bottom row as well as place snapshots on the top or bottom row. It is a shame to see this functionality entail so much manual labor by not allowing the presets to conform to the users choice without hours (days) spent on manually reassigning every footswitch assignment in the factory or user presets.

If there was a global setting to swap footswitch assignments from the top to the bottom rows the player would be at their leisure to decide for themselves whether they prefer pedals, presets,  or snapshots on the bottom or top row. You would be able to change your preference and have all your factory and user presets which now include snapshot as well as footswitch assignments follow your preference.

Please vote for it here. http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Swap-footswitch-assignments-from-top-row-to-bottom-vice-versa/790520-23508

Sorry if this has been asked before but will we ever have the ability to load 3rd party IR's in a similar way to how the Axe-Fx does? The deep editing I see allowed from the Axe-Fx seems like it would add a much more accurate sound. I currently have the Redwirez Big Box that has a boat load of ambient mics and such that I would love to get some use out of with my Helix. Currently they are going completely unused. 

Sorry if this has been asked before but will we ever have the ability to load 3rd party IR's in a similar way to how the Axe-Fx does? The deep editing I see allowed from the Axe-Fx seems like it would add a much more accurate sound. I currently have the Redwirez Big Box that has a boat load of ambient mics and such that I would love to get some use out of with my Helix. Currently they are going completely unused. 

The Helix has had this capability since the get-go.

Kudos on the 2.0 update! I had no issues with the update and am loving both the Mark IV models (great choice!) and especially the Snapshots feature. That's just a brilliant way of organizing sounds and I love how seamless it is switching from sound to sound. I immediately updated all my patches with snapshot functionality and am extremely impressed so far. I use mine straight into an L2t in a live capacity with my band with outstanding results-- can't wait to use it live after the update.

Great job, Line 6!

I see others had an update problem too, but my Helix seems bricked!  It gave me an error message and said the firmware failed to install and to reboot, which I did.  Now, I get a flashing screen that flashes "Helix Rack" over the "Helix" text and other nonsense.  The Line 6 updater no longer recognizes the unit and I've tried holding down the various reset procedures but with no luck.   Need some help on this one!

The Helix has had this capability since the get-go.

I guess what I'm asking is will there really ever be something allowing us to use more than just one or 2 mics at a time. Something similar to the cab packs that Fractal offers where the cab's have multiple mics on them already like in this where it has 3 https://youtu.be/NlsfAJLsGZw?t=9s. Or maybe just a new screen inside of the Helix Edit That allows for it. For now all we can really do is use the pink IR block and load a one mic IR. Hopefully this explains it a bit more.

Did you do the reset procedure? That is, power off and when you turn it on again hold footswitches 9 and 10.

Mortkort, you may want to edit this post.  Without doing any further research (my bad) I followed your advice.  It didn't just reset my Helix, it Factory reset it. All my mods and custom presets are now gone, but it did fix my freezing issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Sean's just great, sounds and playing both.

PITA downloading all his presets from custom tone. Download links in list view don't work, so you have to open each one individually, then download it from there.

Sean's just great, sounds and playing both.

PITA downloading all his presets from custom tone. Download links in list view don't work, so you have to open each one individually, then download it from there.

This is a long standing bug on the CustomTone page and seems to be login related.  I have two logins, on one the download works from list view and on the other login it does not.