Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Phones output vs jack output

markwesse

Hi All

Have read various raves on forum about jack vs headphones. What Im asking is; Is there any empirical difference in these 2 HD outputs? Noise, what is power out diff, does it feed from the same DA etc

Here is the application;

I always run stereo to PA (which has combo connectors). Its always a small run eg 15ft max. To reduce cable congestion, I just want to run 1 great cable 

photo-1.jpg?bd5206

(AP cables are the bomb...no I mean really it...we use the pro oval in our studio and its soooo good)...via 6.5 stereo headphone out to this cable, and an xlr>2*6.5 mono at the other end. So I want to base any further progress on empirical answers to the questions above. 

Cheers

Thats cool and thanks for the investigation...Im on my way to work...cant be as spontaneous. 2 outcomes...

• Ill use the instrument out...but
  • I wont tweak sounds with headphones but rather through the monitors.

The line 6 tones are ALWAYS edgier than all the other sims, especially the twin and lux, always have to step the treble and presence back and scoop some 250 hz to make up for the mud.

Check out my discussion of IO gain here. I did not measure the noise output but I measured gain and clip levels of all the IO, including the headphone output. You can see the headphone output has about 15dB more gain than the 1/4" outputs. Clip levels are the same.

Check out my discussion of IO gain here. I did not measure the noise output but I measured gain and clip levels of all the IO, including the headphone output. You can see the headphone output has about 15dB more gain than the 1/4" outputs. Clip levels are the same.

WOW!

Thats a great resource.

Hurghanico...you say there is a tone diff...I believe you but could it be impedance loading of the diff outputs rather than eq? Especially loading the headphones differently?

• Upvote 1

my best weapons against the L6 amp models mud are the single input approach, the bass control set quite low, and the cab resonator set very low or at zero,...the (cab) mic choice is always a crucial setting, also to cut out eventual harshness..

Yep definitely...single input...I have followed your very helpful foundational explanations. Thanks again for all that.

• Upvote 1