Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

snapshot mode instead of stomp mode

archisc

Anyone figure out how to display snapshots instead of stomps after activing "mode"

I understand helix can display snapshots instead of presets or stomps or combo in default setting. But I really just want to snapshots instead stomps when I step on "mode"

This may not be the exact answer you're looking for but it's close.

1) Press the Menu Button

2) Press Knob 6 to select Global Settings

3) Use 4-way knob to navigate and highlight the Footswitches icon

4) Rotate Knob 2: Preset Mode Switches and select 8 Snapshots

RESULTS:

This will display all 8 Snapshots on the center footswitches, and also display Bank Up Bank Down as well as Mode and Tap/Tuner. If you now press the Bank Up or Bank Down footswitch, you will be able to select a new preset from those center footswitches and then the center footswitches will return to displaying Snapshots 1-8.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Groups of 4 snapshots can be on the upper row, lower row or both rows of Preset mode. Stomp mode is reserved for stomps.

You can, however, use a short MIDI cable to send Helix itself a MIDI CC69 message from stomp mode to select a specific snapshot or even toggle between two snapshots. This is considered a power user hack, tho'.

EDIT: If you try this, make sure Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI Thru is turned off! Otherwise, you'll get a MIDI feedback loop.

You can, however, use a short MIDI cable to send Helix itself a MIDI CC69 message from stomp mode to select a specific snapshot or even toggle between two snapshots. This is considered a power user hack, tho'.

DOH, I should have figured that out .. nice hack!

I'd much prefer it if there was an option to have the Snapshots on Stomp switches as well.  Perhaps just have a similar selection option for the Stomp switches as for the preset switches.

One thing I find at gigs is that the bank down switch 7 sometimes gets hit when I'm trying to hit switch 8 (whilst I'm also singing) and then I've got to try to find my way over to Switch 6 to cancel the bank up/down preset selection.  It is really annoying.

I tend to use the 10 Stomp mode now to avoid this issue - but this won't work with Snapshots :(  (And I can't do DI's MIDI hack as I need the MIDI out to feed to my amp to switch channels)

• 1 year later...

1) Press the Menu Button

RESULTS:

This will display all 8 Snapshots on the center footswitches, and also display Bank Up Bank Down as well as Mode and Tap/Tuner. If you now press the Bank Up or Bank Down footswitch, you will be able to select a new preset from those center footswitches and then the center footswitches will return to displaying Snapshots 1-8.

I hate to raise the dead, but thanks for this answer.  I'm sure it is in a manual or in some tutorial somewhere.  

The most recent Helix 2.0 User Manual (Rev D) PDF was released in July 2016 with firmware 2.0. Since then several interim firmware versions have been released with numerous feature additions. The 2.0 User Manual has NOT been revised for the interim releases! See the interim Release Notes, at HelixHelp.com or hunt them down on Line 6's site. The 2.0 User Manual PDF remains available to download from the Line 6 Helix Support documentation site.

Line 6 has announced that revised User Manuals will only be released for each major firmare release. This would imply Full Interger numbered firmware releases. The next firmware expected is version 2.30 -- not 3.0! Firmware 2.30 is not going to be released until some time AFTER Helix Native has been released and proven to be stable. Helix Native is currently in beta testing and is expected to be released in the next several weeks. There is no specific time frame. Subseqent to the release of 2.30, the full interger firmware 3.0 will be released with the anticipated updated Helix 3.0 User Manual. Line 6 has made no announcement of any schedule for when this may be expected! Hopefully, 2.30 will be released later this Summer, and 3.0 will be released later this year. Only time will tell....

I'd much prefer it if there was an option to have the Snapshots on Stomp switches as well. Perhaps just have a similar selection option for the Stomp switches as for the preset switches.

One thing I find at gigs is that the bank down switch 7 sometimes gets hit when I'm trying to hit switch 8 (whilst I'm also singing) and then I've got to try to find my way over to Switch 6 to cancel the bank up/down preset selection. It is really annoying.

I tend to use the 10 Stomp mode now to avoid this issue - but this won't work with Snapshots :( (And I can't do DI's MIDI hack as I need the MIDI out to feed to my amp to switch channels)

Actually, you probably can. If the last MIDI device in line has a MIDI through, you just connect that to the Helix MIDI in.

Edit: I just now noticed that I've responded to a year-old post. But, it might still be helpful.

Actually, you probably can. If the last MIDI device in line has a MIDI through, you just connect that to the Helix MIDI in.

Edit: I just now noticed that I've responded to a year-old post. But, it might still be helpful.

Alas - no MIDI through :(  

• 1 month later...

I'd much prefer it if there was an option to have the Snapshots on Stomp switches as well.  Perhaps just have a similar selection option for the Stomp switches as for the preset switches.

One thing I find at gigs is that the bank down switch 7 sometimes gets hit when I'm trying to hit switch 8 (whilst I'm also singing) and then I've got to try to find my way over to Switch 6 to cancel the bank up/down preset selection.  It is really annoying.

I tend to use the 10 Stomp mode now to avoid this issue - but this won't work with Snapshots :(  (And I can't do DI's MIDI hack as I need the MIDI out to feed to my amp to switch channels)

I'll add my name to this list... I really hate that there is a specific stomp mode... in the spirit of this unit there should be 2 modes and let the operator decide how to use them.  I think this could also easily be solved by allowing a snapshot to be assigned to a foot switch in stomp mode.  My ideal setup is locking in snapshots 1-4 on the bottom row and toggling the upper row between the first 4 stomps and the bank listing.  I've got it pretty close but I have an extra tap on the bank button.  Hopefully we'll see this bubble up in a revision soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Groups of 4 snapshots can be on the upper row, lower row or both rows of Preset mode. Stomp mode is reserved for stomps.

EDIT: If you try this, make sure Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI Thru is turned off! Otherwise, you'll get a MIDI feedback loop.

hi,

love this idea, but when I try this on my helix rack the unit freezes. It accepts no command from my Helix-Control until I pull the MIDI cabel out again. Yes, I have MIDI Thru turned off! Tryed it on both FW 2.10 and FW 2.21. Should I get one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/de/miditech_midi_thru_filter.htm

to make it work?

• 4 months later...

1) Press the Menu Button

RESULTS:

The only thing I would add is after step 1, you then press the list button which is right next to the save button on the top left.  this will bring  up Global Settings

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2017 at 6:45 PM, ectoplasm88 said:

. I think this could also easily be solved by allowing a snapshot to be assigned to a foot switch in stomp mode...

+1 

This would be a great feature for me as well. I only use two snapshots and it would be cool to have them on two switches in 8 Stomp mode.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 1:34 PM, jmcecil said:

I asked about this, and stomp mode is for stomps.  You would have to set the preset page to be just Snapshots.  It would then toggle between snapshots and stomps when you hit mode.

HI ,I understand this was posted a while back.I'm a new LT user.How do you set the preset page to be just snapshots?

Thanks