Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to Keyboard Amp for live gigs.

bubba871x

Using my Helix to go directly into the PA system was a nightmare. At every venue the sound is different probably because of acoustics. I am now running my Helix through my Roland GS-212 which is one of the few amps that was made for a muti-effects with two separate inputs directly to the power amps and 12" speakers. However still hitting the limitations of a guitar amp narrow range speakers. Thinking of trying a nice Roland stereo keyboard amp (KC-880) with horn tweeters. Has anyone tried this setup yet?

I would recommend these. I have two of them but at 1000 watts ea. I've only been using the 1 lately. Got them from the same place here too. Miami, FL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Alpha-115-Active-2-Way-15-1000-Watt-Loudspeaker-with-Built-in-Alesis-DSP-/231507046054

I use my Helix Direct to FOH stereo via XLR Out and I use a 1/4in left mono out to one of these for stage sound. Honestly, if your having trouble with your Direct to FOH patches you should look into other ones or try different Global EQ settings. I've found that the Helix has an incredible Direct to House sound. I've been running that way since November of last year and have nothing but good comments on the "front" sound.

You know, that 200w stereo Roland combo might be a good candidate for Eminence Beta 12cx coaxial speakers with ASD1001 horn drivers and their 2.5kHz asymetric crossover. It would be about $300 for all. The Mission Gemini 2 FRFR powered cabs use them and are 110w per side. Xitone cabs also use them.

A cheaper alternative seems to be the Eminence Beta 12lta with whizzer cone. It has a frequency range to 8kHz without a tweeter or crossover. $140 for a pair of these.

I've seen a few Fractal and Kemper posts of people replacing gutar cab speakers with both of these.

I was considering the Mission Gemini myself and went down the rabbit hole researching the speakers.

Those Alesis look nice but the 15" woofer seems very deep for a guitar.  Is your low end muddy at all?

I would recommend these. I have two of them but at 1000 watts ea. I've only been using the 1 lately. Got them from the same place here too. Miami, FL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Alpha-115-Active-2-Way-15-1000-Watt-Loudspeaker-with-Built-in-Alesis-DSP-/231507046054

I use my Helix Direct to FOH stereo via XLR Out and I use a 1/4in left mono out to one of these for stage sound. Honestly, if your having trouble with your Direct to FOH patches you should look into other ones or try different Global EQ settings. I've found that the Helix has an incredible Direct to House sound. I've been running that way since November of last year and have nothing but good comments on the "front" sound.

Don't buy the wrong tool for the job.

If you have a KC880 available, sure. but don't tweak your sounds through it and expect them to sound right in the house and in the PA.

If you are going to spend a grand, get a fantastic FRFR. If you MUST have stereo, get a pair.

I talked to the guys at Sweetwater and the recommended the Mission Engineering Gemini 2.  I was reading specs and spoke with the guys at Mission and sounds like a perfect fit. They have had some good feedback with Helix users. Anyone have any experience with this unit?