Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Command Center With Strymon pedals explanation and question

BoneToner

So with this new update and snapshots I have been messing with midi implementation of the command center to send multiple messages at the same time to my strymon pedals(mobius, timeline, and bigsky) and my effects gizmo, an effects switcher.

After messing with it for quite a while I think I have figured how to switch everything. And thought I would share it. But had a question with tap tempo

I have it set up as follows:

Mobius--Midi Ch2

Timeline--Midi Ch3

Big Sky--Midi Ch4

Effects Gizmo--Midi Ch5

I have an instant command in the command center for each of these they all use the the same basic set up:

Command: Bank/Prog

Midi Ch: XX (this is which ever midi channel is listed above)

Bank CC00: 0 (this can also be 1 or 2 on the strymons for presets 128-299)

Bank CC32: off

Program:(this changes per snapshot, this message corresponds to which preset the strymon/E.G. has)

With this I am able to switch to any preset I have set up on all the devices all at once.

I have two quick questions though, I have the mobius and Timeline set up on two different midi channels so that I could be able to use bypass on each one seperately, because of this I have run into two different issues.

Firstly the bypass command for the strymons need to use

Command: Midi CC

Midi Ch: XX

CC: 102

Value: 0

I've noticed that changing snapshots only lets you change the Value parameter, and the CC# stays the same no matter what on the MIDI CC commands. Is this a bug or is the helix not capable of doing this?

Also the timeline and the mobius both use tap tempo controls but because they are on different midi channels I can currently only assign one or the other to the tap tempo footswitch. Is there a way around this that anyone knows about?

I've noticed that changing snapshots only lets you change the Value parameter, and the CC# stays the same no matter what on the MIDI CC commands. Is this a bug or is the helix not capable of doing this?

Also the timeline and the mobius both use tap tempo controls but because they are on different midi channels I can currently only assign one or the other to the tap tempo footswitch. Is there a way around this that anyone knows about?

Similar to the way snapshots don't let you load different blocks on the Home screen (only change bypass states and parameter values), snapshots don't change the types of messages sent from the Command Center, only the value. This is by design.

Currently, TAP only sends on one Channel at at time.

If you look closely at the table on page 34 of the manual, you'll see we had controlling Strymon's pedals in mind.  :)

Most problems I've had with MIDI controllers not being able to do quite what I want has been solved with a MIDI Event Processor (http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm)  Might be worth checking this out if you're not familiar with it. You can probably use it to duplicate the Tap commands onto another MIDI channel.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Im having a problem with my Bigsky and Helix, My Helix is set to Snapshots on the bottom Pedals on top, 4 snapshots set to have 4 different reverbs on the Strymon. The problem is the strymon isnt seeing the right commands, Helix is set this way;

Bank/prog - Midi ch 1

Bank CC000 - 0

Bank CC32 - 1

Program - 0 Studio

Program - 1 Great hall

Program - 2 Clean up plate

Program - 7 Epiphany

When I try to program the same set up onto other patches It wont work I get different reverbs and often the program numbers turn to Off in the Helix even when everthing has been saved. 

Can you help, what am i doing wrong?

Cheers

Mark

Hi,

Im having a problem with my Bigsky and Helix, My Helix is set to Snapshots on the bottom Pedals on top, 4 snapshots set to have 4 different reverbs on the Strymon. The problem is the strymon isnt seeing the right commands, Helix is set this way;

Bank/prog - Midi ch 1

Bank CC000 - 0

Bank CC32 - 1

Program - 0 Studio

Program - 1 Great hall

Program - 7 Epiphany

When I try to program the same set up onto other patches It wont work I get different reverbs and often the program numbers turn to Off in the Helix even when everthing has been saved. 

Can you help, what am i doing wrong?

Cheers

Mark

You should turn CC32 to off, as the BigSky doesn't respond to it. That could be messing with its ability to receive the PC message.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help, I have done as you said but but no change I'm afraid. I can't see what I am doing wrong, the set up is bellow; however when the two buttons on the far side of Helix are set to Preset  they will change presets on the Strymon, they function as a scroll through the strymon presets. When I assign the Helix snapshots to change the strymons presets they either don't change them or change them incorectly. Nothing seems compatible and I can't work out what to do.

HELP !!!!

Bank/prog - Midi ch 1

Bank CC000 - 0

Bank CC32 - Off

Program - 0 Studio

Program - 1 Great hall

Program - 7 Epiphany

• 1 year later...