Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard with Amplifi 150

cybahous

I don't know what I expected, but I'm a little underwhelmed with the Variax Standard playing through the Amplifi 150. The VAriax Standard is modelling the sounds, but so is the Amplifi. I guess my question is: is there any need to use both together and What amp would you suggest using the VAriax with?

You're right that there are two modelers. The Variax is a guitar modeler and the AMLPLIFi is an amp/FX modeler. Using both together allows you to use different combinations of guitars and amplifiers.

The question of what amp to use with Variax has no 'right' answer. There are historical combinations that you can use to create familiar sounds. For instance, an early Beatles sound can be obtained by pairing a Gretsch (R-Billy) or Rickenbacker (Chime) Variax model with a VOX (e.g. AC-30) amp. Or you can get a sound like John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and a million other artists by pairing a Fender guitar (T-Model or Spank) with a Fender amp (Deluxe, Bassman, Blackface...). Or go Led Zeppelin and Guns 'n Roses with a Les Paul (Lester) guitar with a Marshall (JCM-800, Park 75,...) amp. Or a Jazz style with a semi-open guitar body (Semi or Jazzbox) with the Roland JC-120 amp. Or...... on and on.

But again, there's no right answer. Just like in the real world you can connect any type of guitar to any type of amplifier. Experiment to find the sounds that you like.

I don't know what I expected, but I'm a little underwhelmed with the Variax Standard playing through the Amplifi 150. The VAriax Standard is modelling the sounds, but so is the Amplifi. I guess my question is: is there any need to use both together and What amp would you suggest using the VAriax with?

Apples and oranges...

Variax models different guitars...Strats, Les Pauls, Teles, etc. Amplifi models various amplifiers. There's no redundancy here. Each is doing something different. Amplifi can't model a Telecaster, and the Variax can't pretend to be a Marshall.

Use any amp you like...depends entirely on what kind of sound you're looking for. Whether or not you end up liking the instrument and it's modeling capabilities has little to do with your choice of amp.