Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and built-in wah pedals

talonmm

Looks like I'll be buying the Helix and am now thinking about a pedal board build around this unit.

I love the Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 wah pedal and the cry baby wah I have because both units shut off when not in use.

Does the Helix offer a similar function in any of the wah pedals it models?  I'd love to make a smaller foot-print and avoid an additional wah pedal if the Helix offers an auto shut off feature,

thanks!

The Wahs in the Helix are really great. Usually I prefer most of them with the upper frequency dialed down a bit, but they are really close to the real deal. I tend to like the Chrome most, but they are all good. And I think there is a Morley model there, too. Just try them out, they rock!

I don't like wahs in these things because I generally want to use my EXPs for other things, and it's so easy to put one before the unit or in a loop, so just use the wahs you have in a loop is my recommendation.

I don't like the sweep of the exp pedal in the Helix for a wah so I actually bought a wah pedal.  The sound of the wahs are great and it's nice to have the huge variety.

But to answer your other question, there is no "auto on" function for the wah in the Helix.  You have to activate it either with the toe switch or one of the other foot switches.

Or control both the position and mix, and when the pedal is in the heel position, it's effectively off, but always ready to go with no switch pressing required. Doing it this way does change the way the wah sounds a little though. Maybe you won't like it.

• 5 months later...

Oh by the way, some awesome guy (me, myself and I) made a video comparing the Helix Wahs to a CAE 404 (this was when the Helix was really fresh still).

Which wah did you find sounded most similar to the CAE? That was my go-to wah for a couple years before I got the Helix and I still haven't really found a wah sound that I love in the Helix yet. Do you change the sweep or Q settings to any of them?