Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yes, another FRFR question

mileskb

I hope this is at least a new take on an old question, and well... time has passed too.

Background... I was dead set on getting a pair of QSC-12 speakers to use with the Helix.  I love my Custom Genz Benz cabinet and since adjusting the global EQ it's been stellar.  It's fine for what I'm doing at the moment, but if I'm gonna start playing out again, I want to something I can use for a monitor, even have my vocals sent to it.

Just recently I started looking at the L2M offering from Line6.  They are in the same price range as the QSC K-12...

A little voice in my head is saying  "get the L2M because it's designed as an FRFR".

The other little voice says... "yeah... but QSC is known for sound quality"

The then first voice says, true, "but still QSC is known for PA sound and Line6 is building modelers and they know what they should sound like."

Then the other voice kicks in and says... "well, the QSC's can double as PA speakers, side fills or floor monitors if you need them for your PA rig"

And you guessed it... voice one kicks in and says "yeah, but seriously.. you've been mixing live sound on and off since the 70's, if someone had L2M's on the stage or QSC K12's... you'd make'em sound good no matter what wouldn't you?"

So it appears.. the voice that's a fan of the L2M (he calls himself the voice of reason), has won.  But I wanted to get some input from others on this before I commit.

I realize I probably can't go wrong either way... but neither voice is happy with that response.

Thanks in advance.

I have gone with 2 L3t's. Perfect. Enough power and true HiFi for my backing tracks which go via Helix through the exact same speakers. The available volume is huge with 50% volume setting on the speakers and all my presets are setup around 0dB gain for each block used.

I cannot sing otherwise I would have tried the microphone via same Helix out to same speakers.

I do not think you can buy better for a "one man band" setup and you can use same speakers at home for brilliant HiFi sound from your TV or just general at home. The L3t's have equalisers also (which I set at neutral) but that could be usefull where you want to adjust you home sound system for the room. 

And if you want to travel light you can take only one L3t with you and still have plenty power. Of course your stereo backing tracks will now not be that useful or sounding that great.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Chris... while using them at home for TV isn't really applicable, I do like practicing to backing tracks and hadn't thought about that part of the equation. If I want to play along with something now, I can run it through the helix to my custom cab, but it really sounds kinda crappy that way as it doesn't have the range.  Would be nice to play along with tracks, pretty much as they would be live. 

Also, when the studio is complete, having a decent playback system is nice.  It might be time to retire my Bose 800 system which was a killer playback system for its day.

However, this is leaning me back toward the QSC K12 :(   It has the similar voicing options with the onboard DSP, a built in 2 channel mixer if I want to go light-weight, and speaking of light-weight, it's smaller and 16 lbs each lighter.   

Miles the QSC may be smaller and lighter but really the combination of quality of sound and power in reserve of the L3ts is a huge plus. You can play them soft or loud they sound beautiful. You take two of them with your helix to a stage and you are nog going to be dwarfed by the drummer.

Stagesource 3s and don't look back.  Get a L2 if you want something more compact/light and just need to monitor yourself on stage.   But when you play in stereo with two L3s using the L6 LINK and cables, you'll wonder why you ever considered anything else.  The way the stagesource system communicates with itself is stellar.

I have one QSC K12 and really like it. I have not heard the other you are considering. I've never used it for a gig, but had a party in my backyard with an iPod and it rocked, use it for practice and music at lower volumes all the time, plus I've used it to set up presets for HD500 and Helix with good luck and it translates well to our church PA. I like that it can be used vertically or as a wedge. With the Helix and QSC up loud it sounds great. Good luck with your decision.

Either works just as well.  I have one l2t and qsc k12's. They are equal in sound quality. The qsc's are a little more compact.  I take two qsck12 one ksub, rack, one l2t stagesource, 3 guitars, keyboard, all stands and wife in a 4 door chevy sonic.  The k12's are easier to pack, move around etc compared to an L3.  Wife wouldn't be able to handle an L3 but she can handle a k12 on occasion.

Try out the Behringer KXD12 !!!

I tweaked the EQ of the KXD12 at 140hz and could use all my patches i made with my headphones.

The KXD12 sounds realy great, warm, clear and bright! I was realy blown away! I bought a second one and play stereo!

You can hear that its made of wood and not plastic as some FRFR monitors. The amp is small but the wight is 18,3 kg.

The english Turbosound speaker ist great. Sounds and feels like an guitar amp.

After using two DT25 Heads with cab, some different FRFR monitors I now found what I was looking for.  

Try out the Behringer KXD12 !!!

I tweaked the EQ of the KXD12 at 140hz and could use all my patches i made with my headphones.

The KXD12 sounds realy great, warm, clear and bright! I was realy blown away! I bought a second one and play stereo!

You can hear that its made of wood and not plastic as some FRFR monitors. The amp is small but the wight is 18,3 kg.

The english Turbosound speaker ist great. Sounds and feels like an guitar amp.

After using two DT25 Heads with cab, some different FRFR monitors I now found what I was looking for.

I have one of these too. They're really good and bridge the gap between PA cab and guitar cab. Very reasonably priced, well worth auditioning.

I am a fan of Behringer gear.  Was mixing a band recently with their Air X18 mixer and those Midas pre-amps are awesome!!  

So yeah...  I will give them a try.  Thanks

And to add to my own thread...  Alto revamped their previous offering and now have the TS212.  I saw them at NAMM and frankly thought they were more high-end in price just in quality, tone, presentation...  it turns out they are just under $300 each...  

Yeah, I have an X32 rack mixer and an SD16 digital snake stage box. Both have Midas preamps and I love love love that rig for the ultra portable and even large house PA. The Android 3rd party app puts everyone on Wi-Fi into a router I keep in the rack and everyone does their own monitor mix.

And to add to my own thread...  Alto revamped their previous offering and now have the TS212.  I saw them at NAMM and frankly thought they were more high-end in price just in quality, tone, presentation...  it turns out they are just under $300 each...  

Yeah the Alto has always been popular among the HD500X crowd as it's a really good value.  The TS212 compares quite favorably with Yamaha DXR12 (which is what I use) yet is priced at half of what the DXR is, so it's an outstanding value.

Behringer had some bad years several years ago with poor QA on their stuff.  They seem to have overcome it, but you have to put up with people telling you that their stuff isn't dependable based on what happened with them back in the early 2000's.  I have some Behringer floor wedges that have been real workhorses for us.  I still think the Alto is better bang for the buck though than Behringer when it comes to their monitor offerings.  A little more state-of-the-art in their DSP on the speakers when it comes to EQ'ing and speaker placement properties.

Our other guitarist in our band compared QSC K series to the Line 6 L series speakers and he thought the Line 6 speakers sounded better. I think he was testing them as keyboard amps however, so you mileage may vary.

-Max