Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 75 decrease volume with resistor or with speaker change?

I have the Spider IV 75 bought, since he technically DSP offers more than the smaller models. But he is too noisy for the living room. I would not change/edit/save on every preset the channel volume.

Can I clamp a power resistor in series to the speaker? What Value 8, 16 or more Ohm to decrease the volume noticeably.

Or is the better way to change the 12" speaker to 8" a speaker.

Sorry for my bad english.

What you have to remember with a guitar amp is that the sound you hear is based on the volume.  You can tell this by using the master volume control after setting the tone you like with the other controls.   When you turn the master volume down, the overall sound will change - its a matter of the speaker not moving as much, not pushing as much air.

Adding a power resistor or changing the speaker will really not help.

I would like to control the master volume fine. Because 1 watt in the living room something may already to much.

Can you give me some technical backgrounds?

If the potentiometer digitally recorded by a microcontroller, or simply changing the gain of the amplifier in the feedback field?

What resistance (ohms), the master volume control on? log or linear type? Perhaps the fault is to be found here.

Large 12 "speakers deliver at 1 watt of power a lot more volume than a small speaker systems. In addition, a smaller speaker transmits less bass and more treble what more would I also liked.

I also like the smaller models Spider IV 15/30 good. But there is missing the entire FX options. That's why I bought the large 75 Spider.

Smaller speakers can't deliver as much bass due to their size.  Not sure there is any published information about the actual specs on the Line 6 potentiometers and other components, and I doubt they would supply it to anyone but an authorized repair center.  Have you thought about using the headphone/DI output of the Spider IV 75, and running that to another amp or powered speaker?

I play in a small room with my Spider iV-75 and it can  get loud.

I bought the foot pedals and found that I get greater volume control off the pedal.  Put the pedal full down and tune the master volume on the amp to very loud then push the petal to silence and find my happy volume place.

Also I found if you don't have good mater volume set the you may not get full effect of the setting your playing.  E.g My Strat still sounds twangy on a really heavy distortion setting

Kkelly9 illustrates what I was saying - as you overall volume changes, so does the sound.   For sure a 75 can get real loud in your practice space at home!  I used mine to practice with a 6 piece band including a loud drummer, and it had the volume to do that easily.  At home, I try to keep the master volume under 4-5, but I still get complaints from my wife and our cats!

Decades ago I did my brief stint in a apt & headphones were the only option.

I briefly used a low wattage amp which was "OK" but even then the volume needed was too much. Headphones delivered what I needed to hear.

I was looping the solo to Bark at the Moon while learning it (using an amp mind you) and nodded off. The poor ole lady living below us had to listen to it for about an hour **oopsy**. She was not a Jake E. Lee fan btw. :)

-B