Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot in Helix App

archisc

How can I create snapshot and change setting and save snapshot using Helix app only?

I manage to change setting using the actual Helix physical controls. But when I start from scratch using the app only, it does't save settings. e.g amp drive. Although I can get snapshot to remember on/off, tempo, etc.

Am I missing something?

Upper left corner you will see the snapshot pull down. It's there all the time. Just change to what you want and save. I haven't figured out how to change the snapshot name in the editor yet but I am sure it's easy also. It is so easy on the device that I have been doing it there.

Upper left corner you will see the snapshot pull down. It's there all the time. Just change to what you want and save. I haven't figured out how to change the snapshot name in the editor yet but I am sure it's easy also. It is so easy on the device that I have been doing it there.

You can either hold the left click a little longer on the snapshot name, or choose rename in the dropdown on the camera.

Clicking on the camera icon in the editor will allow you to select the Rename Snapshot option. You can also do it by clicking and holding your mouse over the snapshot name. In both cases make sure to hit the Enter key to complete the operation.

Thanks, I've tried this but it's not saving parameter changes like amp gain or eq settings, it only seems to save on/off states.

Thanks, I've tried this but it's not saving parameter changes like amp gain or eq settings, it only seems to save on/off states.

That seems odd. First step in troubleshooting: Close the editor (Helix app) and power cycle both your computer and the Helix device.

If that doesn't fix things reinstall the Helix app/editor.

The try using different usb ports on your computer.

If all of the above fails open a support ticket.

That seems odd. First step in troubleshooting: Close the editor (Helix app) and power cycle both your computer and the Helix device.

If that doesn't fix things reinstall the Helix app/editor.

The try using different usb ports on your computer.

If all of the above fails open a support ticket.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried all of the above, I made a very simple test patch and still have the problem. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour before I open a ticket? 

I suggest you open a support ticket now. It's likely that no one can confirm this behaviour because it's not normal.

While awaiting a response to your ticket, I suggest you (re)read the documentation on Snapshots to make sure you understand how to work with them and what behaviour you should expect after each operation you do.

EDIT: In particular, examine the SAVE and DISCARD global setting for Snapshots.

I suggest you open a support ticket now. It's likely that no one can confirm this behaviour because it's not normal.

While awaiting a response to your ticket, I suggest you (re)read the documentation on Snapshots to make sure you understand how to work with them and what behaviour you should expect after each operation you do.

I figured out what I was doing wrong with some help from TGP forum, You have to go into the Controller Assign tab first, select the parameter and assign it to Snapshots. Thanks silverhead for your support!

• Upvote 1

I figured out what I was doing wrong with some help from TGP forum, You have to go into the Controller Assign tab first, select the parameter and assign it to Snapshots. Thanks silverhead for your support!

TYVM! I knew there was a way to do this but over read it, and this just now dinged for me lol! Thanks again.  :D

• 1 month later...

Say...once in Snapshot mode on the board...how do you get out of it? I know you press BANKs simultaneously to get in...did not seem to work to get out...

It should... You just have to make sure you're not holding down the buttons too long (holding them down for two seconds changes the function of the bank switches themselves).

I dont get these snapshots at all...Is there any other place to hit "save" other than the main save button in the editor? All im doing by hitting that button is overwriting the preset. By clicking over the camera im offered copy and rename options, but but never anything else. right clicking does nothing. Renaming is simple.

Im trying to do everything from the editor. Maybe thats not possible. Sorry, i havent made it to the manual on this one yet.

• Upvote 1

I dont get these snapshots at all....... Sorry, i havent made it to the manual on this one yet.

To readers who may have seen an earlier version of this post: I have edited it to hopefully remove the 'scolding' tone of the earlier post for which I apologize......and to make it more generally applicable than directed solely to the poster.

I think the two quoted statements above are related. Perhaps it's time to read the manual. The basic concept of snapshots and their usage is explained more clearly and thoroughly in the manual than anyone else could do here.

The rest of this post is aimed at users in general, not you specifically.

When broad general questions like this are asked here I wonder why users don't simply read the manual. By asking the question here you know you're going to have to read the explanation anyway, whether here or in the manual. Why not read the manual, where you know it is accurate and has been written clearly by a technical writer? As an added benefit, in the time it takes to post the question and await a response the poster could have read the manual and had the answer already. And even better - the manual also explains and answers the followup questions that you are sure to have after reading a less clear, perhaps inaccurate, and certainly only partial response that you are likely to get here.

As to this question specifically, I think the critical piece you may be missing is the concept of a Snapshot being essentially a new type of controller. The mechanics of how to use the Snapshot controllers is all clearly documented.

• Upvote 1

I dont get these snapshots at all...Is there any other place to hit "save" other than the main save button in the editor? All im doing by hitting that button is overwriting the preset. By clicking over the camera im offered copy and rename options, but but never anything else. right clicking does nothing. Renaming is simple. Im trying to do everything from the editor. Maybe thats not possible. Sorry, i havent made it to the manual on this one yet.

The big thing is that the way snapshots save is dependent on how you have the Snapshots Edit parameter under Global Settings > Preferences set. If you have it set to "Recall", your changes will be saved automatically, both when editing on the unit itself and in the editor. If you have it set to "Discard", you have to hit the save button (twice on the unit, once on the editor) to save your changes (your essentially re-saving your preset).

Personally, I like leaving that parameter set to "Recall" because it just makes more intuitive sense to me. I also like that you can make a change to a snapshot without having re-save the entire preset. That way it's easier to just start over if you end up wanting to go back.

The big thing is that the way snapshots save is dependent on how you have the Snapshots Edit parameter under Global Settings > Preferences set. If you have it set to "Recall", your changes will be saved automatically, both when editing on the unit itself and in the editor. If you have it set to "Discard", you have to hit the save button (twice on the unit, once on the editor) to save your changes (your essentially re-saving your preset).

Personally, I like leaving that parameter set to "Recall" because it just makes more intuitive sense to me. I also like that you can make a change to a snapshot without having re-save the entire preset. That way it's easier to just start over if you end up wanting to go back.

Phil, you did point out that "Recall" was pertinent to when you are editing the Helix but I wanted to make it a little clearer to anyone who has not messed about with those settings. Whether you have the Global Settings >Preferences set to "Recall" or "Discard" you still have to hit Save either on the Helix or the Editor at least once if you want those changes to be there the next time you either switch to that preset or after powering down the Helix. The "Recall" setting is not an "automatic" save. Without a save the change is only retained as long as you are in that preset. The difference is that when you are editing within a preset when the setting is "Recall"  if you make a change to a snapshot and switch to another snapshot, your change will still be in the last snapshot when you return to it; but only as long as you don't switch away from that preset without saving. The parameters you changed in the previous snapshot also needs to have been assigned to "Snapshot" (indicated by square brackets) or changing that parameter in a subsequent snapshot will change it for all snapshots regardless of whether your setting is "Recall" or "Discard". Either way, you will have to save the preset for any changes to be there next time you use it.

I prefer the "Discard" setting so that changes I make during a performance do not "stick" when I change away from that snapshot. I like the explicit save required with the "Discard" setting such that I know that when I return to that snapshot it will be in the same state I originally saved it in. If I want a change in a snapshot to be persistent, then I save it before switching snapshots. Just a matter of personal preference in how you like to program a preset and your process while performing, but depending on your preference setting ("Recall", Discard") you may have to save before you leave the snapshot ("Discard") or preset ("Recall") if you want certain settings to be there next time you use that preset. The difference is with the "Recall" setting you don't need to save snapshot assigned parameters between snapshot changes while you are programming the preset. You will need to save once when you finish editing all your snapshots in that preset.

I'm sure this is what you meant, but the Recall and Discard settings don't only apply to parameter changes, they affect bypass states too.

I too prefer discard, but there's a consequence to be aware of. Presets remember which snapshot was active when you saved them, so saving the changes to any OTHER snapshot requires saving twice. The first save you do to save the state of that snapshot, but it also makes that the default snapshot for the preset. You then need to recall the snap you want as the default, and save again, so that's remembered as the current snapshot.

I can see someone wanting Recall instead, so for example, you turn on a delay in one snapshot, and it stays on when you recall another one. Personally, I'd rather my snapshots came back in a known state -- the way I saved them -- but you do have the choice of transient changes persisting if you want it.

Phil, you did point out that "Recall" was pertinent to when you are editing the Helix but I wanted to make it a little clearer to anyone who has not messed about with those settings. Whether you have the Global Settings >Preferences set to "Recall" or "Discard" you still have to hit Save either on the Helix or the Editor at least once if you want those changes to be there the next time you either switch to that preset or after powering down the Helix. The "Recall" setting is not an "automatic" save. Without a save the change is only retained as long as you are in that preset. The difference is that when you are editing within a preset when the setting is "Recall"  if you make a change to a snapshot and switch to another snapshot, your change will still be in the last snapshot when you return to it; but only as long as you don't switch away from that preset without saving. The parameters you changed in the previous snapshot also needs to have been assigned to "Snapshot" (indicated by square brackets) or changing that parameter in a subsequent snapshot will change it for all snapshots regardless of whether your setting is "Recall" or "Discard". Either way, you will have to save the preset for any changes to be there next time you use it.

I prefer the "Discard" setting so that changes I make during a performance do not "stick" when I change away from that snapshot. I like the explicit save required with the "Discard" setting such that I know that when I return to that snapshot it will be in the same state I originally saved it in. If I want a change in a snapshot to be persistent, then I save it before switching snapshots. Just a matter of personal preference in how you like to program a preset and your process while performing, but depending on your preference setting ("Recall", Discard") you may have to save before you leave the snapshot ("Discard") or preset ("Recall") if you want certain settings to be there next time you use that preset. The difference is with the "Recall" setting you don't need to save snapshot assigned parameters between snapshot changes while you are programming the preset. You will need to save once when you finish editing all your snapshots in that preset.

I'm sure this is what you meant, but the Recall and Discard settings don't only apply to parameter changes, they affect bypass states too.

I too prefer discard, but there's a consequence to be aware of. Presets remember which snapshot was active when you saved them, so saving the changes to any OTHER snapshot requires saving twice. The first save you do to save the state of that snapshot, but it also makes that the default snapshot for the preset. You then need to recall the snap you want as the default, and save again, so that's remembered as the current snapshot.

I can see someone wanting Recall instead, so for example, you turn on a delay in one snapshot, and it stays on when you recall another one. Personally, I'd rather my snapshots came back in a known state -- the way I saved them -- but you do have the choice of transient changes persisting if you want it.

All good points Zooey, thanks! You addressed the additional points regarding which snapshot is active when you initially select a preset as well as how the Discard/Recall settings affect bypass states and Phil_m got the ball rolling with his notes on "Recall" behavior. And of course, bypass behavior is slightly different when you first set up a preset as the bypass settings you establish in Snapshot #1 will be the same in all the other snapshots. Once you start switching snapshots the bypass states in the snapshot you are editing (e.g. Snapshot #1) will not only be retained differently depending on the Discard/Recall setting, but the behavior will also change once you start saving subsequent snapshots and the bypass settings in Snapshot #1 are no longer necessarily the same in all of the other snapshots.

Seeing these last three posts regarding snapshots almost makes me want to see a grid that shows "Initial Snapshot Setup", "Recall" and "Discard" on the "X" axis, and the various behaviors regarding bypass, parameters, snapshot assigned parameters, and initial preset snapshot behaviors on the "Y" access. The documentation is pretty good and you learn these behaviors through experimentation but that visual might be helpful particularly to people just starting out with the Helix or snapshots.