Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using battery is too annoying.. Any solution?

It's been a month using JTV-69.

everyday I have to check battery status, and it's too annoying to me.

well you think it's nothing, but my battery runs shorter than new battery.

Yesterday, i was recording a song and suddenly variax turned off with pop sound.

I was surprised and the battery was the reason.

battery drains unless I took it off, but I don't want  to do it everytime.

I know there's pod x3l or HD models (over hd500) supplies variax power.

but it's little expensive and too big to use in my home.

I think purchasing spare battery is the best solution to my situation,

How do you think guys?

any other solutions to this??

And Im curious that people who using only one battery don't complain this? 

Get the XPS-A/B footswitch which switches between normal unbalanced guitar jack and balanced XLR outputs and also remote powers the guitar.  For the price it's a steal, (and I really don't say that too often with musical electronics).

When I first got my JTV59 I had a problem with the charger, it would not start charging the battery at all.  A replacement was given and it worked for a while but I notice that now the battery never finishes its charging cycle, the charger continues to flash red permanently, and that's after 4 hours during the evening and overnight!  There does seem to be some issue with either chargers or batteries or both.  I'm sure others will know whether that is true.

Get the XPS-A/B footswitch which switches between normal unbalanced guitar jack and balanced XLR outputs and also remote powers the guitar.  For the price it's a steal, (and I really don't say that too often with musical electronics).

When I first got my JTV59 I had a problem with the charger, it would not start charging the battery at all.  A replacement was given and it worked for a while but I notice that now the battery never finishes its charging cycle, the charger continues to flash red permanently, and that's after 4 hours during the evening and overnight!  There does seem to be some issue with either chargers or batteries or both.  I'm sure others will know whether that is true.

you mean this one?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxPwrKit

I found that about two weeks ago, but I don't know how exactly to use.

I use audio interface, is this signal path right?

(1. guitar-VDI cable-footswitch-1/4" cable-audio interface-PC)

(2. guitar-1/4" cable-footswitch-1/4" cable-audio interface-PC)

I have no idea what XLR balanced cable for.

Yes, that's the one.  You simply plug in the guitar to the footswitch with a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve - stereo) jack cable, then connect the footswitch output to your amp with a standard TS (Tip Sleeve - mono) guitar lead.  There is a power supply supplied with the footswitch which plugs into it, and it routes the power to the guitar using the TRS cable so you become remotely powered and are not using the guitar's internal battery.  You also have the option of switching the footswitch over to a second balanced XLR output for inputting direct to your PA.  You may not need that, (I don't use it either for the PA), but it is useful if you use the acoustic model at all.  I have a second ultra clean amp which I switch to for acoustic numbers, that sounds better than using my normal amp even on its clean channel.

Balanced connections are better than unbalanced from the point of view of noise and hum pickup.  An unbalanced connection has a signal wire and a ground wire.  Any noise and pickup induced into the signal wire remains there at the input of the amp as the ground does not pick it up too and it is the difference between the two wires which counts.  A balanced connection has three wires.  One is a ground which exists only for screening and to give a common reference at both ends.  The other two are both signal wires and they carry a +ve and a -ve version of the signal.  That means the -ve is exactly the same as the +ve but is reversed so it goes down as the +ve goes up and vice versa.  At the input there is now special circuitry which takes the difference of the two to be the signal.  This means that we actually get a bigger voltage by a factor of 2.  The clever thing is that any noise picked up will be the same in both wires and in the same direction.  When they are subtracted the noise will cancel out.  This is similar to humbucking pickups.  Sort of like this:

If the guitar signal is V, the ideal for us would be:

(+V) / (-V) (from guitar)

= (+V) - (-V) (at amp)

= (+V) + (+V) = 2 x (+V)

Now in the real world with noise pickup of N:

(+V) / (-V) (from guitar)

= (+V + N) - (-V + N) (at amp)

= +V + N - (-V) - N

= (+V) + (+V) + N - N

= 2 x (+V) (the Ns cancel out)

I know this is a bit Mathsy if your not keen on algebra but it's not too hard to get just the general idea.  This is one reason why balanced connections are used as often as possible in studios and professional installations.

I know there's pod x3l or HD models (over hd500) supplies variax power.

but it's little expensive and too big to use in my home.

Yes, batteries suck. Always have, always will. But if the POD is to "big", what exactly are you playing through now? The POD's footprint is about as small as most multi-fx floor units get.

Yes, batteries suck. Always have, always will. But if the POD is to "big", what exactly are you playing through now? The POD's footprint is about as small as most multi-fx floor units get.

I use only Audio interface and VSTi (Bias FX).

well, I can use pod hd500, but I think I won't use most functions that spaces big area.

simple is the best to me.

As I am not a professional guitarist, audio interface and PC are enough.

but because of the battery concern, I am searching ebay now.

If I win the bid cheaper than  I expected, I will get it.

But now, I'm not sure whether spare battery or HD500.