Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I set this up?

David-St-Hubbins

I just got a Fender Super Sonic with an effects loop. I've been running my 500x into a Blues Jr or Orange Duel Terror that don't have that. I want to be able to use the amp alone with the pod effects only and be able to switch to run it with the amp models with all the effects bypassing the amp controls. I'm guessing there is a way to do this with the 4 cable method but I'm confused about where to place the amp and fx loop.

Thanks for the help!

I usually set the fx loop before the amp, with the "PRE" type fx before the fx loop and the "POST" type fx after the amp. Then you set a footswitch button to control both the amp and fx loop and save the preset with one ON and the other OFF, depending on which configuration you want as the default. Pressing the assigned footswitch will toggle the amp/fxloop.

PRE type fx like distortions usually go BEFORE the amp/fx loop, POST type fx like delays go AFTER. Putting all the fx before the amp/amp model is like having all of your real world fx on a pedalboard in front of a real amp with no fx loop.I think I read somewhere in here that when using a complete POD amp with cabinet combo (vs preamp only) that the effects that you place after the amp model are actually between the preamp and amp sections, like a virtual fx loop. Not sure about that.

If you're toggling between real amp and amp model I don't expect that amp/fx loop or fx loop/amp order matters, but it might if you're using the POD fx loop to insert real fx (as opposed to toggling between a real amp and an amp model).

Along the lines of "whatever sounds best", whether you use full amps or preamps, with or without cabinets, with whatever mode (direct, combo front, etc) is really up to you. I've gotten good sounds using non-standard combinations where the obvious choices sounded like crap (to me).

How to 4CM:

1. Guitar > Pod guitar in

2. Pod effects loop out > Amp guitar in

3. Amp effects loop out > Pod effects loop return

4. Pod unbalanced out > Amp effects loop return.

Pre fx come first in the chain, like ODs, pre EQs, some modulations/filters, etc.

then you can place the effects Loop before or after the amp block, assign them both to the same foot switch (with one on and one off) to toggle them on and off. This would be a good way to go from clean to mean without changing presets. Turning on the fx loop (and the modeled amp off) gives you the preamp from your physical amp, but when you turn it off, you're only getting signal from your power amp. Make sure to select one of the PRE models and turn off cabinet modeling to do it "right" but I've used all kinds of different combinations in the past.

Then Reverbs, delays, post eqs and such.