Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 500x Shortout?!?!

ArykCChicago

had my Pod HD500x plugged in and set up thru my amp. Wanted to edit via the software editor and so had the USB end plugged into my laptop and then went to plug it into the Pod. When making touching the end to the Pod everything shorted out. My computer restarted as well as the pod. When I restarted the pod up, the screen is now blank and it doesn't work. Also, had a TC electronics mini reverb (it's digital) in the chain after the pod and before the amp, that is now not working as well.  Any idea as to what just happened? How to I remedy this?

Check the USB port on your HD500X. Is there a black rectangular plastic piece in the port? If not, and you can see the 4 pins inside the port, you may have just shorted out the USB connections in your POD. I can see this causing your computer to reboot. I suppose it's possible that this affected your amp and pedal too via some sort of power surge from the shortout.

If that black plastic piece is gone your POD definitely needs servicing.

Try holding down the POD's left (or right?) nav key while powering up. If you can get it to start up in this mode try reinstalling the firmware.

Or, if you can get your hands on another power supply with EXACTLY THE SAME SPECS, try it.

If neither of those things work it needs servicing.

The same happened to me three times. First time I was plugging pod into my interface and interface into a power amp to power some speakers. the power amp wasn't even plugged in and I saw Sparks. Bricked Pod and my Poweramp was never really the same after that.

the second time, new device, became bricked as that Center black piece in my USB port come out and got stuck in the USB cable itself, and then the prongs got bent which shorted it out.

the third time I was plugging a USB cable from my interface into the pod and it shocked me and dim the display on my pod for a few days before returning back to normal.

I'm always reeeally careful with my pod now..