Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Finally blown away

sheehanje

The 2.0 update finally has made the Helix my dream pedal board.   I've been struggling trying to get it to do what I want with my amps - first with a Mesa Mark V with mini amp gizmo, now with the Mesa JP-2C with it's Midi Capability.

It seemed I could change a lot of settings on the fly, but with a lot of tap dancing - but the new Snapshot feature is just what I was looking for.   After fooling around for about 2 hours, I got it to do what I want - Change my Amp settings and Pedal settings with 1 button.   

Up until this update, I wasn't sure each week if I was bringing the Helix to rehearsal.  I have yet to play a show with it, but next Friday I will be using it for my bands CD Release show.   I was using the Helix mainly as a late night scratch recording tool.  Once in a while I'd bring it to friends with a couple studio monitors to do some lower volume guitar noodling.  I think the amp models are really good - but I really wanted the Helix to upgrade the effects I had with the M13 in front (and in the loop) of my tube amps.

I haven't really played too much with the Mark IV models - but I will.  One thing I really like is the new vintage delay - it sounds awesome.  Definite upgrade (to me) over the simple delay I was using with the unit.

Anyways - Line 6 knocked it out of the park with this update.  For me the update process was very smooth - been reading some of the issues people have been having with the update not working - hope they get it resolved because it's really a great update.  I haven't reviewed Helix on any sites yet - because I knew big updates were in the works - and I knew scenes (snapshots) weren't too far off being a much talked about topic in the forums.    I'm now a very happy Helix owner.

• Upvote 4

Yeah the New V2.0 upgrade and the Snapshots feature really does open up a whole new world of possibilities doesn't it? All I've been doing for the last 4 days is  . . . .Playing my guitar!!!!! That's a wonderful thing. When you have a device that sounds so good it makes you . . .  Want to practice . . . :D

• Upvote 5

Same here! I bet that's what they wanted to put to market last year but ran out of time. That is much more of a finished product.

1.0 had exactly the features we had planned and scheduled for at the time; snapshots were always going to be a post-1.0 feature. We were originally going to release other stuff you haven't yet seen for 2.0; requests on IdeaScale dictated we prioritize snapshots instead.

Scenes (Snapshots) have been around for a while now, in other products. Im glad Line-6 added this to theirs.

True. Snapshots have been in DAWs and digital mixers for well over a decade.
  • Upvote 2

1.0 had exactly the features we had planned and scheduled for at the time; snapshots were always going to be a post-1.0 feature. We were originally going to release other stuff you haven't yet seen for 2.0; requests on IdeaScale dictated we prioritize snapshots instead.

Big thanks and deep appreciation for how responsive you have been to your user base as well as following your own inspired design initiatives! You have a huge win on your hands and it is deserving of a prosperous future and destined to be a great success.

We were originally going to release other stuff you haven't yet seen for 2.0; requests on IdeaScale dictated we prioritize snapshots instead.

You sure know how to build up the tension ... Now people are going to bug you for the next update 😉

But man, you guys sure did an amazing job with 2.0. It's almost like I have a totally new device! I'm thrilled by the new possibilities and I was already a happy camper with 1.12.

• Upvote 1

Yes me too, I've to say that the Helix completely changed my 'players fun' and I can't stop playing, enjoying & loving the beauty   :wub:

Never had a line 6 product before, but I would really like to put some big thumbs up, not only for the outstanding product, but also for the best and most transparent customer service and company implication, I've seen till today!!

Thanks Line 6 and their employees!!

• Upvote 1

I consider we were the early adopter so I sort of expected some shortcomings but now it's pretty much where I was hoping it was. This MFX was a long time in development and I'm sure you had all the time to dream up all the possible and the impossibly good stuff. Again, thanks for L6 commitment in this category. Now time to fix the dual cab bug ;-)

And the Helix is going to the next level of play. B)

So two things;

1. I am now a believer in the snapshots feature
  2. I'll probably be so immersed in playing I will only be a little anticipatory of the next revision

Seriously,  Great Job Line 6

Dennis

So I just got back from my first rehearsal with the Helix 2.0 firmware - worked flawless.   No tap dancing.

I'm probably one of the users with very low requirements in effects, but my priority is having it all seamless.   Worked like a charm using 4 snapshots:

Snapshot 1 (Clean):  Change JP-2C to Channel 1, Turn off Amp EQ's - Turn on Amp Reverb, Turn on Chorus, Turn on Helix EQ

Snapshot 2 (Rhythm):  Change JP-2C to Channel 2, AMP EQ1 On, Amp Reverb On, Amp Shred Mode On, Turn off chorus

Snapshot 3 (Lead):  Change JP-2C to Channel 3, AMP EQ2 On, Amp Reverb On, No Shred Mode, Turn Off Chorus, Turn on Delay  --  Minotaur Boost Available but off

Snapshot 4 (Lead w/Wah):  Same as above, but turn on Wah

It's so simple now it's brilliant.

Why not just have the way turn on with a top press?

I'd like to try your patch!

You mean the Wah?   I still can turn it on in any of my "snapshots" by pressing the top button - but with the 4th snapshot, it puts me in with the lead sound with the wah already on, so I don't have to do a second button press.

I'd be glad to share the patch - but it's built for my Mesa JP-2C in 4 cable method - so very specific to that setup.