Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buying a New Amp...Firehawk 1500 or DT with HD500x?

chrismreeves

I'm simplifying my setup, selling all my analog gear and going to digital/modeling.  I don't gig anymore and it's just for playing in my office.  Never mind the wattage of either or how loud they get.  I'm just looking for sound quality differences.  Fire away and thanks for the help!

If you are just playing at your office, go for an Amplifi with the G10 wireless. The Amplifi is small, has great tone capability and the wireless is great because there are no wires!

*Home office.  Not interested in the Amplifi.  Had one of those already.  Liked it well enough.  Looking only at the Firehawk 1500 or the DT setup.  Thanks, though!

Ok, Then I'd go for the Firehawk 1500 and G10. I have all of them. (Fire hawk 1500, HD500, DT50 2x12, DT25 and L2M, G70) You will be able to get fun tones at a decent volume with the Firehawk easier than with a DT/HD setup.

The HD/DT is great for running multiple amps, splitting the signal and running Acoustic tones one way and electric tones the other (provided you have a Variax), Vocoders and a slew of other stuff.

But for the home office?...The Firehawk to me is just easier to navigate.

• 2 weeks later...

in my opinion the Firehawk 1500 is the best choice of all the options mentioned in this thread. I've owned all 3 products. The interface between the Firehawk 1500 and Amplify are very similar if not exactly the same. I felt the Amplify had great features such as tone matching to songs and the tone cloud but lacked volume. I do feel that the Firehawk 1500 does miss with "feel" or has response compared to the tube DT amp and some pedals. I do not know the term to use but I would say a guitar connected to a tube amp has an organic feel. I was never satisfied with the PodHd500x, I had the PodHd500x running thru a Dt25 combo and a Dt25 head with the 1x12 extension cab. When I saw the Firehawk 1500 videos from NAMM I was very interested and once released I bought it. I am extremely satisfied with my choice.

1) The Firehawk 1500 interface is much easier then the PodHD500x(Granted the PodHd500x allows more complex signal chains)

2) The Firehawk 1500 is one box that does it all vrs. A pod or peddles plus an amp(s) (The pod can be ran XLR out to a PA or powered speaker that would be an additional cost).

3) Streaming music on a loud as all hell Bluetooth speaker, it sounds great. This is a great option, if you own a Firehawk 1500 and haven't tried it your missing out. Backing tracks sound great also.

4) the Firehawk 1500 can be used as a FRFR speaker or stage monitor.

Did I mention that the Firehawk 1500 is loud.... You can easily play in a garage band or small venue. With the added XLR out to a PA as an option.

It's not a Helix as far as the modeling, there are limitations but you can get some pretty respectable tones from the Firehawk 1500.

I saved pricing for last. There were a few Firehawk 1500s for under $800.00 US on EBay, I expect these were blemished or customer returns. The way I look at it, I won't feel as bad when I add a few more dings to the unit . The last time I checked the price of a used PodHd500x and a Dt25 combo and a Firehawk 1500 is roughly about even. I had a FBVII so I was able to use that with the Firehawk 1500, it does not have the colored rings but it works.

Hopefully this will help with your decision.

• 1 month later...