Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv And Hd500 Undocumented Feature (does Not Work For X3)

I just upgraded from the X3 Live, to the HD500.
One thing that always bugged me about the X3 works much better with the HD500:

If your modeling knob is not engaged, and you pull up a patch which forces a model, it WILL TURN IT ON.

This never happened with the X3L.

Sometimes I would start out with songs on magnetic pickups and at some point in the set switch to a patch for an acoustic sound.
If my modeling knob was engaged the patches which specified the MAGS channel would not let the modeling come through, and switching to a patch that forced models would allow only the modeled sounds to come through without the mags... just as you would expect.

The problem was, if I ever forgot to push that knob in and engage the modeling function, when I switch to a patch for a model (typically acoustic), you would still only hear the magnetic pickups. I tried to remember, always, when plugging in my VDI cable immediately engage the modeling function or else I would forget.

This is NOT the case with the HD500! If you push the modeling switch to turn it off (unlit), then select a patch which forces models, you will see the light come back on!!!!

Sorry about the rant, but this excited me last night when I realized it!

This functionality really threw me at first.

Until i got to grips with the models, i just wanted to use my 89F on Mags only - with maybe one song in a set trying an acoustic patch.

However, every time i changed patch the modelling would turn on - it was driving me nuts!

I think it was after a lot of forum digging i found that whatever state the Variax is in when you save the patch (mags, or a modelled patch) then this is what it reverts to when you click it again.

So i hjust had to select every patch, turn off modelling (light goes out), Save patch, repeat.

Phew!

This functionality really threw me at first.

Until i got to grips with the models, i just wanted to use my 89F on Mags only - with maybe one song in a set trying an acoustic patch.

Why don't you change the input(s) on those patches to variax mags? That way, it doesn't matter if the modeling gets turned on, the mags are the only thing getting routed to the pod.

Why don't you change the input(s) on those patches to variax mags? That way, it doesn't matter if the modeling gets turned on, the mags are the only thing getting routed to the pod.

If it was on Variax Mags as the input, what would happen if i needed to use a "normal" guitar in place of the variax?

If it was on Variax Mags as the input, what would happen if i needed to use a "normal" guitar in place of the variax?

Ahh... Yes, I forget everyone is not using the variax exclusively. Some would argue that the whole point of the variax is so you don't need to switch guitars.... BUT not everyone will be that sold out.

I now use my JTV exclusively. I use just the magnetic pickups for my electric tones, and I use the modeling for my acoustic stuff. Also, allows me to "blend" between acoustic and electric sounds with a smooth transition. I really like the sound of the magnetic pickups. The electric models are fine also, but I'm more of a simple "one acoustic, one electric" kind of guy. I might venture out more in the future, but for now this is what works for me. I like to play around with the other sounds, but I've never used them live.

I guess, you COULD copy all your patches to another bank (or set of banks), and save those with the "guitar" input.

But then the solution you have already found sounds like it might be a little more elegant for your needs.

Just make sure the second input is set to guitar in and you should be able to use both. The only thing you would lose would be that the tuner won't work on the non Variax guitar; it only works with the first input.

Cheers,

jayson

Just make sure the second input is set to guitar in and you should be able to use both. The only thing you would lose would be that the tuner won't work on the non Variax guitar; it only works with the first input.

Cheers,

jayson

I didn't realise that about the tuner - thanks for the tip dude!