Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Feature Request - Assign Programmable Keyboard Shortcuts to Footswitches

sltmunky69

I would like the ability to assign programmable keyboard shortcuts or keystroke combinations to the footswitches on the Pod HD500. This functionality would drastically increase my productivity when using recording programs such as Studio One that way I can actually focus on trying to record my track rather than constantly having to put down my pick, grab the mouse, press record or rewind the track back to a certain spot if I mess up, hurry up and grab my pick and attempt to get it in the optimal playing position in my hand for that particular style of music I'm playing before I miss my queue in the song and then have to start all over again. I know thousands of people probably use this product, but it almost makes it to where you have to have two people just to record a track easily (or maybe I just don't give myself enough time to prepare before I start playing). Regardless, there are several products out on the market that can do this, but it would amazing if I didn't have to buy an additional set of footswitches just to do this. So please, make it happen, I love you long time. :)

The POD already has that capability. You can assign MIDI commands to the POD's footswitches, which you then "map" to the DAW's controls.

I don't use Studio One, and Presonus has chosen to hide it's user guide in the software, rather than provide a pdf version. You didn't mention what version you have, but I found an "Unofficial" guide to v3 here:

http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-one-blog/free-studio-one-pdf-user-manual

I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but instructions for controlling the software with a MIDI device start on page 255. A cursory look causes me to think that it's a PITA, but you should be able to set up the MIDI functions of the POD to work it. If you don't know how to use the POD as a MIDI controller, see page 117 of the advanced user guide. In Looper mode the control buttons also send MIDI, so you might want to use those to map to the DAW Transport controls. Just turn off the volume on the POD Looper when you're using it for that purpose.

If you can't figure it out in Studio One, and their support and forums can't help, you may need to get a different DAW. I use Ableton Live and Cakewalk Sonar, and I've read that it can be done with Reaper, too.