Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah Pedal And Snapshots...

robbieb61

So I've got 7 snapshots I'm using on a preset. 

Problem: The wah isn't playing well with my setup. 
I put a wah near the beginning of the chain. I go to a snapshot and I turn the wah on and use it...no problem. I turn it back off. 
Later I go to another snapshot. I turn the wah on...but it's "stuck" in position. The pedal isn't "opening and closing". It's just stuck in whatever the last position it was in before (which is "100" because I have to use that damn toe pedal...lol)

What is the solution for this? At the moment, I've simply removed the wah completely from the preset. But I'd like to be able to use it if I can.

Yes, same problem, I've had that a few times, but only when I also had a volume pedal before it in the chain. I deleted both blocks, reinstated the volume pedal to the last item in the chain before the output block, and reinstated the wah at the start of the chain and that seems to have sorted it out. Not ideal, but it's working for now. I'll keep,an eye on it for next few days and make sure it doesn't reappear with patch changes and powering on and off.

I don't use a volume pedal at all. Just a wah. So that can't be my issue. 

It's strange....when I go to a snapshot where the wah is NOT working correctly....I can see the parameter of the wah pedal moving when the wah is NOT turned on. But once I engage it...the parameter stays stuck at "100"

I don't use a volume pedal at all. Just a wah. So that can't be my issue. 

It's strange....when I go to a snapshot where the wah is NOT working correctly....I can see the parameter of the wah pedal moving when the wah is NOT turned on. But once I engage it...the parameter stays stuck at "100"

If you can see the parameter changing but the wah block is off, it means you have the wrong controller selected. Engaging the toe switch also toggles the on-board pedal between EXP1 and EXP2, so you just have to get them lined up correctly. As long as you turn your wah on and off before switching snapshots, it should always work correctly. The other thing is to make sure you have the wah block in the same bypass in each snapshot.

I made sure I have it bypassed in all the snapshots when I saved the preset. 

And I haven't done anything to cause it to switch between EXP1 and EXP2 in the wrong order. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing that is different? I've never had this happen before, but I'm running everything differently now with snapshots (and it's much better...except for this one little problem)

Same issue here. That doesn't solve it @phil_m. The only workaround I've found is to re-engage the toe switch and press a snapshot button again. It only happens when you engage the toe switch and switch snapshots before disengaging it.

I made sure I have it bypassed in all the snapshots when I saved the preset. 

And I haven't done anything to cause it to switch between EXP1 and EXP2 in the wrong order. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing that is different? I've never had this happen before, but I'm running everything differently now with snapshots (and it's much better...except for this one little problem)

Same issue here. That doesn't solve it @phil_m. The only workaround I've found is to re-engage the toe switch and press a snapshot button again. It only happens when you engage the toe switch and switch snapshots before disengaging it.

Well, you both are saying different things... Robbieb61 is saying that the EXP1/EXP2 toggle gets messed up even when he switches after turning the volume pedal back on, and smythejmd is saying it only happens if you switch snapshots before disengaging (which is what I would expect). FWIW, I tried re-creating this last night, and I couldn't get the EXP1/EXP2 to do anything unexpected in regards to changing snapshots. As long as I toggled back to EXP1 before changing snapshots, everything worked as expected. If I didn't, it would get messed up.

I guess all I can say is double-check the bypass states in all you snapshots. If you have the Snapshots Edits parameter under Global Settings > Preferences set to "Recall", any changes made in a snapshot are saved automatically, so it can be quite easy to accidentally change the state of a block.

I'm just gonna not use a wah until the Line 6 folks fix this little bug. :)

I don't think it's a bug but it shure is annoying. I hit the same problem.

I think the problem lies in the possbility to change the bypass state of the wah without changing the assigned pedal (EXP1 to EXP2 or reverse).

I'm not sure how to solve this without loosing other functionalities.

I don't think it's a bug but it shure is annoying. I hit the same problem.

I think the problem lies in the possbility to change the bypass state of the wah without changing the assigned pedal (EXP1 to EXP2 or reverse).

I'm not sure how to solve this without loosing other functionalities.

There are a few workarounds, or perhaps, strategies would be a better term, that I can think of.

1. Don't change snapshots while the wah pedal is engaged.

2. If you use an external pedal connected to EXP2, this issue goes away.

3. If you don't want to use an external pedal, you could put a dummy plug in the EXP2 jack. This may or may not be acceptable, though, depending on how you use EXP2. If you are only using the on-board pedal to control wah and volume, you can still do that while still using only EXP1. Just assign both relative parameters to EXP1, and since both effect will toggled opposite each other, you can still use them both normally.

There are a few workarounds, or perhaps, strategies would be a better term, that I can think of.

1. Don't change snapshots while the wah pedal is engaged.

2. If you use an external pedal connected to EXP2, this issue goes away.

3. If you don't want to use an external pedal, you could put a dummy plug in the EXP2 jack. This may or may not be acceptable, though, depending on how you use EXP2. If you are only using the on-board pedal to control wah and volume, you can still do that while still using only EXP1. Just assign both relative parameters to EXP1, and since both effect will toggled opposite each other, you can still use them both normally.

Thanks for the input, I think option 3 will be good for me!

I tried this with a jack adapter to mini jack but it doesn't seem to work.

Pressing the toe switch still makes the pedal go to EXP2 and back.

Is a dummy plug something else?

Or am I missing something?

I found what was wrong!

I had the wah connected to switch5 instead of the toe switch :wacko:

Also, a stereo dummy doesn't work. When you press it in completely it shows EXP1/EXP2 again.

Just found out the same happens with a mono jack. Is this normal behaviour?

I tried this with a jack adapter to mini jack but it doesn't seem to work.

Pressing the toe switch still makes the pedal go to EXP2 and back.

Is a dummy plug something else?

Or am I missing something?

Hmm... Thinking about this some more, it might be that the Helix's auto-sensing/auto-calibration for these jacks might be make this not work. Perhaps it actually needs to see a resistive load for this work. Were using a stereo adapter plug? It might be worth just plugging a regular mono cable in to see if that makes a difference... I'm kind of suspecting now, though, that this simply might not work.

Yeah, mono didn't work either. With a guitar plugged in at the other end does work so it seems there needs to me a load.

Pressing the stereo plug in somewhere halfway works.

Maybe shorting a mono plug would work?

Edit: shorting the plug works! B) 

I've had the same issue. Revealed itself at a gig on Friday.  Just spent a few minutes with Helix to verify some of what others have suggested. 

No issue when I turn off the wah before switching scenes. I spoke to Line 6 today and made them aware of the issue.

Joe

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Man, I have this same problem most of you have and it's really the only problem I have!  Hopefully there's a fix soon. I'm lucky enough to be able to use Helix Edit on stage while I play, so if it gets confused I can fix it easily enough, but I'd rather not have to even think of it.  My Wah sometimes switches to Expression 2 and then my Volume goes to Expression 1.  When it's supposed to be the other way around.

I'd also like one more feature on the scribble strip above the pedal instead of displaying Expression 1 and Expression 2 at the same time, let us have the choice of only displaying one or the other according to which state it is in.  I know one can change the name of what it displays, but it changes it for both, regardless of which state it is.  I'd like it to display Wah when I'm on Expression 1, and then display Volume when in Expression 2. 

I've had the same issue. Revealed itself at a gig on Friday.  Just spent a few minutes with Helix to verify some of what others have suggested. 

No issue when I turn off the wah before switching scenes. I spoke to Line 6 today and made them aware of the issue.

Joe

Thanks for that!

A would be solution, the onboard exp1/exp2 toeswitch state should ideally be recalled as saved per snapshot, it seems strange that it doesn't work like this as the other stomp switches do. Engaging the wah block by switching to exp1 in a snapshot, then changing snapshot where the wah block is off but as exp1 is still selected messes it all up, so now the pedal is still controlling the wah even though the block is off and the volume block is on but the pedal is no longer controlling it.