Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Incoming; 2.0 or no?

jamesklotz

So my Helix should be in in the next day or two. I know only what I've seen/read online about the device, so learning it will be 1st on the list.

So my question is; I've read a bunch of posts about them not working properly, locking up, etc after the 2.0 install. Should I hold off from installing 2.0 for now? I use snapshots/scenes with the KPA all the time, so it would be quite useful for me. I just don't want to screw it up before I even hear the thing. Are the issues with 2.0 that widespread, or is it just a few isolated incidents? Should I wait for 2.01 to address some of this stuff?

While I am asking, one thing I really like about the KPA is, when using a volume pedal, and I turn it all the way down, the tuner automatically comes up on the screen. Is it possible to run the Helix like this?

Thanks guys!

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah! upgrade ASAP! The new snapshots is definitely the Helix experience you want, and the new Mesa amp models are stellar! And the new delay. And the new tuner! But really, the new snapshots - it alters how you think about presets and patches so much, you don't need to mess with a non-snapshot version, just go for it in it's best form that is available! 

Just follow the instructions in this video, actually - since you don't already have Helix, much of the installation issues people have with pre-existing software - IE earlier versions of the Helix software, drivers, and Line6 updater software - shouldn't affect you. You also don't have existing patches, so you don't have to save your patches before updating the software.

I used a Windows 7 or 8 machine, don't recall which, had no problems at all. Just did it yesterday actually! You will want to download the latest Helix software bundle, which has the drivers and the updated updater program. Install that first. You can also download the firmware file manually, but it worked fine for me to just let it do that within the update process.

If you want to go directly to where Glenn starts the update process walk through, skip to 2:50.

I've owned my Helix for several months now, and to be honest I'm a little leary of upgrading at this point until I can get some input from some of the Line 6 folks regarding the issues people have been having with the upgrade.  I'd like to know they've sorted things out or can point to some common misunderstandings about the installation that have been behind some of these failures.

Of course I now depend on my Helix weekly for playing gigs, and I'm not sure I want to take the chance of losing it if something goes wrong.

I sure wish DigitalIgloo or one of the other folks that frequent the board could give us some reassurance so I could feel more confident in doing this upgrade.

.... .... or can point to some common misunderstandings about the installation that have been behind some of these failures.

The most common general issue is simply not following the instructions, especially the need to restore the factory settings and presets. You cannot retain your presets during this update. You MUST save them in advance and reload them after the upgrade is complete. And you have to save them with the old app/editor and reload them with the new one.

The procedure is actually pretty simple:

- backup your custom setlists using the old app

- download and install the new app/editor, including the latest version of Line 6 Updater and the driver

- run Line 6 Updater to install the new firmware. Wait for the automatic restart and preset rebuilding to complete.

- restart while holding down knobs 9&10 (5&6 on the Rack). THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL.

- reload your saved setlists with the new app/editor.

The other issues I have seen are, I believe, mostly unique to certain individuals and/or their computer environments.

EDIT: Having said that, it's still never a good idea to update any device firmware immediately prior to a gig.

The most common general issue is simply not following the instructions, especially the need to restore the factory settings and presets. You cannot retain your presets during this update. You MUST save them in advance and reload them after the upgrade is complete. And you have to save them with the old app/editor and reload them with the new one.

The other issues I have seen are, I believe, mostly unique to certain individuals and/or their computer environments.

I'm assuming the computer environments question relates to the stability of the USB connection disrupting things?  Is there any validity to removing all previous Line 6 tools before the upgrade as some have indicated?  If I have to choose between doing the upgrade with Windows 7 or Windows 8, which seems to be having less problems?

Yes, stability of the USB connection. I don't think it matters whether or not you remove existing Line 6 stuff. I'm not aware of any difference between Windows versions in this respect. It's more things like USB conflicts and incompatible chipsets, and those are entirely unpredictable and unique to the given system.

I'm one of the people who had problems with this update, and a big one, so what can I tell you?
I'd tell you to update it inmediately, before you even create your first patch, because, as someone told above, we, who had problems, are just a few cases, but... what if it happens to you too? Wouldn't you feel angry and frustrated? Wouldn't you think about returning it to the store? 
So, my recommendation is for you to use whatever firmware version comes with it, and, when you get to love it (and you most probably will) you will have the motivation to update it, and keep it, no matter what.

I'm that happy with my Helix.

Upgrade it immediately. No point in creating patches or learning things when you'd just have to relearn slightly different things with 2.0.

And if it bricks, take it back to the store. Better to get it over with early if something were wrong with yours. But it won't be. Upgraded mine yesterday. Flawless. Took 10 minutes at most.

I guess I'll jump on. I watched the Glenn DeLaunne video and read and reread the instructions. Then I printed the instructions and read them again. I backed up all of my presets, did the update and had no problems. Snapshots is where it's at, don't wait or waste time building patches without them.

There is one thing that Line 6 should fix, if they haven't already. As I was doing the update, one of the instructions that came up on the screen, said to rebuild my factory patches by rebooting Helix and holding switches 7 & 8 as it restarted. Everyone else had said hold switches 9 & 10, which is what I did and it worked fine. They should correct that screen shot so it doesn't confuse people.

I guess I'll jump on. I watched the Glenn DeLaunne video and read and reread the instructions. Then I printed the instructions and read them again. I backed up all of my presets, did the update and had no problems. Snapshots is where it's at, don't wait or waste time building patches without them.

There is one thing that Line 6 should fix, if they haven't already. As I was doing the update, one of the instructions that came up on the screen, said to rebuild my factory patches by rebooting Helix and holding switches 7 & 8 as it restarted. Everyone else had said hold switches 9 & 10, which is what I did and it worked fine. They should correct that screen shot so it doesn't confuse people.

I saw that too and it really confused me (old guy).  

So I re-read all the instructions and went with the majority vote: 9 & 10.

The update makes the Helix a whole new machine.  Magical!

Got my Helix on Saturday, first thing i did was update to 2.0 went smoothly with no incidents. Although I followed the on screen instructions and rebooted holding 7 & 8. Later rebooted again holding 9 & 10, all seems to be working normally.