Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd Desktop / 500 / 500x

pwrmac7600

I am currently using a X3 desktop unit.

I am considering upgrading but I am curious about a few things. 1st and foremost, what is the difference between the HD 500 and the 500X? is the modeling technology any different between the 2 units? I noticed the X has more amps listed.

I would really like to go with the HD desktop version but I noticed it seems to be lacking in the Amp models. Do we know if there are plans to upgrade the quantity of models in the desktop to that of the 500X?

I am sorely disappointed to see that the HD desktop doesn't contain the Bogner ecstasy or the SLO100 as these are currently my most used models.

Any of you who have the HD units already, how realistic is the feel of the models? The biggest thing i feel is missing from the X3 is the, for lack of a better term, punch, and almost bouncy sound of a glass tube vibrating with in a real tube amp. I know that probably doesn't make any sense, but I know what i mean lol.

Thanks that is what i wanted to know. I have no need for a pedal board version since I would not be using it for live gigs. i only need it for home studio use, and the hd pro is more than I want to spend, so the HD desktop really fits what I need, I just needed to make sure it had the same models as the higher dollar models. now if they would just add the Ecstacy I would be sold.

i use the external pedalboard on the desktop/pro because you can't access the looper of change tones on the fly without it.

the desktop that i have also doesn't get much use because i like the L6Link and Variax input on the others.

(not to mention midi, and fx loop)

I'm certain that the pod HD's will get more amps at some point, but it has been a while since any where added.

If you are really going to wait for a specific model, then you will probably never buy one...

plenty of popular amp models that have been requested since day 1, 2010 (JC120 for instance) that have not been released.

Thanks that is what i wanted to know. I have no need for a pedal board version since I would not be using it for live gigs. i only need it for home studio use, and the hd pro is more than I want to spend, so the HD desktop really fits what I need, I just needed to make sure it had the same models as the higher dollar models. now if they would just add the Ecstacy I would be sold.

If you're never going to connect to a guitar amp and just use it for recording, then the PODHD Desktop is fine.  They may not have all the amp models of the X3 but you will find the HD amp models to be a very nice improvement.  The routing of effects with amp models is extermely nice. 

If you're never going to connect to a guitar amp and just use it for recording, then the PODHD Desktop is fine.  They may not have all the amp models of the X3 but you will find the HD amp models to be a very nice improvement.  The routing of effects with amp models is extermely nice. 

I totally disagree with you. I use an HD Desktop connected to guitar amps...basically it's my preamp and FX...Works great....I am guessing that you don't have one so I understand your ignorance in regards to the desktop...You can actually 4CM the desktop into any amplifier with an FX loop by serializing the chains... ;) ...If the HD desktop had midi or a system link it would be much better...my only complaint really...

How about explaining how, instead of just calling me ignorant.  And btw, I own the Desktop and use it live with a pair of Marshalls with some nice stereo effects.  After buying the Desktop, I wish I had bought the HD500 so I could try the 4CM method.

Thanks Z!...I am seriously considering modifying my bean to have a concentric master pot...It would 4CM perfect if I could separate the analog master output levels on the unit...Really tweaky on its own...A little Boss LS-2 does the trick. I basically need to pin the Left Master at a fixed level since it drives the amp input and only use the Right Master for Volume...Come to think of it...maybe I should file a feature request...It would make 4CM a breeze... 

How about explaining how, instead of just calling me ignorant.  And btw, I own the Desktop and use it live with a pair of Marshalls with some nice stereo effects.  After buying the Desktop, I wish I had bought the HD500 so I could try the 4CM method.

I think Z did that for me....I put a patch on that thread also. Ignorance of 4CM a desktop is not a bad thing...You just did not know....nothing more, nothing less...I am not calling you names...just the reality of the situation....It's a tweaky setup and not for everyone...if you try it and need any help with it, post a thread and I would be glad to share what I have learned using it with you or anyone else that is interested...

One reason I prefer the Desktop over the 500 is that I do not like having my tone on the floor where beer gets spilled...I would rather the drunk guy fall on my shortboard (yes, that has happened to me >300 lbs and it still works after nearly 8 years of use)...I would go with a Pro and a shortboard before I would ever go with a 500...that's just my own opinion...