Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench with Variax 600 and POD HD500x on Windows 10, 32Bit

Hi, I am really ashamed to ask but I´m not able to get Workbench working with my Variax 600 and POD HD500x on Windows 10, 32Bit.

There might be some noob questions but I got mine used and informations online and in the forum are really overwhelming.

So let´s start from the beginning to get on the way:

I have downloaded Workbench 1.75 which seems to be the last possible version for users of the Variax 300/600.

The Monkey tells me to update to 2.12 but of course this would be Workbench HD wich will not work for me. 

As I have read that Workbench was (or is http://www.thomann.de/de/line6_workbench.htm )a product you have to pay for, I am unsure if I will be able to use Workbench without purchasing a licence?

On the other hand I am not sure if Workbench (no-HD) will run for me at all, because my 600 is not recognized, if I try to run Workbench on my PC. It tells me to connect to the monkey where I get 2 device-options…

1. POD HD500x via USB
  2. Variax 300/600 via POD HD

If I choose option 1 there is no Variax in the list, just the latest monkey and the not installed Workbench HD

If I chosse option 2 there is neither Workbench nor Variax in the list, just the latest monkey

What can I do to fix those issues?

You will need to use the Workbench USB interface device (the dongle) to use the original Workbench product. It was not included with the purchase of pre-JTV Variax guitars. And the original Workbench product was not updated to recognize the POD HD500X as an interface device.

The dongle is actually what you are purchasing when you purchase the original Workbench. The software itself can be downloaded by anyone but you need the dongle to make the software recognize the guitar. If you can find a used one that should work.

EDIT: Or you could swap your HD500X for an HD500. That was the last of the POD HD models that is recognized by the original Workbench as an interface device. The X series of POD HD500/Pro are not recognized.

• Upvote 1

EDIT: Or you could swap your HD500X for an HD500. That was the last of the POD HD models that is recognized by the original Workbench as an interface device. The X series of POD HD500/Pro are not recognized.

Oh, that's bad. Are there any reasons for not-supporting the POD HD500x  <_<

Oh, that's bad. Are there any reasons for not-supporting the POD HD500x <_<

I don't think there are specific reasons. It's just another example of a reasonable software- industry-wide practice. At some point you stop supporting older software on new hardware platforms, and vice-versa. Try finding a version of Microsoft Office 95 that runs on a new computer using Windows 10.

Line 6 developed a whole new Workbench product that took advantage of new technologies, both software and hardware. It replaced an approximately decade-old product. For how long should the old product continue to be supported on new hardware? They decided that point was reached with the Xseries of the POD HD.

I would not expect Helix to be compatible with the original Workbench product either. It's not yet supporting Workbecnh HD but that will come.

I don't think there are specific reasons. It's just another example of a reasonable software- industry-wide practice. At some point you stop supporting older software on new hardware platforms, and vice-versa. Try finding a version of Microsoft Office 95 that runs on a new computer using Windows 10.

Line 6 developed a whole new Workbench product that took advantage of new technologies, both software and hardware. It replaced an approximately decade-old product. For how long should the old product continue to be supported on new hardware? They decided that point was reached with the Xseries of the POD HD.

I would not expect Helix to be compatible with the original Workbench product either. It's not yet supporting Workbecnh HD but that will come.

It was a VERY BAD decision - for whatever arbitrary reason the line in the sand was decided to exclude the HD500X from the (still relevant) legacy variax models and their interactivity with Workbench. The analogy of wanting to run Office 95 on a Win10 computer doesn't hold water here in my opinion. I see your point, but it's stretching reality a bit...

It makes sense that the Helix doesn't allow legacy variax models to interact with Workbench, being that the new HD modelling both in JTV and Standard variaxes are more in line with the modelling in Helix.

I'm just glad I still have my 2 HD500s, and I didn't jump to 500Xs when they came out.

• Upvote 1

What does NOT make sense is that Helix doesn't support the current models with WB either!

I am fairly sure that this is coming. It's a priority and rollout thing. Line 6 has so far focused their Helix update efforts on priorities that affect all users - bug fixes, the editor and snapshots. Workbench HD integration affects only Helix users who also use a Variax. It will come later as it did with the POD HD series.

I know that's not what Variax owners want to hear, but we need to be patient on this.