Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv59 To Hd500 Vdi Getting A Pop When I Change Patchs That Also Change Variax Model

Help! I just got a jtv59 from sweetwaters scratch and dent and I have it connected  to the hd500 vvia VDI and I am getting a POP when i change patchs that also change Variax model. So if i change from "treadplate which also changes to lester 5 and then change to "Sparkle" clean preset that has delay and verb and a differnt amp model and uses a Spank variax model i get that "Shot gun POP! " noise if i am ringing out a note or chord while i switch patchs! I noticed if i plug straight in 1/4 and it does not change the variax model from the pod i donot get the POP switching presets! please help its useless this way.

am i exptected to not switch variax models on the fly? do you have to completly stop playing and switch model via pod to avaoid the POP?

Thank you in advance! - Jeff

Do you hear the noise while your connected to the pod or workbench?

Are you connected to a computer and running Workbench 2?

The manual states that there will be noise when changing settings while connected to the Workbench HD.

I hear noise when I change settings on my 59.

I am connect from JTV59 - to - PodHD via VDI +computer HD edit to HD25 and when I change patches there is a pop...

Changing patches with HD Edit running means all bets are off. There can be all sorts of weirdness when do that. But even without that, if you are changing patches with the DT25 connected and you're going from one topology to another, there can also be some popping. The manual for the DT25 actually mentions this. For quick patch changes with the DT25, it's best to not go from from radically different topologies between presets.

• 2 weeks later...

I have rolled the firmware back to version 1.9 on the JTV59 and the click between patches that use different guitars goes away. I guess it's a bug in v2.0. I hope they fix in a future version.

They won't fix it unless they know about it. If you want it to be looked at, you should let them know through a support ticket, including that the issue didn't happen with 1.9

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Line 6 have acknowledged receipt of the audio file demonstrating the issue and have forwarded it to engineering for review.  The representative looking after my ticket has still been unable to reproduce the problem with a JTV at Line 6.  He has suggested that I double check that it is not a gain issue swapping from a low volume patch to a high volume and vice versa and to ensure all my patches are levelled volume wise and he has also suggested that perhaps it could be a latency issue and to try a different Cat5e cable for the VDI connection.  My patches are fairly even regarding volume and I have tried two different VDI cables and the Cat5e cables that come with the JTV and still get the problem, however, those suggestions may help someone else.

I will let you know when I get a further update with news from engineering.    

• Upvote 1

Line 6 support have come back to say that they don't think this is a bug or an issue and that it is something that will happen with any stomp box if you attack a note as you press the footswitch to engage the effect or change the patch.

I know that this problem started happening when I moved to fw 2.0, I know I get the problem even when I mute the strings between patch changes, I know the problem goes away or diminishes significantly when you go back to fw 1.9, I also know that I am not the only one that has had this problem and surely everyone who has reported it can't have just happened to have changed their playing style and forced the issue. Furthermore, if it was as simple as attacking the note and pressing the footswitch then surely anyone can recreate it - yet my Line 6 support rep said he cannot recreate it.

And how do they explain that the problem only happens when HD500 patch forces a model change on the JTV and goes away if you set HD500 patches to DONT FORCE or if you use a standard guitar? Surely if it was playing style it would occur all the time.

I have pointed all these issues out and have asked that they look at it again - and I have asked what the engineers say about the problem - but if anyone else would like to chime in and raise a support ticket to add substance to the case for fixing this bug then I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...