Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69 top quality but for ….

the Tremolo

Mine is a Korean made unit. I bought it new in April this year. But when I finally registered it some 3 weeks later I realised it was a 2010 model. Must have been sitting at the dealer for 6 years!

Anyway no problem the guitar upgraded to the latest firmware no problem.

And I use it mainly via the magnetic pickups.

I find I enjoy playing it more than my 2015 Strat Elite and my 2014 Strat de Lux Plus. The quality of the build is great. The fretwork is great. The setup and intonation is great. The tuners top class. And the Black Tusk nut is better than both my top of the range Strat synthetic bone nuts. 

I also love the neck being that slight bit more narrow than a Strat. Plays very easy to to me. The modeling is a bonus but not important to me. I play magnetic pickups and do modeling via my Helix.

But the tremolo is real rubbish. Apparently it was upgraded in 2011. I play only Shadows music trying to emulate Hank Marvin (of course I will never succeed) and thus use the Tremolo almost always though with very light action. The tremolo arm fixing to the bridge is rubbish, Totally loose. Stupid design with a little screw supposed to hold it in position. But there is always loose play in the arm when applying the tremolo. Not good if you want to wiggle the arm to slightly vibe the sound. Pathetic actually.

I think I should get a free replacement upgrade from Line 6 since I was under the impression that I bought a  late model and if that was the case then it should have had the latest tremolo arm? Am I unreasonable?

You might get lucky as you're still under warranty...but you never know. In this case you might have a tough time proving that it's "defective", as opposed to "I just don't like it and I want the newer version". That might be a tough sell to the Warranty Gods...who's First Commandment is always "Thou shalt blame user error". ;)