Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Friedman 2x12 cab IRs - multiple mics/positions

jroseberry

Hi Folks,

Loving the Helix.

Created some cab IRs from a Friedman 2x12 (vintage 30s).

Wanted to share them with the community.

http://www.studiocat.com/temp/Friedman_2x12_cab.zip

There three basic mic positions for most of the IRs.

1 = center

2 = edge of cap

3 = cone

1o = center off-axis

2o = edge of cap off-axis

3o = cone off-axis

Multiple mics were used (SM57, SM7b, MD421, RE20, RE320, C414).

The center positions are bright.

If that's not to your liking, make sure to try the other positions.

Enjoy!

Jim Roseberry

www.studiocat.com

jim@studiocat.com

http://www.studiocat.com/temp/Friedman_2x12_cab.zip

• Upvote 6

awesome! Definitely going to try them.  Love the 3Sigma Friedmans too.   Thanks!

EDIT - just auditioned them and they sound fantastic.  Great job!

PS - What did you do with the 414mp/414np files?  Much louder than the others.

awesome! Definitely going to try them.  Love the 3Sigma Friedmans too.   Thanks!

EDIT - just auditioned them and they sound fantastic.  Great job!

PS - What did you do with the 414mp/414np files?  Much louder than the others.

Yeah, I bought the 3Sigma Friedman IRs as well...

That got me interested in creating some of my own IRs... where I have complete control over the cab/mics

With the 414mp and 414np IRs, I was experimenting with different types of deconvolution.

If this were a commercial pack, I wouldn't have included them.   ;)

May release some commercial (low cost) IRs of various cabs...

That got me interested in creating some of my own IRs... where I have complete control over the cab/mics

With the 414mp and 414np IRs, I was experimenting with different types of deconvolution.

If this were a commercial pack, I wouldn't have included them. ;)

I got the 3sigma Recto 212 IR's and didn't care for those. They were a good general representation of a Recto 212, but They didn't really sound like the way I liked to mic and record my cab.

The forum members are very kind and supportive here. I had some people wanting to chip in a few $ for the hack ones I made. After a few requests even though I was telling people not to worry about it, I just threw a paypal payme tip jar out there with the IR'S.

I think it is nice to be able to try all IR'S and just pay for the ones you use. We really have an honest and generous bunch here.

• Upvote 1

If this were a commercial pack, I wouldn't have included them.   ;)

Man, those sound great! Made a couple of presets using just the Sm57 with the 2204 Mod, Shiva, Plexi, Mark Clean and Lead and they all sound just great! Thank you very much! Will be watching for the commercial pack! :)

• Upvote 1

Great job on the IR's!  Played them for a couple of hours today.  Going to take a couple I like in parallel in Helix into Redwirez MixIR2 and mix them down into a single IR and get them into a couple of presets.

I don't know why, but I never IR's my Recto 212 with a neutral SS power amp.  I need to go do that...you gave me a nice reference on what good neutral 212 IR should sound like.  I did not like 3sigma Recto 212 IR's.

hey, just downloaded them, digging the 3rd position ones, nice and full and still crisp enough (on a strat).. especially the 414_3 file

Thanks. i might skip buying the commercial ones for a while, these give me a nice new cab sound

Glad you're liking the cab IRs.

The C414-XLS is a great mic.

Great job on the IR's!  Played them for a couple of hours today.  Going to take a couple I like in parallel in Helix into Redwirez MixIR2 and mix them down into a single IR and get them into a couple of presets.

I don't know why, but I never IR's my Recto 212 with a neutral SS power amp.  I need to go do that...you gave me a nice reference on what good neutral 212 IR should sound like.  I did not like 3sigma Recto 212 IR's.

Thanks!

I've got Cab Lab here... so I'll try the same.

Also want to try some dual cabs... panned left/right.

I had a vertical 2x12 recto cab.

Can't say that I loved the sound.

Thanks!

I've got Cab Lab here... so I'll try the same.

Also want to try some dual cabs... panned left/right.

I had a vertical 2x12 recto cab.

Can't say that I loved the sound.

Yeah.  I've played that Recto 212 for 10+ years with different heads.  That particular sound and feel is ingrained in my subconscious. I choked when I first got Helix in January and couldn't replicate the same sound and feel.  I then went on a mission to IR the heck out of that Recto and an SM57 as it was all I had, along with a few tube amps.  I'm sure people here got tired of my posts..."Ugh...Recto Roscoe5 again?!?!"  ;)  

I jumped on the 3sigma Recto 212 IR's, but didn't like those as much as the ones I made.  I had used some very specific mic positions and angles, as well as my tube power sections from different amps.

Over the last 6 months with Helix and other IR's, I think my ear has re-calibrated and my mind more open. It took a lot of mental deprogramming.

Anyway, if a real Friedman 2x12 sounds like your IR's, I probably should have switched from a Mesa Recto 2x12 to a Friedman 2x12 long ago.  Ah well, too late now that Helix is center of my guitar universe.  I'm happy with the virtual one you created.

I don't know if it's the characteristic of the Friedman 2x12, your IR process, or both. But these IR's really seem to let the character of any Helix amp model come through in a very familiar way for me coming from a Recto 212 rig.

I am using Friedman 2x12 - RE20_2 and Friedman 2x12 - SM57_2o in parallel 50/50 mix and it sounds perfect to me in headphones and my ghetto Crate Powerblock / Crate PE12H PA speaker pair FRFR rig (upgrade coming soon I'm sure). It's not too big or too small sounding, and no offensive boxy, boomy, or harsh frequencies to adjust out. I could play everything all night on that IR mix, except acoustic guitar, synth, or lo-fi guitar patches. I'll take them into RW mixIR and do both mono mix and panned L/R (Edit: forgot Helix editor only takes the left side on import You gotta keep em separated).

I'll try to get some clips up later for you.

Maybe it's just the stage in my development or the group I play with with a mix of originals and covers, but I like keeping a fairly consistent basic guitar voice song to song and patch to patch rather trying to match the original guitar sounds exactly for every single cover I play. The band really keeps their own style with the covers too. I often don't personally like the guitar tone of the original. Changing Helix amps gives me plenty of variety and gets me in the same genre without changing my basic feel, which to me in Helix is the cab /IR.

FWIW, I used to just run dual heads with my Mesa Mark V and Stiletto with a Tonebone VT head switcher into my Recto 212 and got a similar result.  So the workflow of maintaining a global IR (pair) for all amps is familiar to me.  I was just parking on a couple of my old Line 6 Spider Valve + Recto 212 IR's, but these have just replaced those.  

I'll take them into RW mixIR and do both mono mix and panned L/R (Edit: forgot Helix editor only takes the left side on import You gotta keep em separated).

the 2.0 update now lets you choose in the Globals how to treat a stereo IR.  From the manual page 28:

- Go to the Helix app's Preferences to set the preferred behavior for importing Stereo WAV IRs - there you can choose to import the left or right channel data of the file, or a mix of both channels for the Helix (mono) IR.

PS - I LOVE these IR's, fantastic job...

the 2.0 update now lets you choose in the Globals how to treat a stereo IR.  From the manual page 28:

- Go to the Helix app's Preferences to set the preferred behavior for importing Stereo WAV IRs - there you can choose to import the left or right channel data of the file, or a mix of both channels for the Helix (mono) IR.

PS - I LOVE these IR's, fantastic job...

Ha, missed that little gem...thanks!

I don't know if it's the characteristic of the Friedman 2x12, your IR process, or both. But these IR's really seem to let the character of any Helix amp model come through in a very familiar way for me coming from a Recto 212 rig.

I am using Friedman 2x12 - RE20_2 and Friedman 2x12 - SM57_2o in parallel 50/50 mix and it sounds perfect to me in headphones and my ghetto Crate Powerblock / Crate PE12H PA speaker pair FRFR rig (upgrade coming soon I'm sure). It's not too big or too small sounding, and no offensive boxy, boomy, or harsh frequencies to adjust out. I could play everything all night on that IR mix, except acoustic guitar, synth, or lo-fi guitar patches. I'll take them into RW mixIR and do both mono mix and panned L/R (Edit: forgot Helix editor only takes the left side on import You gotta keep em separated).

I'll try to get some clips up later for you.

Maybe it's just the stage in my development or the group I play with with a mix of originals and covers, but I like keeping a fairly consistent basic guitar voice song to song and patch to patch rather trying to match the original guitar sounds exactly for every single cover I play. The band really keeps their own style with the covers too. I often don't personally like the guitar tone of the original. Changing Helix amps gives me plenty of variety and gets me in the same genre without changing my basic feel, which to me in Helix is the cab /IR.

FWIW, I used to just run dual heads with my Mesa Mark V and Stiletto with a Tonebone VT head switcher into my Recto 212 and got a similar result.  So the workflow of maintaining a global IR (pair) for all amps is familiar to me.  I was just parking on a couple of my old Line 6 Spider Valve + Recto 212 IR's, but these have just replaced those.  

The Friedman 2x12 cab (vintage 30s) sounds great with many different tube amps.

I wanted the IR capture process to have as little affect as possible... 

With a good sounding cab, it's just a matter of having decent mics and positioning them well.  (Same as straight up recording)

I wanted more control over my cab sound.

Numerous mics (each having a different character) positioned to capture bright thru darker tones.

Using the IRs, it's just one step closer to the sound in my head.

I like a consistent amp sound for the bulk of a gig.

That helps give the band an identifiable sound.

Playing with dynamics/nuance (rolling guitar volume , boosts for solos, different drives, etc) things sound consistent... but not static.

Glad the IRs are working well for you.

• Upvote 1

Tried them yesterday and they sound Great! I mixed 2 single cabs one of your IR s and one with either 3 Sigma , Ownhammer or the Factory Helix ir s  and the sound seems to Pop almost like a real amp!!

THANKS! 

If you get a free moment, drop us a line and let us hear the result.

Love hearing what other folks do with the sounds/cabs...

Sorry, been a bum. Still no clIps. But I used them at a gig tonight in my Helix FOH path. Mesa 212 no IR'S with a solid state power amp on stage. Great 212 V30 sound, better than my Mesa. Luckily they are close enough to my Mesa that I don't have to go out and buy a Friedman 212 ;)

Thanks for posting these free IRs.

I have many from 3 other companies, but yours sounded the best in this situation. More natural.

So anyway, I'm using a real valve amp, my Marshall JMP 1W head, into the fx return of the Helix. Then using your cab, two in fact to allow me to record the amp quietly.

Turned out great I think, and will be good in a mix.

Al

https://soundcloud.com/ju287v3/jmp1-treb-n-basseq-mp3

Thanks for posting these free IRs.

I have many from 3 other companies, but yours sounded the best in this situation. More natural.

So anyway, I'm using a real valve amp, my Marshall JMP 1W head, into the fx return of the Helix. Then using your cab, two in fact to allow me to record the amp quietly.

Turned out great I think, and will be good in a mix.

Al

https://soundcloud.com/ju287v3/jmp1-treb-n-basseq-mp3

Very Cool Al!

Thanks for posting.