Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who sold all their pedals and went HD500X?

jpjr50

Well I did, just sold all my pedals.  I'm really lazy when it comes to physical amp heads, cabs and pedals.  It seems I don't want to dial them in.

I've been using Guitar Rig 5 or TH3, they have hundreds of presets so I use them or alter the tone in a few clicks.

I have a home studio, I don't gig, I play 95% of the time in my studio.  I like to record tracks and make YouTube videos, etc.  I have an audio interface / FocusRite Scarlett 18i8, PreSonus 5.25 Monitor / Speakers (35W), Audio Technica Mic's, my amp head is just an Orange Micro Terror (with 12au7 tube) and Panama 1x10 Cabinet.  Eventually I'll upgrade the head to a Panama Conqueror or Loco but for now the Orange is plenty loud for my room.  Again, I rid of my pedals because when I want to do multiple tracks with different tones I have redial knobs.  I like presets.

I want to give this a go but everyone is telling me the learning curve is quite steep.  They also said the same thing about my DAW (Reaper) but I figured it out just fine.

What do you guys think?  Was is worth the change to the 500X?

I had originally done this but years back with a the Pod XT line. But I had sold all my gear off because of being low on $$$ at the time and needing a decent auto. So when I recovered and got back to playing guitar again, the bang for the buck of the POD systems was too much not to go for. 

I did - sort of

My HD500 replaced everything that went between the guitar and the sound man. I use no amp. No other devices. Nothing. Just a guitar and a Pod.

Of course, they weren't pedals, they were rack devices.

And everything hasn't been sold, it just doesn't get used. 

My chain is Guitar > HD500x > PA. It's been this way since i got my PHDX over a year ago. It's been a learning process for sure, but nothing steep. Just read up and put in the time.

I used to use a Carvin MTS3200, two cabs and a board with a bunch of pedals. Now I can carry my entire rig in one go up a flight of stairs. I didn't sell anything though. I just don't use them much.

tone wise I miss my tube amp, but practicality trumps all... looking to upgrade to a helix or AX8 in the future.

I'm in your boat, except I don't really miss my amp (that I still own). I like tones the ax8 has but the thought of being able to have 30 effects in one chain is tempting

Thanks for the replies.  I'll never go back to pedals, just didn't use them.  I got one more pedal to sell, TC Electronic Gravy (Limited Production) Tri-Chorus & Vibrato with Tone Print (uses Corona Chorus app).  Once this is gone should give me the money for a 500X.

I want the Helix but it's out of my budget.  Maybe I can one later.

I'm hoping I can learn the 500X and just use that.

My son only uses the amp with a little dirt (which the amp can do by itself).

Now I just got to find I can purchase for a deal.

Kept most of the pedals and rack stuff. Some pedals are still stuck on the pedal boards for "just in case". They still sound great and some amps only need a couple up front where the HD wouldn't work.

Now I just got to find I can purchase for a deal.

1. If you have kids, then selling everything to buy something new isn't the best idea. 

2. If you have to wait for a deal to buy something, you shouldn't be buying it at all. 

3. There are always deals floating around. You can buy 'em new for $350. How much more of a deal do you need. 

I don't have pedals anymore, just the PODHD and amp.  But you're also asking people on the Line6 PODHD forum.  There could be a slight bias here - just maybe.

But I laugh at people using pedals.  The hassle, expense, twisting knobs, the friggin' hum, wires...no thank you.  Not that it sounds bad, although anyone can make good equipment sound bad.

$350 is fine for a used one, so that's what I'm looking for.  Made some offers on eBay so lets see what happens.

Gear Head, totally agree, I use Guitar Rig 5 presets because I don't have time to dial pedal knobs.  I want to set it and forget it so if I can load up 100 tones in the 500x I'm covered forever.

Love it my man! Firing up 100 tones that is some optimism - but you will be dialing knobs, many knobs and knobs you won't quite be sure of. :)

With loop selectors and MFX pedals (ie: Zoom CDR/MS50s L6 M5 and up for ex) pedals can do more than you think. You may even find some in the FX loop of an HD. A lot also boils down to amplification/personal pref.

Its all good - love the HDs.

B

• Upvote 1

Love it my man! Firing up 100 tones that is some optimism - but you will be dialing knobs, many knobs and knobs you won't quite be sure of. :)

With loop selectors and MFX pedals (ie: Zoom CDR/MS50s L6 M5 and up for ex) pedals can do more than you think. You may even find some in the FX loop of an HD. A lot also boils down to amplification/personal pref.

Its all good - love the HDs.

B

I'm being optimistic but I like dialing knobs when I can load as many presets as possible.  I dig the hooking it up to my computer and all that.  Maybe I'll go back to independent pedals some day but for now I need to get my hands on one of these.

My 500x has been a real game changer for sure. Of course I originally wanted one of the top-shelf waiting list-ensuing modelers but with all the money I don't have and won't have for one, I figured I wouldnt get to toy with a modeler after a few years of saving. but when I read up on the HD series, it seemed like a good idea and it was.

Of course it doesn't sound pristine without some tweaking, sweating, and fussing every once in a while, but it gets the job done in my band and the few bands I have been in since I got mine. Even if I move on to a HX or something else, the 500x will always be my Intro To Modeling 101.

If anything, now I can walk into a Guitar Center and make any little Spider combo sound awesome :D

• Upvote 1

<snip>

If anything, now I can walk into a Guitar Center and make any little Spider combo sound awesome :D

Hey Alex,

I hear ya - I scored a Flextone III for ~$80, just for S&Gs, and yep those L6 amps with a few tasty licks thrown at them do crank out some flavor.

-B

• Upvote 1

Bought my HD 500 Sept 2012 and it had already been out 18 months.

I am happy with it and love it still. I been meaning to restudy the manuals and

get some more out of it. All my Amps and cabs are mostly unused now!

It is incredibly deep. 30 plus pre/amps,  The Amps are very good. The 100 FX are  mostly okay. 

Some detract from the quality of many of the amp models imo while some FX sound great really cranked up

but mostly need to be fairly low in the mix.

The price used is much the same as before the Helix. 

There probably are bargains to be had still as Helix owners cash theirs in.

• Upvote 1

I made about 6 offers on used units this weekend and still didn't score one.  It's the whole I want the original box too.  Most people throw it away but for me if I need to sell it one day I'd have to buy a box, etc.  The original box is a deal breaker for me (I'm looking down the road).  I'm sure a Helix is my future.

Just a matter of time and when it happens, it happens.  I never rush into a decision, usually those don't go right.

I made about 6 offers on used units this weekend and still didn't score one. It's the whole I want the original box too. Most people throw it away but for me if I need to sell it one day I'd have to buy a box, etc. The original box is a deal breaker for me (I'm looking down the road).

UPS will pack the thing for you for a few bucks...assuming that you're gonna charge the buyer for shipping anyway, you lose nothing. So there's really no need to scour the ends of the earth for a used one with the original packaging. It's a whole lot of burned calories for no discernable payback.

• Upvote 1

I've contacted Line 6 and they put up an offer for me on Reverb for $374.99 free shipping on a B-stock unit.  They claim it may have some blemishes but 100% fully functional (with original box, ha.).

Anyone have a B-stock unit?  Never purchased a B stock unit on anything.  I'm guessing if it comes from the factory it can't be bad.

I've contacted Line 6 and they put up an offer for me on Reverb for $374.99 free shipping on a B-stock unit. They claim it may have some blemishes but 100% fully functional (with original box, ha.).

Anyone have a B-stock unit? Never purchased a B stock unit on anything. I'm guessing if it comes from the factory it can't be bad.

You see that more often with instruments than electronics...it usually means there's a cosmetic issue, scratch/dent/etc. If that's all it is, then it's probably fine. Hell, you're gonna put it on the floor and step on it anyway...it's gonna get "blemished" sooner or later. ;)

I only asked since it was returned to Line 6 for some sort of issue with it.  Not worried too much about the blemishes, as you said it's a floor model.

I would hate to buy this and it go back for the same issue it had before I took ownership.

I'm sure it was fixed but then again something broke at some point.  Who knows could have been damaged by the buyer.

I will still consider this one.

I would hate to buy this and it go back for the same issue it had before I took ownership.

I'm sure it was fixed but then again something broke at some point. Who knows could have been damaged by the buyer.

"B-stock", in my experience generally means "new, but with some issue that we've since addressed". If it was used and returned for some malfunction and then repaired, I would think they'd have to sell it as "refurbished". Otherwise it's deceptive advertising, which invites problems...but of course, you never know. In this case, I doubt the one in question was owned by anyone else.

I still have my stomp boxes (all Bosses by the way, except for one Ibanez) - I just couldn't part with them. Each pedal has their individual war wounds (scratches, dents, peeled paint, etc.) and they a story behind each one! Plus, I like to stroll down memory and lane, connected a few of them to my JC120 and enjoy the feel of my guitar playing through an actual amp - and not through a house system.

• Upvote 1

I made the transition about a billion years ago switching from my JC120 rig to the Axsys 212, then the Ax2 conversion, then the Vetta II... and now the HD500x. I still have some left - some was stolen, but that's a different story. I'm getting the best tones to date, and the transportation factor can't be touched! I can walk in to a gig with my HD500X case over my shoulder, my main guitar in one arm and my Alto TS110 in the other.

• Upvote 3

Still have all my pedals and amps. They all are in storage gathering dust while I use my HD500! Straight in the PA, a little monitor mixed to taste and I'm good. BTW, I've got a collection of amps, guitars, pedals, and rack units dating back to 1965!!! The HD has become my Swiss Army knife for everything. I started out with a POD Version 2.0 and never looked back.

I sold all of the pedals contained in an HD500 and replaced them with Helix. Does that count? Although I still do have an HD500X, which collects dust currently.

Never had any actual pedals - that you step on - before any of this modeling stuff. Used to have a Rockman Sustainor and Stereo/Chorus Delay, Peavey Addverb, and Digitech IPS33 Smart Shift.

Well, I've been using modelling technology of one sort or another for many years.

Back in the 80's/90's I had the big ADA stocked 20 space rack that I invested stupid amounts of money into, as well as a couple of custom 4x12 cabs and a custom horizontal 2x12 cab when I was endorsed by ADA.  After they went under, I went the Digitech route with a couple of Valve FX's, then the Johnson Millenium J250 Head.

About a decade ago, I got the POD XT Live and then sold off my cabs & Johnson head & went totally direct with "in ears".  Haven't looked back since, lower volume in my ears, better fidelity, better monitor mix with stereo separation, my ears are thankful, so is my back and now that I'm on the HD500X, I actually have more processing power than I did in that huge rack.  Especially with the pitch shifting functions.  The HD500x tracks better than my old favored Digitech IPS-33B did, and I loved that thing!

My entire load out consists of about 3 or 4 guitar cases, depending on the gig, the pedal board, and the 6 gtr case/stand with the occasional small gig bag of cables.
All of which can stack up in the back seat of my PT Cruiser, or in the cargo area of my Buick Rendezvous SUV. 

I wheel them all in on a cart, and I'm loaded in.

Back in the 80's/90's I had the big ADA stocked 20 space rack that I invested stupid amounts of money into, 

I ran a 12 space (no amps, just fx) rack as my primary setup.  

Hey, that damn thing doesn't even fit in my primary car.

But, that is why I always had multiple cars, and multiple setups. 

These kids today, they don't know what life is like. They think they can't afford a Model Pack --- try having a 'work car' in addition to your regular car, just so you always have enough room to load your gear (gear and babes, but dudes today would rather play pokemon than play babes too). 

• Upvote 1

Well I've had 5 hours with the 500x and so mad at myself for not buying this sooner. I'd probably have a Helix by now for sure.

I'm shocked on how good the tones are out of this box. Since I've had experience making patches on TH3 and Guitar Rig I've realet caught on quick.

Sure is nice to record with the 500x, recognized through my DAW (Reaper). No need to mic amps or cabs anymore, makes my life easier.

So since I'm on vacation I've spent lots of time the past few days with the 500x. My Set list has 44 tones currently from clean dry to drop By metal.

YouTube has lots of tones I've copied which has also taught me how to create my tones. I finally understand which amps are what (Fender is a Tweed, etc).

Again, I kick myself for not going this route. So easy to use with Reaper.