Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Holy Grail Sound-Finally

bubba871x

I had the Helix for about a week and tried running it into my PA direct, then into the front of a clean Marshall JVM head and finally into the direct amp in lines for the left and right channels on a Roland GS-212. The Roland is one of the few amps that can do stereo with direct inputs bypassing all tone circuits.  The sound was best with the Roland setup but just not the "blow me away" sound you can get running a Helix direct into a computer. But I gig and I needed a live application.  And I didnt want to depend on crappy FOH systems at some of the clubs we play.  I  like to play direct; guitar to amp to cab to ears! So I was ready to pull the trigger on a couple QSC speakers and was on the phone with Sweetwater and the guy said you need to try the Mission Engineering Gemini 2. True stereo with a typical woofer/tweeter configuration. 220 watts of Class D power. So I ordered one and it arrived today. Plugged into the Helix and it was amazing!  The sound is huge and rich and the stereo separation on the stereo patches is incredible. It fills the practice studio with 3D like sound.  I believe the key is the frequency response of the speakers which is far greater than typical 12" guitar speakers.  But the amazing thing is even the PA where I have 15" lows and horn tweeter did not sound even close to this unit.  I know lower cost PA systems are tweaked to have the sweet spot in a very narrow vocal frequency range. Maybe its the solid wood cabinet but whatever it is I am very happy. It brought my Helix to life! I

• Upvote 1

I had the Helix for about a week and tried running it into my PA direct, then into the front of a clean Marshall JVM head and finally into the direct amp in lines for the left and right channels on a Roland GS-212. The Roland is one of the few amps that can do stereo with direct inputs bypassing all tone circuits.  The sound was best with the Roland setup but just not the "blow me away" sound you can get running a Helix direct into a computer. But I gig and I needed a live application.  And I didnt want to depend on crappy FOH systems at some of the clubs we play.  I  like to play direct; guitar to amp to cab to ears! So I was ready to pull the trigger on a couple QSC speakers and was on the phone with Sweetwater and the guy said you need to try the Mission Engineering Gemini 2. True stereo with a typical woofer/tweeter configuration. 220 watts of Class D power. So I ordered one and it arrived today. Plugged into the Helix and it was amazing!  The sound is huge and rich and the stereo separation on the stereo patches is incredible. It fills the practice studio with 3D like sound.  I believe the key is the frequency response on the speakers which is far greater than typical 12" guitar speakers.  But the amazing thing is even the PA where I have 15" lows and horn tweeter did not sound even close to this unit.  Maybe its the solid wood cabinet but whatever it is I am very happy. It brought my Helix to life! I

Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds really interesting this Gemini 2!! 

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: After two months plus of using the Helix with my Gemini 2 at live gigs I am still very happy.  The sound continues to blow my mind, especially with effects like Double Delay and Stereo chorus.  I have people at EVERY gig come up and say how incredible the guitar sounds.  "Just like the record" is a comment I get often.  The one negative I found is the weight of the Gemini 2 unit. It is 62 lbs. But I bought a small furniture dolly (I didn't want to drill into the cab to attach wheels) and that makes it east to roll the unit around. By the way I have to give another shout out to Glenn DeLaune. I bought his Custom Artist 2 patches and the Boston patch is perfect. Finally after 30 years of playing guitar I have the actual Boston sound. When we perform More than a Feeling and Don't Look Back it gives me chills how accurate the sound is on that patch. 

• Upvote 2

B)

Me too.  Wife says its time to thin the heard. I have 16 guitars right now.

Next time she brings that up, tell her it's also time to ditch a few dozen pairs of shoes, and a handbag or three... ;)

You guys are rookies at this, clearly.  The proper response is, "Darling, love of my life, you need another pair of shoes and handbag to match.  Oh, BTW, I have my eye on another guitar.  This one is way different than the other 16 and is essential for rounding out my musical toolbox.  And the first song I write using it will be dedicated to my undying love for you." B)

... Speaking from many years of marriage wisdom.  :)

• Upvote 1

B)

You guys are rookies at this, clearly.  The proper response is, "Darling, love of my life, you need another pair of shoes and handbag to match.  Oh, BTW, I have my eye on another guitar.  This one is way different than the other 16 and is essential for rounding out my musical toolbox.  And the first song I write using it will be dedicated to my undying love for you." B)

... Speaking from many years of marriage wisdom.   :)

That is funny!  I am marking this thread "Solved"

UPDATE: After two months plus of using the Helix with my Gemini 2 at live gigs I am still very happy.  The sound continues to blow my mind, especially with effects like Double Delay and Stereo chorus.  I have people at EVERY gig come up and say how incredible the guitar sounds.  "Just like the record" is a comment I get often.  The one negative I found is the weight of the Gemini 2 unit. It is 62 lbs. But I bought a small furniture dolly (I didn't want to drill into the cab to attach wheels) and that makes it east to roll the unit around. By the way I have to give another shout out to Glenn DeLaune. I bought his Custom Artist 2 patches and the Boston patch is perfect. Finally after 30 years of playing guitar I have the actual Boston sound. When we perform More than a Feeling and Don't Look Back it gives me chills how accurate the sound is on that patch. 

I just picked up a pair of Yamaha DXR10's and I'm very happy with them but I'm still thinking of grabbing a Gemini 2.  The Empower feature seems like a great idea...does it work as advertised?

• Upvote 1

Damnit!

I can't spend any more money!

My wife is noticing!

I don't know how. I mean.... I only put a couple JBL prx715s, 2 prx718s, an rm32ai, alienware 17 r3 (thunderbolt/firewire control), helix, custom order esp horizon (semi hollow, no f holes, looks like prs), and.... Oh a new wireless system glxd16.... Ummmmm.... Oh and whats great is that I'll have these sweet jbl boxes to sleep in when we foreclose on our house now...

Anyways!

Yup still always hunting for that tone... And getting close as hell finally! Now just working on settings for being able to really dial in touch dynamics during medium to high gain tones....

Does anyone here have a speaker system of the same quality as the prx system (not saying its great, just for comparison) and had the ability to test next to the Gemini?

I am also in a position where sound is often provided and I am expected to rely on their system... I would bring my prx715s and then I often get the, "why are you bring pa speakers dude? Isn't that a bit over kill dude bro brotha dude?! ... "

When in reality bringing the prx715s is actually quite a bit smaller than 95% of everyones guitar rigs.... So thinking of two options:

1. Gemini

2. Buy an empty cabinet and mount these prx715s inside with a cloth front so no one knows the difference!

Yeah just... Being comical but wanted to chime in. Option 1 would involve my wife also hanging my bits from the headboard.

Thank you for the review. The Mission Gemini 2 was top of my want list to.

The coax 12s make the most sense to me and I would like to keep the gutar cab format.

I purchased the Aspen Pitman Spacestation V3 and could not be happier! It's half the price of the Mission Gemini 2.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spacestation3 

The most surprising thing was that when I A/B'd it with my (long time fave) Mesa 2:Fifty power amp & stereo Fender cabinet, the Spacestation sounded far better! Was even warmer tone. I could not believe it. I have A/B'd the Mesa/Fender rig against many others over the years and it has always come out on top (but I hate gigging with it because it's so damned heavy).

I am the music minister for a church where the sanctuary seats 700. The Spacestation fills that space well especially since it radiates sound 360 degrees if you set it to. It really is 3 dimensional sound. 

Check out the YouTube videos about it, but especially this one: https://youtu.be/GUKcNbvbme8

Here's another with a Helix: https://youtu.be/X1xhSN_Fio4

I purchased the Aspen Pitman Spacestation V3 and could not be happier! It's half the price of the Mission Gemini 2.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spacestation3 

The most surprising thing was that when I A/B'd it with my (long time fave) Mesa 2:Fifty power amp & stereo Fender cabinet, the Spacestation sounded far better! Was even warmer tone. I could not believe it. I have A/B'd the Mesa/Fender rig against many others over the years and it has always come out on top (but I hate gigging with it because it's so damned heavy).

I am the music minister for a church where the sanctuary seats 700. The Spacestation fills that space well especially since it radiates sound 360 degrees if you set it to. It really is 3 dimensional sound. 

Check out the YouTube videos about it, but especially this one: https://youtu.be/GUKcNbvbme8

Here's another with a Helix: https://youtu.be/X1xhSN_Fio4

Good info. I've seen one other post in the space station here too. I think that member may have had a volume limir issue with his in a band situatuin. But Thanks!

I just did my second gig yesterday with the SpaceStation V3 and have the highest praise for this speaker coupled with the B1200D Pro sub. I was using a pair of QSC K12's and they sounded good but to get a good stereo image, you have to be in the sweet spot. This combination sends out a sound that is simply amazing. The sweet spot is everywhere in the room! I encourage everyone to try it out. Once you try it you'll never go back. Watching YouTube videos won't give you what you need to truly appreciate it. My two cents...

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a pair of Yamaha DXR10's and I'm very happy with them but I'm still thinking of grabbing a Gemini 2.  The Empower feature seems like a great idea...does it work as advertised?

Yes the Empower works but for the helix the cab sounds best when it is off at the full FRFR setting.

I just did my second gig yesterday with the SpaceStation V3 and have the highest praise for this speaker coupled with the B1200D Pro sub. I was using a pair of QSC K12's and they sounded good but to get a good stereo image, you have to be in the sweet spot. This combination sends out a sound that is simply amazing. The sweet spot is everywhere in the room! I encourage everyone to try it out. Once you try it you'll never go back. Watching YouTube videos won't give you what you need to truly appreciate it. My two cents...

Can the SpaceStation keep up with a loud drummer in a small rehearsal room?

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a SpaceStation to use with my keyboard based on your recommendation.

B)

... Speaking from many years of marriage wisdom.   :)

With my wife now, I just hand her $200 and say I'm buying new guitar stuff....

• 2 months later...

So the Helix is still impressing me with the Gemini 2. I also purchased the SpaceStation for my keyboard and love it. I did a side by side comparison with the Helix going to the Gemini 2 and the SpaceStation and to me the Gemini 2 won hands down. The Gemini 2 had much fuller bass response. The SpaceStation was good but didn;t have the balls of G2. But for my Roland Keyboard I love the SpaceStation.

I too am an extremely happy Gemini 2 owner and get lots of compliments on how great the rig sounds, usually JTV59US, HSS Strat or R9 Les Paul > Helix > G2. The guys at Mission were great to work with too.

Thought I'd share my wiring set up with you guys. I run a studio quality TRS cable from my headphone out of the Helix to the G2, and the stereo XLR outs from the Helix to the FOH console, simultaneously. That gives me my fully baked patch tone in stereo via the G2 on stage with its own volume control (the headphone volume) and allows me to vary my stage volume while leaving the FOH volume (Master) alone. Maybe call it the 3CM... Handy.