Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Else Underwhelmed?

MolchMon

Just curious, since I saw quite a few (about fifty) glowing five star reviews about the joys and wonders of Helix on Sweetwater's website, is anyone else here as unimpressed and underwhelmed with the Helix as I am? If this unit were half as much $ as it is, I'd be inclined to tweak a little further and suffer through the seemingly never ending list of mediocre sounding amps, cabs, etc. But for the price, it seems to be quite the toil and not even slightly worth the enormous effort one must put forth for zero pay off.

Am I alone on this?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 26

I'm very happy with the tones and features on my Helix. It's allowed me to achieve the tones I want at gigs with an amazing amount of flexibility. It helps me to control the sound of my students in my lessons. It inspires me to play and have fun with the guitar.

But, that is my reaction. If you aren't happy with it, there's no reason to feel obligated to keep it. Just like many of us would choose different traditional tube amps for our rig (Marshall, Fender, Vox, etc), we will all have different wants and needs in digital gear. For that matter, some will choose to return to analog gear. No harm, no foul.

• Upvote 1

I held back for a while on using modelers.  Once I made the decision I immersed myself into the ins and outs.  I read some then applied what I thought I had learned.  It has taken time and thanks to the people in this forum and others I have been able to get a wide variety of tones.  I've even been able to begin to capture my Mesa tone I use with various pedals.  For me it is the ability to just plug in the Helix and use various guitars or even just one for a evening's performance based upon set lists.  Then there are others using dedicated monitors for a full stage sound based upon their tastes.

It has taken awhile and I suspect I am not even 1/64th of the way to learn all the capability.  But give yourself time to learn the unit and create presets from scratch.  And after a few months I just completely re-read the manual twice in the past two days.  I learned a lot more.

You must have had some concept of what it would be for you if it was where you want it to be at tonality wise now..

Good luck on your quest.

Dennis

Just curious, since I saw quite a few (about fifty) glowing five star reviews about the joys and wonders of Helix on Sweetwater's website, is anyone else here as unimpressed and underwhelmed with the Helix as I am? If this unit were half as much $ as it is, I'd be inclined to tweak a little further and suffer through the seemingly never ending list of mediocre sounding amps, cabs, etc. But for the price, it seems to be quite the toil and not even slightly worth the enormous effort one must put forth for zero pay off.

Am I alone on this?

How long have you been at it? There is a bit of a learning curve before you get output levels and EQ dialed in but I assure you it is well worth the effort once you do. Those glowing 5 star reviews are well deserved and Line6 has not even finished improving the Helix yet. I would give it six stars if I could and I am far from a fan-boi. 

To each his/her own, but just curious, why such a hatred negative attitude on spending money Mon? You act like a few others who have complained here about the money spent on Helix being a reason for its poor tonal quality. Once again It sounds to me your just too tight, as in every time you toot yer nose bleeds.  ;)

Am I alone on this?

Please give us some details about how you are using it. How are you monitoring the sound? Headphones? Direct to PA? DAW? Guitar Amp? Studio/Powered monitors? What Helix outputs are you using and what are your output settings?

Are you using any factory presets as a reference, or have you created your own presets? Can you post a recording of a sound clip that leaves you unimpressed and underwhelmed, along with the preset you used when recording the sound? That will allow us to compare your sound to ours and determine if there's a problem with your Helix device.

• Upvote 6

Once again + 1 to Silver, on always taking the high road. Im sorry but I just can't do that. I have no tolerance for those who blame bad tone on how much a guitar processor (I.E. Helix) costs them, and without providing one iota of information or an example to back it up. 

• Upvote 1

Out of the box when i got Helix and went thrue their custom presets i was so dissapointed i almost wanted to return it the same day..

But once i started to make my own presets and learning how to configure it i got a way better tone there are some settings you need to do before you get a good tone..

As for money well if you want a modeller that have the same feature as Helix you have to buy an Axe FX II and their midipedalboard and it cost twice as much as Helix..

Also all those mediocre amp sounds you talk about are very very close to the real deal but they also need some tweaking before they sing well..

I use IR as an option for my sounds i think its night and day compared to Helix cabs but sometimes i blend one Helix cab with one IR..

But i say sell it if you are dissapointed as you need it to sound good out of the box..

If you have seen videos on youtube where helix sounds amazing and you can get it to sound as good as in those videos just sell it..

Am I alone on this?

How many companies care enough to want to help you achieve great tones after you have laid down your hard earned $$?

Line 6 baby

Please give us some details about how you are using it. How are you monitoring the sound? Headphones? Direct to PA? DAW? Guitar Amp? Studio/Powered monitors? What Helix outputs are you using and what are your output settings?

Are you using any factory presets as a reference, or have you created your own presets? Can you post a recording of a sound clip that leaves you unimpressed and underwhelmed, along with the preset you used when recording the sound? That will allow us to compare your sound to ours and determine if there's a problem with your Helix device.

• Upvote 2

Overwhelmed/satisfied with:

-I/O quality and flexibility

-majority of the FX

-IRs

-usability/programming

Content/Ok with:

-Amp Modeling sounds

-Delays

Underwhelmed with:

-Pitch/harmonizing

-Lack of some of the more exotic FX 

-Reverbs

-Stock Cabs

I am happily waiting for more updates and more fun.

Obviously the OP hasn't layed out any $. 

He is making ASSumptions based on looking at one in a store

but not able to fully test it for himself.

There is no way in hell he is complaining after purchasing it , No way!

It is merly an enquiry statement looking for allies probably.

I don't own a Helix yet nor have I demoed one but I am certain it is excellent 

based on reviews demos and user feedback. a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

Am I alone on this?

Well, maybe it's just not that what you are looking for. There are many people who prefer other brands, nothing wrong with that. But I don't understand why would you like it better if it would cost half the price? If you don't like it, you don't like it - no matter if you get it as a present or you pay 1Mio Bucks - right?

Just look for other divices. Happily enough there's a big choice out there these days :-)

The OP seems to have some unrealistic expectations.

Coming from an HD, overall I'm very satisfied with Helix. Put some more filters in there, and an auto-volume (or better, an effect modifier that works on all effects), and I have something that's standalone and usable for a decade or more to come.

The OP has the phrasing and air of trolling about it, add the the click bail subject line on a forum full of people who it's clear love the unit, and you have a hot topic in your midst.

But on the off chance it was genuine, to each their own, nobody on here can defacto convince you the product is either everything you ever wanted or inversely nothing you ever wanted. My own history of gear is that if I am buying it at a price that I already consider is pretty expensive I am already somewhat predetermined that if it doesn't absolutely blow me away straight away I feel that sinking feeling of having made a mistake and wanting to call the retailer begging them to take it back, often completely unfounded.God knows how many times I've invested in a synth or sampler or amp etc, within a few days been sick that I bought it, couldn't return it (or got it second hand) and at a later date after seeing online what others were able to do with it given it a second chance only to fall in love with it.

When I first tried the Helix in a shop I was also underwhelmed with the sound, although impressed by the build quality and interface. However I took a punt and bought one. Got home, connected my guitar and a good set of monitor headphones and before long I was converted. Also now using it for gigs through a power amp and my guitar cabs.

Love mine. Like the Fractal stuff I used to own and the Kemper I own, it's a box full of amps and effects.

The amps are like real ones, you tweak them, plug them into different cabs until you find your favorites. Some settings and cabs you will love, some you won't. However, it's better than having to buy all those $1000-$10000 and up amps and cabs one or more at a time and then trying to sell them because you can't afford them.

Helix and other modelers, I get to keep the good and even the crappy amps and cabs in case I one day grow to need that tone, too.

Portable music store...

• Upvote 1

I too still like Fractal products, and I still own a Kemper. Every time I start playing with it there gos 3 or 4 hours of life.  :P

I of course love my Helix rack too and tone wise it sounds great after minor tweaking. Look its been a long week and maybe I'm just tired, but the OP's remarks are not anywhere close to constructive criticism, pisses me off, and after owning and playing on Helix for a while I know this unit and the others just do not deserve that kind of flat statement 13 year old bashing with no explanation given other than it costs too much so its not worth the time. Yes thats another flat statement. And no, the milage does not vary on that one.   ;)

I've owned and used the Axe-FX II XL+, AX-8, Kemper, and Helix (in addition to quality tube amps).  

I've done exhausting side-by-side comparisons between these units.

They're all excellent/capable products capable of producing good (or poor) sounds.

When dealing with any of these devices, the first thing you need to do is plug them into a FRFR speaker and tweak/audition with it.

You don't want to tweak in headphones or crap speakers... (this is a common mistake)

If the OP made this judgement based on time playing a Helix at a friend's place or at a store... that's not a good way to judge gear (IMO).

You need to get the device setup with your guitar/s and the rest of your gear.

You need to spend the time to learn the details about Helix.

It's no different than a novice buying a full studio's worth of gear (in one fell swoop)... then wondering why his first attempts at recordings don't sound like records.

Having the gear is but the first step.  Learning how to best use it is an acquired skill.

The more time I spend with Helix, the better the results.

I'm in no way disappointed.  The recent 2.0 firmware took an already good product to the next level.

Helix makes recording guitar/bass a breeze... and has really simplified my live setup.

For what it is/does, I think the price of Helix is very reasonable.

I'll go so far as to say Helix is one of the best musical purchases I've made.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for all of the (mostly) encouraging replies, gentlemen. I apologize for the what appeared to be trollish nature of the OP. I didn't realize it would generate such a huge response.

I understand that complicated things like the Helix take a while to get familiar with. I'm have no problem stating that my own user incompetence is a possible cause for my initial dissatisfaction with the unit.

I've had PODs in the past and even the HD didn't seem to be as temperamental as the Helix. I managed to squeeze some decent tones from it (molchmon.bandcamp.com) and expected the Helix to just totally blow it away immediately. Perhaps time is all that is needed here - I'm willing to dig if I know I'll find gold. Based on these replies, it sounds like there definitely is some to be found. And also based on the enthusiasm towards the Helix seen here and elsewhere, it's possible that you are right now reading a post written by technologically stupid person. That being said, here's the (fairly simple) rig run down:

Fender Strat HSS Shawbucker (or SSS) or an active pick up Carvin DC200---

Line6 Helix Rack 2.0 from both rear XLR outputs---

Into both XLR inputs of a Focusrite 2i2---

From Focusrite 2i2 via USB into a Windows 7 i7 Cubase 8 PC 32GB RAM---

M Audio Bx5 powered monitors---

Human ear canal.

I set the Helix's global EQ according to some recommendations from this forum and adjusted the outputs according to the pdf manual.

Thanks for the replies,

MolchMon

• Upvote 5

A much MUCH better post and explanation Molchmon! Yes, time spent on Helix will reward you well Im thinking! You will come to love the tones as most of us here do, and I think you will learn that this thing leaves a Pod in the dust tone wise. Don't worry about the learning curve. We all have to go thru that part (me esp).  ;)

Thanks for all of the (mostly) encouraging replies, gentlemen. I apologize for the what appeared to be trollish nature of the OP. I didn't realize it would generate such a huge response.

Thanks for the response. We can be a bit sensitive here sometimes.

In your previous thread you were having trouble with the USB connection. I presume you got that working now?

I'm sure people here want to help you achieve good tones, but it might take some work on your part to help us help you. For instance, would you go to the trouble of posting a recording of a sound you're not happy with and the preset file that you used for the recording? We could listen to the preset on our systems and compare sounds, and inspect the preset to try to make some adjustments to improve the sound.

EDIT: The way these postings are usually made here is:

- sound file uploaded to Soundcloud and a link posted here

- preset uploaded to Customtone and a link posted here.

....., here's the (fairly simple) rig run down:

Human ear canal.

The first thing I would do, if you haven't done this yet, is listen to the Helix output directly. Remove the Focusrite and your computer from the configuration and connect Helix to your Bx5 monitors (see my text strikeouts above). Set the Helix XLR Output level to either Mic or Line depending on the level that your Bx5 input is expecting to receive at its XLR inputs.

You can also use headphones with Helix as another test/sample.

Do these configurations still sound bad?

• Upvote 2

I understand that complicated things like the Helix take a while to get familiar with. I'm have no problem stating that my own user incompetence is a possible cause for my initial dissatisfaction with the unit.

I've had PODs in the past and even the HD didn't seem to be as temperamental as the Helix. I managed to squeeze some decent tones from it (molchmon.bandcamp.com) and expected the Helix to just totally blow it away immediately. Perhaps time is all that is needed here - I'm willing to dig if I know I'll find gold. Based on these replies, it sounds like there definitely is some to be found. And also based on the enthusiasm towards the Helix seen here and elsewhere, it's possible that you are right now reading a post written by technologically stupid person. That being said, here's the (fairly simple) rig run down:

Human ear canal.

I set the Helix's global EQ according to some recommendations from this forum and adjusted the outputs according to the pdf manual.

Thanks for the replies,

MolchMon

If you're recording with Helix, the very first thing I'd do is turn off the Global EQ.

That's more applicable to live use, where you're trying to compensate for the way PA/monitor speakers are coloring the sound.

• Start with a totally empty preset.
  • Add an Amp/Cab model.  Choose one that suits the style of music you play.
  • I like to use a high-pass filter prior to the amp... then use an EQ post amp to put some "thump" back.  This tightens up the bottom end.
  • Add a reverb block... and tweak it to where it sound good
  • If you don't like the sound, try changing the cab or the mic.  This has a huge effect

Now, spend some time playing your guitar and tweaking the various amp settings.

If you'd just bought a Marshall JVM-410 head, you'd have to go thru this same process.

Tweak the various parameters until you like the sound.

FWIW, When I bought a JVM-410 head, the first couple of days I thought about returning it.

It didn't instantly "wow" me.

After several days of dialing in the amp settings (to work with my guitars/cab), the JVM sounded much better.    :)

Thanks spikey and silverhead. Very encouraging. I'll make and post some unmastered Cubase recordings of the Helix next week, as embarrassing as that might be - I'm anticipating a pretty crude output. Hopefully through the process more will be learned. Thank you for the links.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Out of the box when i got Helix and went thrue their custom presets i was so dissapointed i almost wanted to return it the same day..

+1...

Then again, this has been true of every modeler/multi-fx unit I've had for the last 20 years...if I had judged them all by their factory presets, they'd all probably have been returned. "Instant awesome" doesn't exist, though it does seem to be what some people expect. I don't get it. Most things in life actually require effort.

• Upvote 3

Human ear canal.

+1 on comment from silverhead.

Lose the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 from the set-up - it's simply not needed and is just adding another bunch of signal chopping to whole thing.

Use the Helix USB to hook up to Cubase on the PC.

Patch your monitors via XLR outputs on the Helix rear panel.

Build your own ideal amp/cap and FX preset and try that!

Oh, yeah - It doesn't have a"Turn me into a Guitar God" button - you've got to work at that one.

And, I have just noticed that you have the Rack Model - I hope you have the floor controller for it, or life will be hell.

O.K. Not hell - but difficult.

Have fun!

I have had the opposite experience as you. I can get a great tone by just putting a Plexi amp and couple of speaker cabs in parallel and not changing anything other than low and high cuts on the cabinets.

I have never even listened to any of the built in presets, they are not made for my amplification rig and guitars in mind so I don't expect them to work with my stuff that well. I play in a band and just create my own presets for the tones I need for the songs we play.

-Max

But I don't understand why would you like it better if it would cost half the price? If you don't like it, you don't like it - no matter if you get it as a present or you pay 1Mio Bucks - right?

Just look for other divices. Happily enough there's a big choice out there these days :-)

My sentiments exactly. I think people are too addicted to cheap products. I'm not rich but am more than happy to pay the price for the Helix's sound and its equally important feel.  I have my issues with the Helix and none of them has to do with its sound. After the tweaks I've done on mine, the only thing I periodically change are the preset levels. I'm so content with the sound I'm getting that I now have the luxury of just concentrating on my playing on stage. I'm still running it with firmware that's two versions behind this latest one and have no real desire or need to make any changes to any of my presets. It works so well for me that I am really super hesitant to upgrade its firmware. If Line 6 ever releases firmware that includes a global effects return that is unaffected by preset changes, I'm all in for that.

• Upvote 1

I've had PODs in the past and even the HD didn't seem to be as temperamental as the Helix.

This is the part that confuses me.

There are a number of us that came to the Helix from the POD HD world, and you would be the first I've ever heard say the HD was LESS tempermental than the Helix.  I think most of us would say we spent at least twice as much time fiddling with POD HD patches in order to get them right than we do with the Helix.

Quite frankly right out of the box I have to say every amp model I've used on the Helix is WAY closer to being acceptable with it's default settings and maybe just a few tweaks than any of the amp models on my POD HD.  What I will say is that if you are trying to set a Helix amp to the same settings as you did on the POD HD, that might be the problem.

My recommendation is forget the way you did things on the POD because it's not even close to the accuracy you'll encounter on the Helix.  From my experience and the experience of others on here, there's very little tweaking you need to do to get a great basic sound out of any of the Helix amps/cabinets.  Just let your ears guide you.

• Upvote 2

Well, maybe it's just not that what you are looking for. There are many people who prefer other brands, nothing wrong with that. But I don't understand why would you like it better if it would cost half the price? If you don't like it, you don't like it - no matter if you get it as a present or you pay 1Mio Bucks - right?

Precisely! +1

More like overwhelmed here. So many good tones I get overwhelmed trying to figure out which to use. As stated buy at least one if Glenn Delaunes patches. Give it a listen. You can also look at it to get an idea how to set up your own stuff.

Personally I never touch global eq. I go straight to our board and have never had a need to adjust it. I do not think Glenn messes with Global eq either

Overwhelmed here, too.  My ear may not be the hardest to please but I know what I like and I can achieve it easily with the Helix.

Heck, when I first got it, I didn't even look at the factory presets - just built my own patch using my favorite amp from the Amplifi 150 that I previously owned so I had some experience with how that worked and it's similar with Helix, more like a major step up from the tinker toy version.  Seriously, just tossed in the blocks I wanted, and even with the stock default settings of the various components it sounded damn good.  You can hardly mess things up unless you really try at it.

I love the high gain amps and tones and can't get me enough of the ENGL Fireball / ANGL Meteor.  And good lord, that new Line 6 Modded JCM 2204 - I'm in heaven.

I honestly rarely use other amps since I'm so happy with the tone I'm getting with a select few, but I experimented with the others.  Many of them aren't the tone I'm looking for, but they still sound great.  Just not my cup of tea, at least at the moment - tastes change over time.  That doesn't mean they don't sound great, though.  And I know when I'm ready or itching for something different, all I have to do is press a button.

BTW - I originally purchased the Helix for the UI.  It is superb, bar none.  I very quickly tired of the Amplifi's iOS control interface.  Ugh.  Liked the concept.  Until I used it.  Give me dials and switches, not iPad sliders that sometimes work - I can't count how many times I've reached for one of those sliders, touched and slid, and the slider remained where it was.  Whoops, try again.  Didn't get it that time either, try a third time.  And then all the switching back and forth between pedal/amp/pedal/amp each with their own dedicated screen - ugh, ugh, ugh.  None of that nonsense with Helix.  Thank you Helix.  The only time I really use the Helix Edit application is to load impulse responses or backup presets.  The hardware UI is so good, the editor just gets in the way is slows me down.  Nice to have it though, and it's other folks' bread and butter UI, so best of both worlds.

But again, as far as tones are concerned - it's really hard to mess it up, unless you set out to create a bad tone.

I suspect, as others have stated, your setup is overly complicated.  Simplify.  Let the Helix do the work and get rid of all that in-between stuff.