Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What shall i plug the HD500X REALLY into ?

Metalal5150

Hi guys!

I am a sort of new HD500X user and having plugging this thing into different amps i am getting a totally different sounds each time i use different head or combo. Right i know you're gonna say" yes it will sound different cos all amps / heads will color the sound in a different way" .... . I have tried this with Yamaha combo , Marshall Valve combo and a line 6 combo and head as well. EVEN after keeping all the settings to neutral Bass 5 Mid 5 High 5  Presence 5 etc. in each combo / amp the sound i was getting was very different . . . some sucked as well . . . MY QUESTION HERE . Have anyone tried the HD500X with something like Laney Iron Heart IRT-X   or any different FRFR unit ? 

And is the FRFR speakers the only correct way of using the full potential of HD 500X ?

What is the best way to use this unit and achieve a professional true sound ? 

Thanks and respect guys! 

In your question, The terms "correct" and "best" have no real weight. It's all about what sounds good to you. What works well for someone, might not for someone else.

it's not just the tone stack of other preamps that are coloring your sound in this case. there's also the speakers themselves that have a lot to do with differences between amps and combos, but if you want slightly more consistency and sound, plug into the effects return of an amp head or combo if they have one, to bypass the preamp is whatever physical amp you're using.

for even more consistency in tone, PA speakers (or FRFR) are the way to go. I use them, as well as many other modeling users. I own an Alto TS112a but i also use whatever PA is available and that usually works just as well.

I think the way to have this thing reach its full potential is to go with a Dream Rig type situation. 

Which is the L6 guitar and L6 amp. 

I mean, they are kind of made to go together. 

But, short of going that route... 

You want to be plugged into the purest source possible. A pa, an FRFR, keyboard amp. Some people suggest going into the fx loop to bypass the amp section and just use the power section. That works on some models but not all because the speakers and cabs still add something. They even sell guitar amps that are just power amps, a volume knob and nothing else.  

Whatever you decide to use, the important thing is to always use it. 

You can't use a Marshall to create the perfect tones and then go direct for a concert. Also, you can't use it at 2 in your bedroom and then 6 on stage - especially if it is a tube amp. 

Hi guys!

I am a sort of new HD500X user and having plugging this thing into different amps i am getting a totally different sounds each time i use different head or combo. Right i know you're gonna say" yes it will sound different cos all amps / heads will color the sound in a different way" .... . I have tried this with Yamaha combo , Marshall Valve combo and a line 6 combo and head as well. EVEN after keeping all the settings to neutral Bass 5 Mid 5 High 5 Presence 5 etc. in each combo / amp the sound i was getting was very different . . . some sucked as well . . . MY QUESTION HERE . Have anyone tried the HD500X with something like Laney Iron Heart IRT-X or any different FRFR unit ?

And is the FRFR speakers the only correct way of using the full potential of HD 500X ?

What is the best way to use this unit and achieve a professional true sound ?

Thanks and respect guys!

You basically answered most of your own questions. Yes, everything you plug it into will result in a difference in tone. Sometimes it will be subtle, others times it will be night and day...all depends on the two rigs in question.

If you want any degree of consistency, with minimal tweaking on the fly, then FRFR is the way to go. A good pair of studio monitors, flat response headphones, or any of the other FRFR options out there will be the only way to keep things sounding close to what you're getting at home vs. running straight to FOH at a gig. Notice I said "close"...because it will never be identical. Even two different FRFR speakers will not necessarily give you 1:1 consistency. But, you'll have a hell of a lot less tweaking to do from FRFR source to the next, as opposed to running through ANY traditional guitar amp to create your patches, then trying to use those tones running direct.