Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 Incredible Popping/noise

slabickim

Just picked up this amp at GC, and the issue started immediately. The tech at GC made it clear that "This is a tube amp and the pops and crackles you hear are normal; if you want quiet then don't buy a tube". As demonstrated in the video, it is clearly not a cable issue altough it may resemble that type of sound. I believe this noise has the potential to cause hearing damage without warning if you're nearby. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue? Thanks for any input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pco2rHJnc&feature=youtu.be

dude the GC guy is a nut.... thats clearly a defect.

exchange it.

Just picked up this amp at GC, and the issue started immediately. The tech at GC made it clear that "This is a tube amp and the pops and crackles you hear are normal; if you want quiet then don't buy a tube". As demonstrated in the video, it is clearly not a cable issue altough it may resemble that type of sound. I believe this noise has the potential to cause hearing damage without warning if you're nearby. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue? Thanks for any input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pco2rHJnc&feature=youtu.be

they do come in a box... it nearly has to, because the tolex covering is not the most rugged.

i'd be pretty upset, because they seem to be lying to you at every turn....

said its new... it clearly isn't

said that the sound in the video was normal... no where close...

not sure if they at least gave you an open box discount....

but i'd demand a new one.

Do you know if they typically come in a box? I was also told the amp did not ship with a box. I wonder if it was a store demo and abused to hell and they just lied to me -- it was the only one they had.

Dude ... Something is clearly wrong with that amp. I have a DT25 head and I've NEVER had the "popcorn machine".

The "RealZap" is totally correct .... I'd also demand a new one.

PS: Mine came in a Line 6 cardboard box with all the styrofoam trimmings inside for protection. Necessary for return shipping if required under warranty.

Let us know what happens.

GC has a 30 day return policy you have been dupped...Go to GC and insist on speaking to the manager...Perhaps give the manager only one opportunity to make it right...Accept nothing less than a new amp in an UNOPENED box...If not, get your money back and leave...

Sounds like bad tubes, so I guess in a twisted sort of way, your GC guy was right.  Except that it should NEVER happen on a brand new unit.  I'm guessing they just left the power turned on all day for months and the tubes started wearing down.  I run mine very hard and it does make that noise when the tubes start failing.  

Glad they fixed it.  Sometimes individual GC guys can be a problem, but I've always found them to do the right thing when it came down to brass tacks.  

S.

I haven't played through a tube amp in about 10 years. But back then, the amp looked like it was from the 60's and still had the original tubes... Whole other topic though.

Yeah, they did not give me a hard time at all. I'd like to think perhaps, due to the fact that they were quite busy and I was an upset consumer walking in there with an amp that turns most heads.

Good to hear, that one in the YouTube video is a train wreck (and I don't mean a train wreck brand amp).  That amp had some serous problem.

Cheers,

Crusty

Thanks everyone. It just so happened that I went back to the store and they had another "1" in stock... hmmmm. They honored the exchange and I just tested the new one out. Let me just say, wow not even the same amp! This one sounds great.