Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix USB VS Audio Interface (Output/Input Routing)

Rezonator

Hey Everyone,

So I have a workflow/signal chain question for you all.

To start, here's my setup

AI: Apogee Quartet

Speakers: Yamaha HS8's with Sub

DAW: Logic Pro X

My question to you, is how should I go about routing?

For recording, Should I go directly from the Helix into my DAW via USB, or should I go XLRs out of my Helix, into my Apogee Quartet, and Apogee Quartet into my DAW via USB?

Then for standard practicing, should I do one of the above, or go directly from my Helix into my Yamaha HS8s via XLR or 1/4 inch?

The problem with using my Helix via USB is that I have multiple microphones going into my Quartet, and having to switch active audio interfaces back and fourth while recording is a hassle. I suppose I could always use Apple's "Aggregate Audio Device" function, but am not confident in its usability. I'd love to figure out a way to make this work as I'd like to be able to use Helix's ramping function.

Also, in everything that I've mentioned, do you see a need for me to be using a word clock cable?

Thanks,

For myself I just plug straight into my interface using the XLR outs from the Helix. All my recording gear is rack mounted so this way I don't have to constantly swap cables for my monitors from the interface to the Helix. Plus there have been lots of documented issues that some people have had with the Helix as an interface for Macs so I just figured I know this works and works well, why mess with a good thing.

When it comes to reamping, I just route the signal from my DAW to one of my interfaces outputs and then feed it to one of my FX returns set to line level. The reason I say use the FX return is explained here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/20130-reamping-with-helix/?fromsearch=1

I had posed this question before and this was the response DI chimed in with. So far it has worked quite well for me and I've had no issues with my setup.

I don't think you need to bother with the word clock with this setup because ultimately everything is being routed between devices analog as opposed to digital but maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in on that.

If I were you I'd set up an aggregate audio device, because as you say - then you won't have to re-plug things when you're not using Helix.

Yeah, i've messed with it a bit, just wasn't sure how well it holds up.

For myself I just plug straight into my interface using the XLR outs from the Helix. All my recording gear is rack mounted so this way I don't have to constantly swap cables for my monitors from the interface to the Helix. Plus there have been lots of documented issues that some people have had with the Helix as an interface for Macs so I just figured I know this works and works well, why mess with a good thing.

Interesting, that's a good point. Although, for some reason I also like the idea of going XLRs out of my Helix directly into my speakers for practicing. Something about that idea of not having to have my computer on, or a DAW up to play is appealing. Maybe I'm being irrational.

I'll have to try this, I just need to wrap my head around the whole reamping process...

Fair enough, I have a Focusrite LS56 so I can save all my routing settings directly to the hardware and then essentially use it as a line mixer to my monitors without having to turn on my MacBook.

With reamping the hardest part for me was getting the routing setup within the Saffire Mixcontrol software but once I got that figured out it was super easy and quick. The nice thing also was I could tweak the preset while the track was playing back and then once I found the sound I was after, restart and hit record.

Fair enough, I have a Focusrite LS56 so I can save all my routing settings directly to the hardware and then essentially use it as a line mixer to my monitors without having to turn on my MacBook.

You know, it's funny, I suppose I'd never really though of it that way but in reading your comment I decided to find out if I could do this with my Quartet, and I can... So I suppose that solves that problem!

As far as the ramping goes, I guess I'll just have to play with it a bit. One thing I don't quite understand with your setup, is how are you recording the dry signal initially?

Well in my case, my bassist was sending me dry bass tracks as wave files that he had recorded at home, which I was dropping in my DAW and then routing as laid out above to reamp his signal.

Now as far as getting a dry signal and a processed signal at the same time, what you could do is create a patch with whatever amp, FX, etc you would like and direct its output to the Helix's XLR which you would then plug into one of the Quartet's inputs. In that same patch you would create a second path utilizing the same input but routing it to a different output of the Helix (I usually like to use the S/PDIF, so set it to digital). On this path you would have no processing just the guitar's dry signal and fed into another input on your Quartet. You would arm 2 separate tracks in Logic with each input and voila, a processed signal and a dry signal for you to reamp with later if you like.