Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hurry Please, I Want My Decent Strat Back

I mostly love hd 2.0 but strat lost so much body. I don't want to downgrade to 1.9, just for the lester it worth the 2.0. But for now I'm using T-model 1 and 5 instead of spank 1-5. (T's are awsome btw) Yes I'm not happy with 1 and 5 too and I'm not talking about the 4-2 non-sense. 3? meh don't bother ;)

Please do something quick or at least find a way to cut and paste the spank 1.9 into 2.0

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I mostly love hd 2.0 but strat lost so much body. I don't want to downgrade to 1.9, just for the lester it worth the 2.0. But for now I'm using T-model 1 and 5 instead of spank 1-5. (T's are awsome btw) Yes I'm not happy with 1 and 5 too and I'm not talking about the 4-2 non-sense. 3? meh don't bother ;)

Please do something quick or at least find a way to cut and paste the spank 1.9 into 2.0

Are you experiencing changes in tone similar to what is shown in this video, or does your 2.0 Strat sound different than this somehow (Strat at around 4:14) ?

They have no intention of changing the strat outside of correcting the 2/4 position defaults

just FYI.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the 2.0 Strat sounds more realistic.  I always liked the 1.9,  but it's a bit of a caricature.  As a result, I only used it when I REALLY wanted that quack tone.  Now, I imagine that I'll use it more like I would use a real Strat.  Is that a bad thing?

• Upvote 1

I'll say it again... after owning and playing as many Strats as I have, the 2.0 Strat does NOT sound more realistic. That's why I went back to 1.9. I will re-upgrade to 2.0 when they get ALL Spank models correct, 1 through 5. 3 is as important to me as 2 or 4. The correct "quack" tone is REALLY important to us Strat players.

I hope they do get it fixed soon -- I loved the Teles and Pauls and the new Ricky 12-strings. Can't wait to have the best of ALL worlds!!!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the 2.0 Strat sounds more realistic.  I always liked the 1.9,  but it's a bit of a caricature.  As a result, I only used it when I REALLY wanted that quack tone.  Now, I imagine that I'll use it more like I would use a real Strat.  Is that a bad thing?

I agree with you... To me the Strat does sound and feel more realistic, to.

I think "caricature" is actually a valid term for the 1.9 sound.  It was cool and squanky when playing alone through headphones, but tended towards being vague and tinny in performance situations.  Initially I didn't like 2.0 but it's starting to grow on me - particularly since I managed to get one of the Strat2 fixes to "take".  Unless I'm being thick about it, I haven't noticed any problems with the Strat4 setting on my JTV-69.

Same here ... though I (so far) never seemed to have experienced the 'Spank pos. 2 & 4' problem ... after several 'MIDI timeouts' using the USB device, I decided to update my JTV's (59 & 69) using my trusty old Vetta's VDI & low and behold, I never had a 'MIDI time-out thereafter ... don't know, if that contributes to the problems some of users of having?

Cheers,

Wolf 

It's personal taste fellas. I think many players like it scooped where for me it sounds fizzy. I would say ver2 feels more real but ver 1.9  SOUNDS more to my liking in it's basic EQ. I would love to compare the actual guitars they modeled in both versions. Especially the pickups. Ver 1.9 sounds like funky old dark sounding pickups to me.

Honestly, I believe the two "strats," or "spank" models are based on 2 different guitars. 2.0 doesn't sound like an "HD" version of 1.9; it sounds like a different guitar altogether. That said, I like the 2.0 version better. It has a rounder sound and deeper tone. I thinking what people are missing is the thinner tone of the 1.9 models.

I agree it's gotta be 2 different guitars. The ver2 strat is not one I would buy. Again, through my rig Ver2 brings out the fizz. No doubt about it. Same with the 335 bridge.

Honestly, I believe the two "strats," or "spank" models are based on 2 different guitars. 

For me, this video is proof enough that MOST of the 2.0 models are superior: more open, clearer, with better definition.  B)

Are you experiencing changes in tone similar to what is shown in this video, or does your 2.0 Strat sound different than this somehow (Strat at around 4:14) ?

For me, this video is proof enough that MOST of the 2.0 models are superior: more open, clearer, with better definition.  B)

I agree but through my amp presets the openess, clarity and definition is becoming fizzy when I turn up the gain.

Check for a gain difference... I haven't upgraded yet, but in the video, it sounds to me like the 2.0 *sound* is more to my liking, but has been turned down a couple dB. That'll make a big difference in the sound you get since it's hitting the amp at a lower level.

If you're not satisfied with the 2.0 Strat, it may be worth experimenting with what happens if you put a boost as the 1st effect in the Pod, or else boost the level of the pickups in Workbench.

Check for a gain difference... I haven't upgraded yet, but in the video, it sounds to me like the 2.0 *sound* is more to my liking, but has been turned down a couple dB. That'll make a big difference in the sound you get since it's hitting the amp at a lower level.

If you're not satisfied with the 2.0 Strat, it may be worth experimenting with what happens if you put a boost as the 1st effect in the Pod, or else boost the level of the pickups in Workbench.

I gain compensated on the front end of the axe-fx for my tests. My problem is the huge difference in TONE. Fizzzzz!!!

I agree but through my amp presets the openess, clarity and definition is becoming fizzy when I turn up the gain.

So... more like a real Strat then :D

I hear you though on preferring the 1.9 version, until I had a Variax I hated Strats and could never get a sound I liked from them. After years of noodling around with the Variax I found myself using the Spank 1 position as my main tone and decided to buy a real Strat to match that tone, tried a bunch of different Strats but could not get even a decent useable sound, much less anything similar to the Spank 1 tone I knew and loved but eventually with some Custom Shop Fat 50s pickups I am getting a tone I prefer by far to the Spank 1 tone of 1.9 firmware and by a bit to the 2.0 Spank..

In other words, to each his own... after they fix workbench HD to allow use with my HD500 I plan to do some experimenting on the Spank tones, I am betting the ultimate Strat tone is in there with some minor tweaking.

You know, I must agree with you. The 1.9 strat (and others) are like pre eq'd idealized versions of those guitars. I guess that's why I love 'em. I can get to the tones I want with very little amp tweaking.

So... more like a real Strat then :D

I hear you though on preferring the 1.9 version, until I had a Variax I hated Strats and could never get a sound I liked from them. After years of noodling around with the Variax I found myself using the Spank 1 position as my main tone and decided to buy a real Strat to match that tone, tried a bunch of different Strats but could not get even a decent useable sound, much less anything similar to the Spank 1 tone I knew and loved but eventually with some Custom Shop Fat 50s pickups I am getting a tone I prefer by far to the Spank 1 tone of 1.9 firmware and by a bit to the 2.0 Spank..

In other words, to each his own... after they fix workbench HD to allow use with my HD500 I plan to do some experimenting on the Spank tones, I am betting the ultimate Strat tone is in there with some minor tweaking.

I just bought my Variax yesterday and I actually made the Firmware update as soon as the battery was charged, so I didn't even try any other Firmware, but regarding to that Youtube clip the new Firmware sounds much less muffled and more clear and real to me than the 1.9 version.

I just updated to 2.0 and think all models except Spank sound better than 1.9.

There is a big difference in the output of Spank vs all the other models and the tone lacks the personality of my stock US 10 year old Strat with rosewood neck. I think the 1.9 was actually closer to the real thing, especially the neck pickup. And I didn't have to turn my amp of 2-3 notches to get the same volume as the Lester model (or my actual Strat). Maybe the firmware update didn't take properly? Is everyone else's Spank 2.0 this quiet? I updated twice and the Spank is still ALOT quieter than everything except the Tele's

I changed 2 of the Tunings after the first update and they did not get overwritten after the second update. So does the update only effect the Models?

And the volume of the modeled Strat is 3/4 the volume of my actual Strat. Maybe thats the difference between a 50's Strat and a newer one?

Sorry for so many questions in my first post...

Still not sure if I want to go back to 1.9. I probably used the Spank position 5 more than any other model. But it's just not as fun now. :(

I hate spending a lot of time tinkering, but I guess that's the only solution to getting the best of both worlds. The Lester sounds pretty close to my 15 year old LP.

Maybe Line 6 is working on another Strat model for those of us that feel like the 2.0 Strat has let us down....

I just updated to 2.0 and think all models except Spank sound better than 1.9.

There is a big difference in the output of Spank vs all the other models and the tone lacks the personality of my stock US 10 year old Strat with rosewood neck. I think the 1.9 was actually closer to the real thing, especially the neck pickup. And I didn't have to turn my amp of 2-3 notches to get the same volume as the Lester model (or my actual Strat). Maybe the firmware update didn't take properly? Is everyone else's Spank 2.0 this quiet? I updated twice and the Spank is still ALOT quieter than everything except the Tele's

I changed 2 of the Tunings after the first update and they did not get overwritten after the second update. So does the update only effect the Models?

And the volume of the modeled Strat is 3/4 the volume of my actual Strat. Maybe thats the difference between a 50's Strat and a newer one?

Sorry for so many questions in my first post...

Still not sure if I want to go back to 1.9. I probably used the Spank position 5 more than any other model. But it's just not as fun now. :(

I hate spending a lot of time tinkering, but I guess that's the only solution to getting the best of both worlds. The Lester sounds pretty close to my 15 year old LP.

Maybe Line 6 is working on another Strat model for those of us that feel like the 2.0 Strat has let us down....

I want to stay with 2.0 for now but I did 2 things to patch the spank. I used the presets of a guy who made a weird patch to fix the bug in position 2 that only use one pickup sometimes. And 2nd I raised all 5 positions by 5db in workbench hd. Still softer than LP but it's more what it should be. It was way to quiet compare to other guitars. A strat should have the same output than a tele and in 2.0 it's not the case.

Are you using a JTV89? Most of the complains I saw was 89 users...

It is a JTV-59 Korea.

Do you recall which preset you downloaded?

I made a couple of short videos to show how the Spank 2.0 lacks the output of 1.9 and all of the other 2.0 models, but I can't get them uploaded to YouTube.

If I figure it out, I will post the links here.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

So, I too was having problems w/the sound of the Strat using HD 2.0.  After working on this issue for quite some time w/the HD Editor, I could not get position 2 of the strat to stick (in other words, I could get it to sound decent, but when I unplugged from Workbench, no dice).  So, on a hunch, I moved the Neck Pickup on the strat directly over the top of the bridge pickup, set the position and slant the same...also set it to the Strat Bridge pickup.  Finally, I unselected the original bridge pickup and enabled the neck pickup (now in the bridge position).  Low and behold, it now sticks and sounds like my 2007 Strat Deluxe on position #2.  Also, I boosted the middle pickup and lowed the volume of the lower four strings to around 50%...also raised the volume level to 5.0.  Hope this helps others!

Please don't say to "copy and paste strat 1.9 to 2.0" That's an incredibly bad and impossible idea. I'm sure there's some core system to the HD modeling and that the 1.9 strat couldn't be entered as a standalone extra without using even more of the flash RAM for the firmware. It would also be inconsistent which would be annoying.

Ask them to fix the HD Workbench editor so you guys can finally tweak the stat to your liking without it screwing up. THIS is what needs to be fixed.

Disregarding that, workbench is the best way to fix any tonal issues you have with the patches. Example: On my 600, I was unimpressed with how the tele wasn't as bright as I wanted it to be, so I backed up the pickups a bit towards the bridge and bam, sounds amazing. Sounds a lot more twangy and distinct from the strat models now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1