Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Mark IV sounds are on point!

njglover

Snapshots is probably the biggest feature to have been added, but I'm actually really excited about the Rhythm 1 mode of the Mark IV model. It sounds just like the Fat channel on my Roadster, probably because that channel comes from the Mark I. This means I now have my clean sound from that amp, the Tweed sound (another setting I used on that amp), several great lead tone options, and the all mighty Rectifier sounds. While I would love to see the Rockerverb on there one of these days, it isn't strictly necessary. I have all the tones from my real amp now. Missing the fuzzes I use, so I still have to patch that in through the loops, but ultimately, there is zero need for me to bring a big, heavy tube amp to a gig ever again. Great job guys!

PS - so far the dual harmony pitch shifter seems to be working fine for me, at least for harmonies as I use it (fifths and thirds).

New question: would you mid sharing the Helix names of those patches? I'm guessing it's not called Mark IV...

It's in the update notes. Looks like they call them Cali IV (there are three different ones, one for each channel). Cali IV Rhythm 1, Cali IV Rhythm 2, Cali IV Lead.

It does sound great and really close to the Mark IV settings on my Mark V.

Helix is so much more even and controllable through.

I should take my Mark V into my reactive load back into Helix into the same IR and AB it. Wouldn't be surprised if Helix sounded better.

I used a Quad preamp into a Mesa 50/50 for years and loved it before switching to Line 6 gear for the convenience, reliability, and travel-ability.

I've been able to easily duplicate my great Mesa tones(especially the gorgeous Lead 1) and definitely agree with roscoe5 that the Helix is "much more even and controllable." I virtually recreated my old rack and pedal board. FANTASTIC JOB Line 6!!

The MarkIV models' sounds are great and the cool thing is that using snapshots you can switch between a snapshot with the Mesa EQ on this model in or out, just like the footswitch allows you to do on a real Mark IV amp. I guess you could have sort of accomplished that with the new separate Mesa EQ block ("Cali Q Graphic") they included but it probably sounds a bit different placed before or after the amp block then it does within the model. Point is, this is a great model and snapshots allow maximum flexibility with its extra page of Mesa EQ parameters.

Do you guys know how Line 6 modeled the Mark IV?  I know the real amp has the push pull knobs for some of the controls like Bass(deep) and Treble (shift). 

Here's part of a response from Ben Adrian (the guy at Line 6 that modeled the amp):

My philosophy for the amp when it came to all the tone switching was to try and use the more common setting. Also, some setting seemed to limit the range of the knobs, and in that case, I'd use the setting that gave the most adjustment range.

So, I used full power and simul-class. I think the harmonic/mid gain was set to harmonics.

I know the three presence knobs were pushed in, which gave the most difference in the power amp from channel to channel. I had to model a lot of the power amp THREE TIMES since the negative feedback changes on a per channel basis. What a pain 

Posting this out of pure curiosity.  I absolutely love the new Helix Cali  IV models.

I just remembered that Amplitube 4 has a Mesa-certified Mark IV model with all of the push-pull and switch features of the original.  Now I REALLY want to do a 3-way shootout of the Helix, AT4, and Mark V Ch3 MkIV mode all into the same cab sim.

Now I have to decide which cab sim would be the best for comparison...a 3rd party IR, a Helix Cab, or the certified Mesa Cab in AT4.

I suppose since this is a Helix forum, I could start by routing everything through a Helix Cab.  If I have the time and interest from everyone, I could do a 3x3 matrix comparision of each of the 3 amp sims into each of the 3 cab sims, 9 sound clips in all.

mark_v_fd1_front_panel.jpg

AT%2BMB%2BMkIV%2BFront.JPG

AT%2BMB%2BMkIV%2BBack.JPG

• Upvote 1

Go for it! I'm a big fan of the Amplitube Mesas, though I've been sticking to Helix since I got it, it's so much more practical anywhere but at home. Love those AT tones, not just but definitely including the Mesas.