Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cm The Hd Pod Bean (oh Yes, This Works)

spaceatl

This is a thread I posted a long while back that is in the old forum...Just figured I would bring it here after it came up in a thread earlier today...enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------

So I have been meaning to sit down and do this for a couple of weeks...Life kept getting in the way...But I finally had a little time to re-spin the patches I need for an upcoming show using the HD Bean...And yes, you read this correctly...I am using the bean in 4 Cable Mode. It works like a dream...

I have a DT50 and for this show coming up I am need just a few more FX than my HD400 can muster...It's close, but I really needed some of the programable footswitch stuff...And the HD Bean has enough FX blocks that I only really need two tones (Clean and Crunch) and I can get the rest of what I need using stomp blocks...However the caviat is that I can bypass the DT50 preamp if I like and use a pre model from the HD Bean...and 8 FX blocks...

You have to change the setup around a little to get this to work....I am using a female 1/4-> male XLR adapter to HiZ the mic input...turn the trim all the way down and it takes line level just fine...

The DT50 is all unbalanced, so in that case I need all typical unbalanced cables...

Cabling up

GTR-> HD GTR Input

HD Left Out->DT50 GTR Input

DT50 Send->HD Mic Input adapted

HD Right Out-> DT50 Return

In the setup menu, change input 2 to mic and input 1 is guitar...

For this to work, setup the chain as a dual tone patch with each amp set to NONE...For the FX blocks you want before the preamp, put those on the LEFT (TOP) Chain...For the stuff after the preamp, put those on the RIGHT (BOTTOM) Chain...mixer should be the last thing in the chain...Make Left is panned all the way Left and Right is all the way Right...

I am using a conventional channel switch with the DT50 and an FBV shortbiard with the HD Bean...

DT50 channels NFL2 Class A Pentode patch on A and an NFL4 Class AB Pentode on B...A is fairly clean with a hair of dirt when strings are spanked hard...Channel B is moderate Crunch with the Drive around 1 oclock...

I have included one of my more basic patches to get anyone started that is interested in trying this...To use it, change the extension to hbe and enjoy!

Black Diamond 4 CM DT50.txt.zip

• Upvote 2

depends on your OS, and some settings...

basically download the file

select it with your mouse hit F2, backoff .zip and type .hbe

if you don't see .zip, you need to go into your file setting and enable "show file extension"

sadly i do not know how to do this

• 10 months later...

Hey space

I know this is an old thread but I have just got myself a new amp with an FX loop and am keen to try this out with my desktop, I just really wanted to know that with this method can you use the POD's amp sims? It's not that I really need to as I like my amps sound but just for flexibility I guess does it work?

Cheers mate

Not 100% sure but I think if you pan the amp model to one side you may be able to do it.  The PODHD bean basically uses both the inputs to emulate the 4cm method since it doesn't have an FX loop.  If you don't pan the amp model to one side then it would be in the effect chain both before and after your real amp's guitar input.  Might be an interesting effect but typically it's not done.

Actually turns out its not working at all for me haha, on the off chance I got hold of a couple extra patch leads on my way home from work today and thought i'd give it a shot.

I followed Space's instructions with regards to cabling up and setting up, but so far I am getting absolutely no sound whatsoever now haha, cant quite work out whats going on. As soon as I click input 2 over to mic I lose all the sound

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be totally grateful, this is my first ever dealings with using the 4CM so I could be totally fudging this right up! 

hey there....cool you got it working...It's a very tweaky setup. If the POD had a concentric master (separate left and right) it would really help getting the level just right...It can be done as is, just tweaky and lots of cables...

• 2 weeks later...

You have to change the setup around a little to get this to work....I am using a female 1/4-> male XLR adapter to HiZ the mic input...turn the trim all the way down and it takes line level just fine...

The DT50 is all unbalanced, so in that case I need all typical unbalanced cables...

Do I need to be worried about the whole balanced/unbalanced thing with the mic input?  What I've read is that everything but the mic in on the POD is unbalanced.  So if I buy a regular balanced 1/4" female --> male XLR adapter, am I going to be okay running an unbalanced 1/4" cable from the amp's send into that adapter?

Or could I use a 1/4" male --> XLR male adapter, and combine that with a normal balanced female-male XLR cable?

I've read numerous threads elsewhere about balanced vs unbalanced, so I'm not hoping to go off-topic here, just looking for cable/adapter possibilities that will work.

Actually, the 1/4" outs are balanced on the HD POD....You have to use unbalanced cables when you use it with unbalanced devices. In terms of the XLR, all you need is an XLR to mono 1/4"...stick with unbalanced cables and the XLR=>1/4 mono adapter and you will be fine....I have read those threads too and the folks that tout balanced as some how being better than unbalanced really have no clue what they are talking about...That equates to the Guitar Center dude that tells you an amplifier is Class A, so it must be good...good luck...

That's great, and thanks for the quick reply.  Now all I have to do is wait for the adapter to arrive.

The HD already sounds great after the preamp... if this setup will work, I can sell my tubesreamer and decimator.  Fewer pedals, cables, and plugs.  :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...