Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I might do it... Maybe.

hideout

So, as I've said before, sonically, I am perfectly happy with my Helix the way it is and only have a very mild curiosity of the new Mesa models and Snapshots feature.

What I want to know is, has anyone followed the update instructions TO THE LETTER and still had issues with their Helix?

So, as I've said before, sonically, I am perfectly happy with my Helix the way it is and only have a very mild curiosity of the new Mesa models and Snapshots feature.

What I want to know is, has anyone followed the update instructions TO THE LETTER and still had issues with their Helix?

To preface I am on a g7 HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64. i5 with 8Gb RAM and manually adjusted swap file size.  I use Firefox for downloading the latest App installer (in this case 2.00.1) which I check before even thinking about using the Line6 Updater program for the 2.0 firmware update.  And as a side note I always disable my anti-virus during the process, which is actually standard for installing any software in my case.

Other than the recognized Z value bug, my upgrade has been seamless; I am real type A though.  And I only use the editor for backing up with very few minor changes so no thoughts on the Vintage Echo mid controller issue in the Editor.

Dennis

Although I had some questions along the way and do think the process could be a bit more obvious for newbies I have to admit I have never had a single problem upgrading and I have upgraded through every single firmware version since the Helix hit the market using a Windows 10 laptop.  The only serious issue I have encountered is presets I created from previous firmware versions causing either the Helix or the Editor to lockup and I have always been able to remedy that issue by slightly modifying the preset and saving it.

OS X 10.10. Followed the instructions exactly including patch backup, firmware update, reset to factory, update Helix application, restore patches. No issues at all.

I suspect that a majority of upgrade issues have been due to forgetting or missing/skipping something, and a tiny minority (if any) otherwise.

On a forum like this you're going to see 90-100% people who run into issues, and 0-5% people who have no problems.

I never had a problem till 2.0. Im running win 10 and nothing saved or backed up. Just a straight firmware upgrade to 2.00. Mine worked fine for a day or 2 then started freezing when I would change patch modifications. I had the problem before anyone else here posted about this. I have been in contact with line 6 support since it started last week and have tried their recommendations to no avail. I also went back to V1.12 FW and it locked up after about an hour and I had never had that problem until the 2.0 upgrade had been done. I will talk to line 6 Monday but I'm pretty sure the unit is now defective and the 2.0 upgrade brought it out. Also I have a rack and foot controller.

I never had a problem till 2.0. Im running win 10 and nothing saved or backed up. Just a straight firmware upgrade to 2.00. Mine worked fine for a day or 2 then started freezing when I would change patch modifications. I had the problem before anyone else here posted about this. I have been in contact with line 6 support since it started last week and have tried their recommendations to no avail. I also went back to V1.12 FW and it locked up after about an hour and I had never had that problem until the 2.0 upgrade had been done. I will talk to line 6 Monday but I'm pretty sure the unit is now defective and the 2.0 upgrade brought it out. Also I have a rack and foot controller.

Did you reset the unit to factory settings? The instructions say in big bold letters: IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.00! ... YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.0 MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY

If you didn't back up your patches, reset the unit, then restore the patches with the new editor software, then that's very likely why things went wrong.

Well... I rolled the dice.

So far, so good.

And of all the features that I'm finding useful, it's the input impedance settings that you can now save to each patch.

Yes, it's quite subtle but it does change not just the tonality of the guitar but its feel also changes. I love it!!

I haven't played around with the Mesa Mark IV much. It sounds good but as I said, I've never been much of a high gain guy so I don't know if I'll ever get to it.

I have not even touched the snapshots feature - not sure I need it. Yet.

Win 7 here. Followed the instructions to the letter, bricked my Helix, until it occurred to me to try a different USB port. That failed once, then succeeded on retry, no problems since. I've since discovered that I'm not the only one who's had similar USB problems, maybe chipset compatibility, who knows.

But in the end it worked out, and the upgrade has a number of importantly good new features.

I followed the update instructions to the letter with my first helix, but it had problems and I had to return it day 1. My new helix has never had any problems. Not one freeze up so far..knock on wood.

Now that I think on it, the first software update hung mid stream. I waited like 15 minutes, and eventually powered off the unit, and restarted the 2.0 update which succeeded. That was my first unit though. More problems began showing themselves right away.