Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just got my Helix and JTV89 - now what?

bc05

Im giddy Im so excited, got the backpack and all.

Have updated it to Version 2.00 and reset all the presets at work - (no guitar here so cant actually play it grrrr)

Any suggestions as to what batch of presets I should spring for first to hear this thing dance with my Variax?

I'll be connecting the the VDI Cable.

Was considering getting Glenn DeLaune's entire collection to start with...any suggestions?

Have updated it to Version 2.00 and reset all the presets at work - (no guitar here so cant actually play it grrrr)

Any suggestions as to what batch of presets I should spring for first to hear this thing dance with my Variax?

Was considering getting Glenn DeLaune's entire collection to start with...any suggestions?

There are a lot of free presets to be had on CustomTone, I mostly prefer to create my own though. First thing I did was rename one of my unused "User" set lists "Variax". Next, I copied over some of my favorite presets from my other "User" lists and tailored them to the Variax. I set up and named some presets tailored to the acoustic instruments on the Variax like "Banjo", "Martin Guitar", "Sitar", and "Dobro". I used force on those presets so when I click on the preset it automatically pulls up the corresponding model on the Variax without me having to touch the Variax selector.  Then I started playing with things like assigning the "Drive" parameter on my amp models or distortion pedals to the Variax volume knob so that turning up the guitar's volume would also crank up the drive and maybe simultaneously bring down the presence or highs. I played with assigning things like the delay time to the tone knob. The possibilities for controlling Helix parameters from your Variax are infinite.  Lastly I started copying over and creating presets targeted and named after songs I perform, dialing in forced models for specific songs, Lester for this one, Strat for another, you get the idea. I am still just getting started. Having a tightly integrated guitar and MFX that can communicate and control each other is an astounding amount of fun and opens up whole new areas of experimentation and the ability to get an incredible variety of sounds quickly.

Same rig as me! I got my JTV89F last week and I'm super impressed....and coming from a PRS P22! The versatility is incredible, and the playability is also top notch!

I love using the new Helix snapshots with my Variax.

I have the Helix footswitches set up so that the up and down switches on the left select presets. I have one preset per amp model that that I use: Acoustic (no amp), Vox, Fender, Marshall, and Mesa.

I have the upper four footswitches selecting snapshots. I have one snapshot per Variax model, and it's a different four models for each preset. Each snapshot also tweaks the amp input drive settings to match the output level of the Variax model. (No effect block needed; does not use extra DSP!) Some snapshots also switch on effects.

I have the lower four footswitches selecting stomps. I have different stomps for each preset, although in every preset the fourth stomp is always an output block level boost. (No effect block needed; does not use extra DSP!) Even though my preset display mode can only show four stomps, all my presets have more than four stomps. For the less frequently used stomps I switch to stomp mode to access them.

Living the dream, rig.

• Upvote 1

Congrats on the Helix and Variax!!  Opens up a world of possibilities.  

I have quite a few videos on my channel about how to perform various tasks on Helix and patch creation.  You can also download the patches I use in the videos for free.  Here's a link:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO9JwLO8HgC91MxohYw1Paw/videos

I use a Variax as well, but for the sake of keeping my videos as universally applicable as possible I generally don't have any Variax changes programmed in my patches.  But it's simple to add if you'd like to.  

Have fun!!

Before you go buying patches...make sure you ONLY buy the ones that are new and made to go with snapshots.

All the old ones out there are designed to be used with footswitch controllers and won't work with snapshots. :)

Before you go buying patches...make sure you ONLY buy the ones that are new and made to go with snapshots.

All the old ones out there are designed to be used with footswitch controllers and won't work with snapshots. :)

That's a good point, and I would also say that even if you buy patches take the time to examine them and see how they're put together.  

I think it's important to understand how tones are built and how the Helix works.  Other people's patches can be a great starting point, but nobody's patches are going to be 100% perfect for your needs.  Too many real world variables (different guitars, speakers, amps, playing styles, etc) that are going to affect your tone.  

Even if you always start with someone else's patch or a template, it's still important to learn how to make Helix sound great with YOUR setup.  

Plus learning how to tweak is half the fun, as long as you can avoid completely going down the rabbit hole and getting lost in it :)

Just to clarify, lest any readers misinterpret this statement.........

Old patches designed to work with footswitch controllers will continue to work with firmware v2.0 which introduced the snapshot feature. Of course if you want to use snapshots with the old presets you will have to redesign them. But the existing preset structure and amp/FX selections and settings are what produce the sound the purchasers are buying. Snapshots add flexibility but not sound improvement.

Some users will not use the snapshot feature. They are comfortable, familiar, and perfectly happy with their existing presets and the footswitch controllers. The older presets you can purchase are very suitable as-is for them.