Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and PODxt

Elini

Hi all,

First of all I should say that I don't own the Helix yet. I have been thinking recently should I buy the Firehawk or Helix or if Helix is a bit too much and overkill for a beginner. I am still yet to decide on that but my main question is, is it possible to use a downloaded tone made for PODxt for Helix? I have been looking for this tone but it is created with PODxt Live:

http://de.line6.com/customtone/tone/140826/

Thanks 

Syd

Not possible at the moment I guess (*.l6h file format of the Helix; way more settings with the Helix that could not be taken from POD-file).

Moreover, preset would sound totally different with the Helix that with the POD (Helix has a way higher resolution and level of detail).

I would suggest to "rebuild" the old preset by putting all "sound block" (like AC-30 in your example, etc.) of the old preset into signal chain in the Helix. With a little bit of tweaking I am sure that Helix will sound way better than POD did (made the same experience with different other sounds based on 5150, Mesa, Fender, etc.).

Helix is extremely easy to use an program... you should give it a try.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say the Helix is overkill for a beginner but ultimately only you can make that decision. It is a great piece of kit and if you've been following posts on this forum, there's lots of people he feel more inspired to play because of it, myself included.

You cannot open XT patches in the Helix what I would suggest is to download the XT editor (I believe its Gearbox) and open the patch in their. That way you can use it as a general guide to rebuild it in Helix.

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

First of all I should say that I don't own the Helix yet. I have been thinking recently should I buy the Firehawk or Helix or if Helix is a bit too much and overkill for a beginner. 

Thanks 

Syd

The answer with buying Helix versus a standard pod (or other dated and cheaper guitar processor) is the same concept as buying a cheap guitar versus a good guitar that plays well. Let me explain. The better the guitar (yes it costs more) in most cases means that it plays better too, and is less stressful for your learning fingers. That in turn leads to playing longer, and learning faster. The same thing goes with better guitar processors. The better they sound, the more you want to play.  :)

• Upvote 1

Helix can be as easy or complicated as you make it.

It's a great piece of hardware that will have years of use - and honestly - it's easier to use than the PodXT even with all the extra options.

Thanks, I was actually thinking between Helix and Firehawk Multi FX not PODxt. The only reason I mention PODxt was because I found my favorite tune available to download but it was made with Podxt and I was wondering can I download that and use it in Helix or not :)

The answer with buying Helix versus a standard pod (or other dated and cheaper guitar processor) is the same concept as buying a cheap guitar versus a good guitar that plays well. Let me explain. The better the guitar (yes it costs more) in most cases means that it plays better too, and is less stressful for your learning fingers. That in turn leads to playing longer, and learning faster. The same thing goes with better guitar processors. The better they sound, the more you want to play.  :)

You're absolutely right. I was just wondering since Helix is 3 times more expensive than Firehawk Multi FX, and considering I'm a beginner and might not end up using all the features and power of Helix, will that be a good idea or not.

• 5 months later...

I have been looking for this tone but it is created with PODxt Live:

http://de.line6.com/customtone/tone/140826/

Thanks 

Syd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this download link you provided for use with Pod Farm software ? Wouldn't it be the same to just run a DI with guitar straight into a computer using Pod Farm software, without even using the POD XT Live hardware ? :huh: