billlorentzen

"Stop After Record" button for Looper

When I'm using the looper, sometimes I want to store a pass through a verse so I can solo over it later in the song. Currently this requires a double press of the Play button. When you're playing, singing and entertaining, this is a bit much to deal with, and even if you do it quickly, there is stil some of the loop overhanging until the second press. A Stop button would be extremely useful. I would suggest moving the 1/2 speed up to the top row and putting the Stop button right next to the Play button, for easy access.

If you like the idea, you can vote for it on ideascale.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Stop-After-Record-button-for-Looper/831658-23508?submitted=1

• Upvote 1

THIS! I have exactly the same issue. BOSS got it right, using a separate foot switch to continue looping and recording,
or the option to stop the recorded loop from repeating. I do a lot of recording parts of verses of choruses to come back to later
for doing lead over, this becomes a bit messy having to do two stomps, and can easily throw you off the groove
(not to mention, if I were to let it play on and sort "catch up" in a bar or so, the level will de decreased while waiting for 
new bar to come in on with a double stomp.

You do realize this would mean buying a new, updated hardware version of the Helix, right???  Another $1500 for another footswitch?

there's empty footswitches they could use.. it shouldn't need hardware. actually i'd like to be able to map a loop record button to the main pedals layout.. so you can record a loop and change effects /snapshots in the one place

I've not tried it myself, but wouldn't this be possible now using MIDI? I saw the manual shows a set of MIDI CCs to control looper functions - CC 6, value 0-63 triggers looper Stop. I suppose you could get a simple external MIDI switcher with a few footswitches and dedicate it to controlling looper functions. I think I saw some guys posting here that do this now, which seems like a nice option since it frees up your Helix footswitches to do other things.

As someone who uses looping a lot (used to do a lot of ambient stuff, now in covers band I'm doing exactly what you are trying to, have a background guitar part for some lead). 

I see the Helix's looper as a very utility thing, It's super handy for practicing but what might better suit your purpose is one of the following,

1 - Boss RC-30. It's big advantage is it can store 99 loops (each with two tracks). SO on occasion I have pre-recorded parts so I don't have to worry about goofing up the loop point when recording live (I am someone who can nail a perfect measured loop pretty much all the time in my studio, but put me in front of even one set of watching eyes and I end the loop too early or too late and then the drift sounds awful with a band). The only caveat is, the band have to be playing in the exact time you recorded the loop, humans never comply, and my drummer wont play with a click track on stage. 

2 - TC Electronic Ditto X4. This can only store one loop (well, two I guess but just as separate tracks) so the Boss beats it there. As such you'd probably need to record the verse in realtime on a pass through, which will get you around the timing thing with the band. Advantage is though it has a dedicated stop button. It also has great effects that can be stacked. It can sync to midi if needs be. Has a really clever 'Decay' feature which fades out early passes in the loop as you overdub new ones (if you want). But oddly the thing that I absolutely love the most is it has a thing called 'serial mode', which allows you to record a loop on track 1 and a loop on track tw. So you engage one (verse part maybe which keeps things in time) then press the second footswitch anywhere during playback, in an Ableton Live like way the looper will wait until the end of the measure and switch to the second track (so maybe chorus) and vice versa. Really opened up some great workflows for me.

• Upvote 1

I've not tried it myself, but wouldn't this be possible now using MIDI? I saw the manual shows a set of MIDI CCs to control looper functions - CC 6, value 0-63 triggers looper Stop. I suppose you could get a simple external MIDI switcher with a few footswitches and dedicate it to controlling looper functions. I think I saw some guys posting here that do this now, which seems like a nice option since it frees up your Helix footswitches to do other things.

I tried tonight to use assign looper controls to helix stomp switches by assigning midi CC to them, but the helix does not seem to listen to its own midi despite being set to the correct midi channel. I WAS able to control the looper by using a computer over usb midi sending CC controls as defined in the manual.