Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Setting

d_sic3

Hi All,

I've been hooking up my HD500 to my Laney Ironheart IRT-Studio via 4CM.  I am using the POD for effects and clean tones (fender simulation preamp only).  

My questions are:
(1) how should I set the volume for both devices so that both will be at it's optimum level?  
(2) Will the POD master volume act as the overall master volume for both amp and POD?

Thanks in advance.

DO

The obvious answer is --- set it how ever you want to make it sound the way you want it to sound. 

I don't use 4cm, or amp, or anything else. I run straight to the pa. 

But no matter what you use, the important thing is to keep the volume the same when switching. 

What I do to set my volume is: 

I plug my mp3 player into the pod and I play a file. The jack isn't controlled by the Master Volume knob. I try to adjust the Master Volume so that my playing volume is equal to the mp3 that is playing. 

I know it isn't exactly what you were hoping for, but it is a way to get a baseline volume. 

• Upvote 1

Hope this helps:

(1) how should I set the volume for both devices so that both will be at it's optimum level?  

I use the 4CM for some clean PREAMP Models... The Master volume of the POD must be at 100%. The volume of my AMP is Around 40%-60% (Too much will color the tone), the VOLUME knob (POD) can be adjusted as you wish. 

(2) Will the POD master volume act as the overall master volume for both amp and POD?

The MASTER VOLUME of the POD will give the full color of the AMP/PREAMP that you are modeling. We all suggest that this knob should be at 90% - 100%  

• Upvote 1

Hope this helps:

I use the 4CM for some clean PREAMP Models... The Master volume of the POD must be at 100%. The volume of my AMP is Around 40%-60% (Too much will color the tone), the VOLUME knob (POD) can be adjusted as you wish. 

The MASTER VOLUME of the POD will give the full color of the AMP/PREAMP that you are modeling. We all suggest that this knob should be at 90% - 100%  

Thanks a lot.  I'll try this one.

The only problem I have due to that the IRT Studio has no master volume is whenever we practice (which requires me lower than live volumes), makes the POD (fender cleans) louder than the IRT's (Dirt channel) as it was set to a high volume.  I guess I'll have to turn down the master volume every time yes? :)

I create all of my presets in the context of a band mix recording, so I set my eq, gain, fx levels, everything, right there.
This tellls me if I'm taking up too much, or too little space in the mix, if I'm sitting just right in the sweet spot, my boosts are loud enough but not too loud, my fx levels are just right, everything.

I might make some additional adjustments, or copy a preset & make a bit of a low end cut specifically for a 7 string preset, just so that I don't take up space in my bass player's range, but that's about it.

More often than not, I show up to play, they bypass the eq, setup a gain structure for unity gain, and give me what I need in my "in ears", and I'm sound checked.