Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Dt25 Very Bright Sound On Patch Change

edstar1960

I have a JTV59, and HD500 and a DT25.  The HD500 and DT25 are on latest levels of flash and drivers and the JTV is still back on 1.71.  I connect the JTV via VDI to HD500 and the HD500 via L6 Link to DT25.

Other than sometimes not getting any sound of the DT25, which is cured by switching everything off and then back on, I have not had any issues until now, just after I updated the HD500 to the latest level of drivers for the HD500X support, which I didn't need but I like to keep the software up to the latest levels.

Now, when I switch from a patch with an AC15 PRE to a PLEXI LEAD 100 NRM PRE, most  times I get a very bright sound, almost like it has switched to the PLEXI LEAD 100 BRT PRE on steroids, and when I press the FS again it returns to the expected warm PLEXI LEAD 100 NRM PRE sound.   Sometimes it will work correctly first time, but most times I have to press the FS twice because first push results in this painful bright sound and second push gives me the expected sound.     I thought at first it was something to do with FS8 which is where the PLEXI LEAD patch is assigned, but I tried moving it to FS5 in a different bank, and it still did the super bright sound on first switch when swapping from an AC15 PRE patch, and then a second press resulted in normal sound.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers and reinstalling the flash memory, and also reloading the SET LIST patches from my PC backup.  But the problem remains.  I have also reproduced it using the AC30 TB PRE, but I have not managed to get it to go wrong if I swap from another AMP model to the PLEXI LEAD.  I have also reproduced it going from AC15 PRE to a JT45 NRM PRE.  Weird.

I am wondering if it is a bug or if it is just something wrong with my gear.   So - has anyone else experienced this or had a similar problem?   Thanks.

Yes. Same exact setup as you. Recently got the dt25 and updated all the firmware for each device and noticed it.

It's very annoying and not gig worthy as it stands with the patch switch ugliness..

On the DT25 are you using the head or the combo?

I am using the head. I also have it plugged into a 16ohm cab if that matters to line6 for any reason..

Now that I know I am not the only one... I will mess around with different configurations to see if I can isolate where it's coming from.

I hope line6 fixes this soon.

Hi coreyglaze. Thanks for your comments. I have the DT25 combo. I have raised a support ticket with Line6 and will let you know what they say.

It's late here in the UK now so I will try your fix tomorrow to see if it fixes it for me. Only problem though, is that I use my HD500 to swap models on the JTV when I change patch, so if I set it to DON'T FORCE model, then I will have to manually change the JTV model when I change patches which removes one of the main features of the dream rig, and it is a feature I rely on. But it is worth trying to see if whe can isolate the glitch in the code for Line6 to fix.

I will update tomorrow on what I find. Thanks again for your help.

OK. tested this morning. Unfortunately turning Variax control to DON'T FORCE MODEL did not fix it for me, and I don't have LOCAL CONTROL option as its set to n/a as its not available for flash 1.71.

I tested at low volume on my DT25 combo, basically with MASTER set to just above 8 o'clock as that is the lowest it will go before cutting out and producing no sound. At this low level it appears as if there is also a volume boost with the treble or high mid-range boost, but it may just be that the higher frequencies appear louder at a lower volume, and when I hit the patch button again and the sound returns to normal with the low end coming back in, it appears as if the volume drops, which may well be due to lower frequencies appearing to be lower in volume than they actually are as per Fletcher-Munson effect.

My only work abounds at the moment are to either hit the patch button twice before playing to ensure the correct sound comes through rather than the high-end boost, OR to not use the AC models for a clean sound that will be used before swapping to the PLEXI model, which is far from ideal as the AC model sounds fit better for what I do.

I hope Line6 can recreate and come up with a fix.

Thanks for the update coreyglaze.

I have been unable to recreate my original problem but now I get a different issue.  When I swap patches  - sometimes there is no sound on initial patch change, as if I have muted the output, then press the patch button a second time and the sound returns or it is unmuted.  This is intermittent - no idea of when it will happen next.  When I last tested trying to recreate the original issue, and was continually swapping patches for about 30 minutes, I got this muted problem about one in every 20 changes approximately.

No - it's not connected to the PC and HDEDIT when I encounter this problem.  It's just JTV59 connected with VDI to HD500 which is connected with L6 Link AES cable to DT25.

Yes - I already have an open ticket with L6 Support - they have suggested  try another power source for the HD500 and if possible another power supply rather than the supplied one.  I am trying to find one so I can test to see if changing the power supply fixes the issue.