Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording the guitar AND BeatBuddy drum pedal plugged into AUX or MP3/CD

zartimus

I just got a beatBuddy drum pedal. I want to record song ideas into the Spider Jam so I plug the drum pedal in MP3/CD 1/8 inch jack, the guitar into the guitar jack and when I record (with input set to guitar) I just get just the guitar. If I plug the beat buddy into the 1/4 inch AUX and set the input yo AUX/MIC I get clean drums and no guitar. If I hold down the input button for 2 seconds and select "mix with guitar" then I get drums and guitar recorded but the drums share the overdrive tone used for the guitar and gets all distorted (this is not input level distortion, it's from the tone/dist effect). 

Am I missing a way to record a clean beat buddy pedal and the distorted guitar sound on the Spider Jam?

The routing seems odd. 

Think of it as playing your own backing track into the spider via the MP3 input and playing along, BUT you want to record it to the Spider JAM's internal recording. 

Can't seem to do it without mono-ising it as a WAV and moving it to the SD card..

Maybe helps (page A.3 of Spider Jam Advanced Guide [Rev B]):

Aux Track Distortion
Q: When I use the Aux track for recording my guitar track and I add Aux FX Presets, my
guitar sometimes sounds distorted when I play it back; it sounds fine while recording.  
What’s up?
A:
When  recording  to  the  Aux  track,  you’re  essentially  in  “input  monitor† mode,
meaning you’re hearing your guitar’s input, not its output.  When you add Aux FX like
EQ, for example, you’re also boosting level.  This can result in distortion that you only
hear on playback.  The cure for this is, if you’re recording on the Aux track and you’re
boosting your level with Aux FX, simply lower your input level to avoid distortion.

Maybe helps (page A.3 of Spider Jam Advanced Guide [Rev B]):

Aux Track Distortion

Q: When I use the Aux track for recording my guitar track and I add Aux FX Presets, my

guitar sometimes sounds distorted when I play it back; it sounds fine while recording.  

What’s up?

A:

When  recording  to  the  Aux  track,  you’re  essentially  in  “input  monitor† mode,

meaning you’re hearing your guitar’s input, not its output.  When you add Aux FX like

EQ, for example, you’re also boosting level.  This can result in distortion that you only

hear on playback.  The cure for this is, if you’re recording on the Aux track and you’re

boosting your level with Aux FX, simply lower your input level to avoid distortion.

Thanks for checking!

I had given that a try already. When i change to a clean sound the distortion on the drums goes away. That's why I don't think it's input level distortion, it's from the tone/dist effect. 

I will run through that again though, just in case I msised something.. 

I don't think it can be done. I have a beat buddy and when I get some time I'll see if I can record the guitar and unprocessed drums at the same time with the Spider Jams recorder but if I recall correctly I had trouble trying to do it a while ago and gave up. I usually just plug the BB into the CD/mp3 jack and play along with the drums and then mic the amp using a mic and my X3 Pro or HD500 or just using a USB mic into my computer.

Edited by Brazzy

I don't know for sure about the Spider Jam but I do know that the CD/MP3 input in the POD products can't be recorded over the POD's USB connection to the DAW. That's because the CD/MP3 analog input signal is passed directly to the device outputs. It is not converted within the POD to a digital format and hence is not available for the USB output.

• Upvote 1

I don't know for sure about the Spider Jam but I do know that the CD/MP3 input in the POD products can't be recorded over the POD's USB connection to the DAW. That's because the CD/MP3 analog input signal is passed directly to the device outputs. It is not converted within the POD to a digital format and hence is not available for the USB output.

Thanks for explaining the Pod part of it silverhead. I'm going to see what I can get the Sider Jam to do at some point.