Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you change Snapshots with a Variax?

ColonelForbin

Just occurred to me, and I don't have a variax anymore to test this, but it might be cool to assign Snapshot changes to your selector blade on a Variax? Possible?

If you have a Standard, or JTV69, could you do the 5-way blade to toggle between five snapshots?;Be sweet, accessible from your guitar! Not sure it's feasible, I still don't have a firm handle on what does or does not work with Snapshots. Snappers. Snappy. Snap-tastic. Snap-a-liscous. Snap-a-relli. Snap-o'rama! Snap-errific. Snazzy Snapshots! Love 'em. great work fellas! :)

No, but you can do it the other way around... You can change Variax models per snapshot. You can also still use the Variax tone and volume knobs as controllers for almost any parameter in the Helix.

• 3 years later...

Thread Necro!

So, I have a situation where this would be really useful.  I have recently joined a band that takes up a lot of stage space.  I play mostly keys, and have my Helix under my feet with some Midi controls (the recent ability to make a midi toggle "momentary" makes my life much easier - used to have to do a janky work-around).  The problem is that I also play bass and guitar on some songs.  Bass is easy enough - one of the singers doubles on keys, so she jumps behind the keyboard and I grab my bass and take her former place on stage. 

The trouble is that I am not allowed to permanently take up any space on the front line of the stage beyond my keyboard (to be fair, the girls are talented dancers/frontwomen - they use the space well).  Bass I can get by on one sound per song - guitar, not so much.   If I could change snapshots from the guitar - even just toggle between two - it would go a long way to solving that problem.  

I've been toying with possible workarounds - my JTV59 arrives tomorrow.  One idea is to have the volume knob inversely control the modelling volume - so that the mags full up is the modelling off, and vice versa.  But then I lose the ability to ride the volume knob without blending the two sounds.  I suppose I could make the tone knob control a "volume pedal" in Helix....this is already getting complicated.  

Anyway, my 2 cents for this being a future feature - I trust the Line 6 guys can come up with a better implementation of this than I can.  Also, if anyone has further suggestions for solutions to this stage problem, or wishes to continue the conversation about variax->Helix control, I'd love to hear you.